Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across an interesting (for me) find. It was an 1894 in .44 Magnum, but had a pistol grip, not the straight grip. Did Marlin ever make one like this (not in their current catalog), or is this a modified rifle? Is it rare (should I snap it up?)?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Brophy's book did not identify any pistol grip 44mag rifles. His book was copyrighted in 1989 so lots of things could have happened since. It should be noted that it is very easy to change from a straight grip to a pistol grip and vice versa. (Look at the instructions on this in the reference section). So either it is post 1989 or modified. I would go take a closer look.

·
Registered
455 Posts
*** RETROFIT ?? ***

I believe SURESHOT is right about a retrofit being the simple answer .

I have a 1984 FG in .41 Mag. that I bought new last year .

Marlin's .41's were out of production for a long time , and I'd always kicked myself for not getting one when they were available , ( in past years ) . --- But I always hesitated to get one because of the straight stock .

I prefer the pistolgrip stock design because it places the strong hand in better position for good trigger control , --- and because it fits / feels better to me in general . --- So I was pretty enthusiastic when the new model came out W/ pistol grip .

Somewhere in my researching the FG , --- I believe it was on this Forum ; --- someone spoke of ordering a new tang / frame and stock from the Factory , --- and said that it was an inexpensive and simple bolt-on fix , --- if you wanted any '94 with a pistol grip .

I've had no experience with it , -- but it sounded right .

Whether or not it's ever been a production gun , -- I don't know , off-hand .

------------- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If that's the case, I'll skip it. It didn't have any special markings denoting a different model, and he's selling it at full list price.

There's a better shop in town I can get a straight grip at, and he discounts everything that comes in, so I could buy the straight grip and convert it for less $$ than buying this one.

·
Registered
455 Posts
*** 1894 REVISITED ***

--- Yup , --- Well , there's your answer -- My thanks to the " Guest " for a great Website / reference .

--- MAGNUM 88 C , as above , ----- the only thing I didn't like about my new M94FG is the microgroove rifling .

It's harder to clean , ( in my experience anyway ) , and I hear it's not as good with lead bullets , ( that's why the direction by Marlin to produce some newer rifles in the ,
[ more expensive to produce ] , Ballard Deep Cut rifling ) .

If it were me , I'd take the best buy , unless it was with Microgroove , and the other one was Ballard Deep-Cut .

Good Luck in this , --------------- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
58 Posts
You're welcome. (Yeah, I'm the 'Guest', I couldn't log on.) My 1894PG is the Ballard rifling.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The 44 Mag 1894 with pistol grip was made last year and is now no longer made. If you like the pistol grip you might jump on it, even for a few bucks extra. Also, who knows when Marlin will do the pistol grip again in this fine rifle. Personally I prefer the pistol grip but that obviously is personal, as some like the straight grip. I have an 1894SS that I finally shot today, sure wish it was a pistol grip. Have already bought another rifle this month so I couldn't if I ran into one. Tough decision...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts