Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do the pistol calibers not come in a pistol grip option? All the bigger rounds have more pistol grips than straight, or "cowboy" style. The .357 and .44 mag come in one flavor, straight. Then, moving down in size, even the .22 is most often found with a pistol grip. :hmmmm:

I read somewhere that the pistol grip is more effective at controlling the recoil of larger rounds, making for a quicker follow-up shot. That may be true, but it doesn't explain the .22 in pg. I also read someone's comment that the straight grip was quicker to shoulder and aim. Is this science, ergonomically speaking, or opinion? I suppose that a lot of this is subjective, and that everyone has their preference. However, there's a ton of knowledge and experience on this board, and I bet someone here knows more than I do. I'd love to know what you think...

Reactions: LoneRanger

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Because, That's just the way it is, how it's meant to be, you know, the natural order of things, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
There were indeed a few 1894's built with PG stocks...Do not remember the model...

I personally have no need for one as I have always liked 'English' stocks on shotguns, so it naturally rolled over to lever actions when I started playing with them...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Several years ago Marlin made both the .44 and .41 Magnum available with PG stocks.... Apparently they didn't sell well enough to continue in the line.

Personally I don't like PG stocks on any leveraction...but that is just me.

Bob

·
Registered
224 Posts
Each has advantages relative to the other. These are some of my observations of the differences.

1. The straight stock allows the shooter to move his hand a little forwards or backwards to get a better position on the trigger. This can be significant if you sometimes hunt with gloves on.
  2. The pistol grip makes it easier to use the trigger hand to pull the stock tight against the shoulder.
  3. A straight stock makes it easier to use the support hand to hold the rifle against the shoulder. This is particularly noticeable when using a sling in a standing position.
  4. A pistol grip encourages keeping the shooting arm elbow closer to the body. This may make it easier to use the rifle from a bench rest or a tree stand.
  5. IMO, it is easier to use a straight stock in the event someone wants to attack my rifle's butt with his head.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I've never understood this.....

The Winny guys look for pistol gripped 94s, and the Marlin guys seek the straight gripped 336s. I guess it's about a sort of rarity.

Personally, I don't care for one over the other. They all work the same to me, and I don't see any advantage or disadvantage to either. Incidentally, I have both and use both.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Several years ago Marlin made both the .44 and .41 Magnum available with PG stocks.... Apparently they didn't sell well enough to continue in the line.

Personally I don't like PG stocks on any leveraction...but that is just me.

Bob
I've never seen one, but that'd be the pistol caliber I'd choose for a pistol grip. I have a slight preference for the pistol grip, even though two of my favorite Marlins are straight stocked, and I would not change them. The .357 feels right just as it is. Maybe I'll start looking harder for the .44 magnum. Anybody have an 1894 .44 mag with a pistol grip that they'd want to trade for mine?

I read of many here on MO that convert to the cowboy style straight grip, but nobody going the other way. Before I joined, I read of one of the Marlin Owners, I forget who, who had converted a rifle to pistol grip and was going to help others with it, but then never heard of that again.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I personally like the pistol grip in a Marlin,I have a Winny 94 and it comes up real nice with the straight grip.I have a friend who
has alot of leverguns,Marlins and Brownings,he likes the straight grip better,he says his hands are small and his fingers are
short and he can reach the trigger better with the straight grip.I reckon it comes down to whatever you prefer.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I've never seen one, but that'd be the pistol caliber I'd choose for a pistol grip. I have a slight preference for the pistol grip, even though two of my favorite Marlins are straight stocked, and I would not change them. The .357 feels right just as it is. Maybe I'll start looking harder for the .44 magnum. Anybody have an 1894 .44 mag with a pistol grip that they'd want to trade for mine?

I read of many here on MO that convert to the cowboy style straight grip, but nobody going the other way. Before I joined, I read of one of the Marlin Owners, I forget who, who had converted a rifle to pistol grip and was going to help others with it, but then never heard of that again.
Well, they were meant to be carbines, not rifles, and lever carbines usually have straight stocks. There were a few 1894PGs made, they're fairly rare, and spendy when found, but they are out there. As far as conversions, you either have to find parts from a PG or bend trigger plate and lever from a straight stock carbine and do some patchup on a pistol-grip 336 stock. The last isn't a project for a tyro if a good-looking result is wanted. Any parts for a PG model have to come FROM a PG model, so might as well find one of those to start with. Marlin didn't make that many spare trigger plates and levers for them and nobody is doing aftermarket parts. 1894s have never sold as well as the 336s so any variations that didn't sell even as well as the standard versions got knocked in the head early on, Marlin wasn't going to carry large inventories of white elephants.

Stan S.

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
I always considered myself a pistol grip guy and after just counting my 11 lever actions I realized 7 are straight. I also have the coveted 41 FG bought new, and I never understood why that was a pistol grip and the 44 next to it the same day was straight.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What did FG stand for? What years were they made? Barrel band or end cap? I've never seen one on Gunbroker or anywhere else, and I look a lot.

Hey Sniper and Bassetman, post a pic!

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've never been a fan of straight gripped stocks. A buddy of mine had a pair of Rem 1100 Special Field's in 12 & 20. He loved them and I hated them. This year I replaced my old 1895 Guide Gun with a GBL because the pistol grip feels more natural to me. My 1894 44mag is straight stocked and I tolerate it with the addition of a big loop. I would welcome 1894's with a pistol grip but with the state of manufacture as it is I will not hold my breath. Finding ANY 1894 that is not being held hostage is so much a challenge. I won't pay the ransom!

Reactions: Brocky

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stumpy,

Over in the "Other For Sale/Wanted" section, MuleCrazy is selling some 1894 Pistol Grip Levers, I got one to see about changing my .44 to Pistol Grip in the near future.

Santa's Cleaning House Marlin Levers For Sale
He's got a couple left, I think.

Good luck.

Reactions: stumpy54

·
Registered
289 Posts
Brocky stated: "I read of many here on MO that convert to the cowboy style straight grip, but nobody going the other way. Before I joined, I read of one of the Marlin Owners, I forget who, who had converted a rifle to pistol grip and was going to help others with it, but then never heard of that again."

I for one go exclusively for the pistol grip models. My son wants an 1894C to go with his S&W 686 and he also wants it to have the pistol grip. SO, I'm collecting parts to change the straight stock to PG. Sadly, there were NOT a lot of 1894PG and 1894FG models nor parts made, thus making the conversion a real challenge. Maybe the membership here will be the answer to my problem.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My first and only Marlin (so far) is an 1894PG which is a .44 Magnum with the pistol grip. I have since learned from many of the members on this forum that they were only produced in 2002 and 2003 or thereabouts. I had no idea I was purchasing a collectors item and thus I have no intention of treating it like a collectors item. Don't get me wrong, I treat all my firearms with the utmost respect, but this will never be a safe queen. I LOVE this gun, and so does everyone who shoots it!

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
The 1894PG is the 44 Mag and the 1894FG is the 41 Mag. Both are pistol gripped.

ETA: Had to go check my notes... The 1894PG was made in 2003 and 2004. The 1894FG from 2003 to 2007. I don't have anything on production numbers as they were both regular catalog items, but I've personally seen far fewer FGs than PGs.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
The 1894PG is the 44 Mag and the 1894FG is the 41 Mag. Both are pistol gripped.

ETA: Had to go check my notes... The 1894PG was made in 2003 and 2004. The 1894FG from 2003 to 2007. I don't have anything on production numbers as they were both regular catalog items, but I've personally seen far fewer FGs than PGs.
When I bought my 2006 1894SS 44 mag the store also had a 2007 1894FG 41 mag. I looked at both carefully and chose the 1894SS, I should have bought both maybe but could see no use for both a 44 mag and a 41 mag lever...to me a levergun looks better with the straight grip but that's just me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts