Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of buying a 336C/35rem and one of the reasons is that I want to make light plinker loads and shoot cheap pistol bullets. How do different jacket types do? Lead vs copper plated vs real jacketed?

Thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Jacketed pistol bullets do just fine without much, if any, loss in accuracy. Your lead bullets should be at least .359 or even .360, some bullet casters will size them that way (Penn Bullets for one), but .358 lead might be a little loose and create a leading problem (so I've been told - I shoot .359 lead with gas checks and don't have a problem). If you want to try lead, slug your barrel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I load 158 gr with 2400 for the 14" Contender, data in Hornady Manual.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I shoot only cast and am here to tell you, the usual cast pistol bullets are way small for the .35 Rem. Paper patche them and they might work but why not fo ahead and get a mould that fits the bore and use something that fits/works as intended. Learn to shoot it and you have a killing machine fit for any game on this continent.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Wait for swany to chime in on this - - IIRC, he has a pet load or two for the .35 Remington using pistol bullets that exhibit some pretty spectacular accuracy... I reckon he'll share. Provided you're nice about it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone have any experience with plated bullets if pushed slowly? What I'm thinking about is some low velocity fun plinking rounds...

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
I think nearly everyone with a 35 Remmy eventually plays with pistol bullets, and I'm no different. I have always kept a lot of Remington 357/158 JHP's on hand, so that's where my testing started........and ended. I randomly selected a load of 8.1 grains of Unique, loaded my bullets in the cases, and headed for the range. I fired two fouling shots to clear the barrel, then shot a group at 50 yards. Five shots snugged down into a nice one-inch group, so I let the barrel cool and fired five more. Measuring the group later, it came in at .501", and my load testing was done! Unique is easy to ignite, but for testing I made sure I pointed the gun skyward before each shot, to move the powder down near the primer and flash hole. Some of the necks were tighter than others, and there were some variations in velocity, but the average speed was 1293 feet a second, and the accuracy was fine.

Maybe it's just my rifles, but every time I try Winchester bullets (which I could buy at wholesale from a shooting buddy) the groups open up, and I don't mean a little.......groups size triples. My 1894C is the same way, which I verified this week. My Marlin 357 shot a sweet little 1/2 inch group with the Remmy bullets, and when I tried the same load with the Winny bullets, groups at 50 yards were over five inches. Not knocking Olin products, but my results are what they are.

Reactions: SC Reb

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Subscribed! Just finished reloading a couple of boxes of 200 grain RNCL over 37 grains of 3031 (11/16" group at 50 yards) and am planning some JHP pistol bullet loads. Probably with some left over Hornady 140 grain HP's a friend just gave me. Powder will probably be 3031, Unique, or Green Dot.

I have some 240 grain cast I would love to use but the are sized and gas checked at .358. They don't shoot too well out of my 356 Winnie. I wonder if powder coating would help them better fit the bore?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Found a load for 158 JHP .357 bullets using the same 37 grains of 3031 I was using in my 200 RN Corelock load. Fired the first batch today. WOW! Great accuracy from my Savage 170! Four rounds in to two holes with those two nearly touching. Group size was 5/8" at 50 yards! This was rested with only a small forend sandbag and buttstock on the shoulder. Book velocity is supposed to be 2200 fps but no chrony available. I would be afraid to use that load on deer as I would expect the pistol bullet to completely come apart at impact due to the velocity and design. (I recovered a similar bullet fired from a 356 BB. All that was found was a cross shaped flat jacket with NO lead attached.) Also surprising was the fact that the 158 and 200 grain bullets shot to a very similar point of impact with the groups being separated by less than an inch in either the Savage or the 336.

I was also surprised when I tried the 200 grain load that worked so well in the 336 in the Savage again. This time Four shots in 1 1/8" with 3 slightly overlapping in to one oblong hole and one nearly touching. However, that load did produce one flyer (the third of 5 shots) that would blow the group to 2.5". I suspect the flyer was caused by a different hold on the two piece Savage stock.

I also tried my first cast bullet load for the 35 Rem. A 240 grain gaschecked lead FN over 27.7 grains of 3031. Due to the bullet profile that load would not function in the Savage at all allowing the bolt to close but not allowing the firing pin to hit the primer as the bolt seems to have remained out of battery. Only a distinct click. It did function in the 336 but required the lever be forced enough to close the bolt the last 1/8" by forcing the bullet slightly further in to the case. The case was crimped on the forward most crimp groove and was substantially shorter than the RN Corelock load. The FN wide body bullet profile is apparently engaging the rifling or throat prior to the bolt closing completely A three inch group with two touching but the bullet will obviously need to be seated further in to the case. I'm thinking I will eventually powder coat these once I can come up with a decent load that actually functions. So back to the drawing board for the cast load.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I shoot a healthy dose of H-335 behind the 180 Hornady XTP and it is really accurate but the 180's seem really hard to find. I never could figure why I needed a 357 when I have a 35 Rem that will run the bullets faster if i want them to.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Pics of the cast bullet I was using. Unlubed and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox with a gas check.

Target shows the 158 grain JHP's with the smallest group up top. 4 rounds in to two holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
No cast expert here. Do use a 35 cal FP 247gr. bullet in the 35 Rem lately. Found here, that to get the bullet deep enough to function in the 336 without issues, have to seat the bullet deeper than the available lube grooves and crimp on the body of the bullet itself. Someone suggested Leverlution powder, and have up to 2,000 fps without pressure signs in the 35. Have used AA2520 and H335 with good success in the past in 356 with this bullet weight.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I shot the 158 gr Hornady XTP at the lower end with H322 for deer hunting with my 14 inch Contender. It works great on deer as the bullet explodes on impact. I know two holes are better on game but the deer dropped in their tracks as I only hunted short range in the woods. I have since changed to the Hornady 180 gr single shot pistol bullet because I was hunting some small fields and thought the pointed bullet would give me better accuracy at 150 yards.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
If you don't want to cast & need a larger diameter bullet, you can try .38 Smith & Wesson bullets as opposed to .38 Special bullets.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Didn't Swany say something about using pistol bullets on deer out of the 35 Rem?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've had very good success using Remington 125 gr and 140 gr JHPs in my 336 RC. SR4759 is the powder with charges running from 15 to 19 grains with Winchester caps. Groups at 50 yds are less than an inch for 3-5 shots from rest. 17.0 gr of SR4759 with the 140 gr JHP chrono's at 1800 fps with an extreme spread of 27. This should give spectacular expansion on varmints of the woodchuck variety, thou I've not tried it. The combination gives less than 1" gps at 50 yds, with a 2.5x scope mounted.

Oddly enough, I find that groups open very little from barrel heating making them good plinking and varmint loads. I've yet to try my cast bullets however. As always, these loads were were worked up for my gun. You should consult a GOOD manual, consider the pressure implications and work up your own. Best Regards, Rod

Reactions: SC Reb

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Back in 1974 when I was a newly married SSgt stationed in New Mexico, I loaded both jacketed and cast in my 35 Rem. A 158 grain SWC would really put a hurt on a jack rabbit or coyote.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Well, I guess I'll have to give up on the cast bullet load for my 35 Remington for now. The particular bullet profile has the ogive starting too far out. Even with the bullet seater turned all the way down, it won't seat the bullet far enough in to the case to function in the 336. At least not without the rifling pushing the bullet the rest of the way down when I force the lever closed. 35 Cast 240s.JPG This profile just won't work! At least not unless I seat it so far that it almost looks like a wadcutter load and that would take a different seater.

Any suggestions for a good commonly available mold profile that would work with the 35's short throats?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts