Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to glass bed a Xs7 into a Boyd's stock this weekend. I've bedded a bunch of rifles before but never put pillars in one. Can someone please post a link up to where to get the pillars? Don't want to order the wrong ones. Also, any ideas on how big to drill the holes? Just thought about this also, am I going to need longer screws?

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Dangerous Dan is getting mine finished up and that is something he doing to mine. PM him and I'm sure he would be willing to help ya out with an answer or 2. He's always willing to guide a feller down the right path. DP

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have made and installed pillars in another rifle (Rem 700) but to me there is not enough wood around the rear screw on my Boyds XL7 stock. I think it would be a very tricky thing to do. If anyone has any pictures I would be interested to see how it turned out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably going to just skim bed it with some jb weld. I sho would hate to mess up my buddy's brand new stock and have to buy him another. :'(

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have recently installed a Boyds' thumb hole stock on my XS7 and after tightening the action have "Dollar bill" barrel clearance back to the action. I know that after a while, the wood will shrink due to compression (most wooden stocks do this in time).

Has anyone here pillar bedded a Boyds' laminated stock and have you used standard pillars from a supplier?

Thanks,
Trigger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dangerous,
I guess I could turn some on my lathe. I have heard that squared off pillars are better than contoured but I would value your opinion in this matter!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I Cut all My Pillars and Action Saddles at The same Time so Mine Fit the action . Then Bed The Gun Hope This helps DD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts