Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I spent the weekend at the local range. Pistol calibre CLAS was the Sat arvo shoot, with a rifle calibre shoot on Sunday morning. So, I packed the guns, grabbed the ammo, put the beers into ice, and headed to the range and stayed overnight.
:tee:

The pistol cal match turned out a bit special for me, as I started on rams, and the 1894m was knocking them over fine. 8/10, and I got the first bank clean which is a first for me. Went on to score 25/40 (damn those turkeys), which is either my PB for pistol cal, or darn near. I haven't bothered to check my records, as I'm just happy with how it went.

The stay at the range involved drinking those icy beers and good company (actually, quite a few of those beers), and eventually a delivery from the local pizza joint that was very welcome. And then in the morning a rifle cal match in gusty crosswinds saw the Zane Grey do well enough to get me a 21/40. I was happy with that, but would have liked to have done better on the rams. I only got 2, and I just couldn't get the measure of the wind. Never mind, I'll put it down to experience. It was still a really good shoot.

Anyway, that was my weekend. I could have done a lot of other things and I would have enjoyed them a lot less! :biggrin:

regards, curan

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Shoots are fun. Nothing beats hearing that pling and ding downrange. It's immediate feedback that leads to instant satisfaction and gratification.

The turkeys were always my kryptonite too. Sort of like the 34 foot tower in jump school ... something about the range/distance and size of the targets that throws me off and I don't know why. (In jump school they used to tell us that 34 feet above ground, ie: the 34 foot towers, were 34 feet up and 1000 feet down. An optical illusion if you will.)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shoots are fun. Nothing beats hearing that pling and ding downrange....(snip)
You know, you're right, there was a lot of satisfaction in that, but there was also a lot of satisfaction in doing it with the 1804m.
There are many who reckon 22mag hasn't got the oomph for rams, and on a rear quartering wind day with hard set rams, I won't disagree. But there are many cals and loads that fail when everything is against them, otherwise we would never have ringers. Wrong day, wrong conditions and a low body hit can have a 38/55 ring one and leave it standing (rare, I know).
But if the rams are set well, and the wind is cross or better, I reckon that the right ammo in 22mag will do it (Federal Gameshock for me). And I got the 8/10 rams with only one "twisting" shot where I hit a leg. The others fell back square. That gives me a lot of confidence in the rifle and the ammo.

And that is a big part of why I loved the day!

regards, curan.

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
16,812 Posts
Hey Curan,

Them feral flat critters can sure be tricky!

Think they put electric magnets on the feet of the turkey critters. LOL

Later, Mark

Reactions: curan

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good to see the 22mag is working for you with 50gr.
After watching some of the tumble targets get shot at the AV get together at Yass I'm even more convinced weight and dwell time is the way to do it.
168gr jacketed from 300mag at full speed punched straight through without moving it, 350gr cast from 45/70 at 1400fps nearly bent it in half and made it walk 10-15m back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts