Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a box of these 350 PD's from Beartooth. it has the same meplat as the 420 PDJ, should be a sweetheart of a round over 24 to 26 grs of AA2400! Anyone played with these so far? ( I'm still waiting on my new to me 45-70 to come from PA.)

· Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooops, I meant "Alliant"! :D
I ordered the .460" diameter, and got them in 3 days! I live in Utah, so it's not that far from Marshall's place up in Idaho. Big, big meplat! Sheboygin!

· Premium Member
4,040 Posts
preacher said:
Ooops, I meant "Alliant"! :D
I ordered the .460" diameter, and got them in 3 days! I live in Utah, so it's not that far from Marshall's place up in Idaho. Big, big meplat! Sheboygin!
preacher ;D

24-26grs of 2400 is a “Trapdoor” starting load, it’ll run ~1400fps…And a fun load to spend the day at the range with….Trapdoor loads were also responsible for the killing of just a few buffs too!! :)

That new 350gr bullet Marshall’s offering didn’t exist when I was buying bullets…It should be a good one.

· Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Rowdy, I will probably work up to between 1500 and 1650, depending upon the accuracy. I like a thumper, but with that hard cast, and where & the way I hunt with a levergun, I just don't need more than that. Like you said, fun to shoot too! I use 22.5gr behind a 265 BT in my Win BB94 .375..very pleasent and hits hard. Plus, that 2400 burns up in the barrel, practically no muzzleflash.
I have 420 PDJr's going 1650, they are not bad to shoot either! I may have to test this Lite 350 ( almost an oxymoron ain't it?) on a big hog's shoulder bones to see what it does. Hogs are great bullet tests for elk size critters, so solid, so fun too,ha!

· Registered
149 Posts
I just started experimenting with them (350’s). I loaded some going about 1800fps using H-335. This is my first time shooting cast out of a 45-70, but they seem to be ok. My guide gun seems to shoot them better than my buddies 1895 made in 78 with micro grooving. I have only shot my first round of tester loads focusing on bullet speeds/ leading more than accuracy. I have loaded 30 up for the accuracy testing, we should be doing soon. Good luck!

· Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Zip, this rifle I have coming is a MicroGroove I'm pretty sure. It was a "Pre-Guide gun" the fellow converted to a Guide Gun Configuration, but he also added a full length mag tube, ala GBL. I have found if I shoot the biggest diameter available, I can get any MG barrel to shoot it, with the right powder combo. I sure love that big Meplat...I think I'll name this rifle 'Ol Stump Blower",ha. I'll report later, I think the rifle will ship out this coming Monday. Meantime, I'm playing with a new to me Mark X '06 and a Tanker Garand in .308...life is "always" good! Have a good 'un.

· Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Start at 44gr and work up to about 46/47 with H4198. I base this on what I use behind the Hornady 350 RN ( I usually end up around 46gr for 1900+) I don't want that much speed with these BT, that's why I am settling on 2400, but H4198 is a great powder in a 45-70 or 444.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.