Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a box of these 350 PD's from Beartooth. it has the same meplat as the 420 PDJ, should be a sweetheart of a round over 24 to 26 grs of AA2400! Anyone played with these so far? ( I'm still waiting on my new to me 45-70 to come from PA.)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Great, I have been wondering how those would shoot. I'm looking forward to your posts. What diameter did you order? BTW, how long did it take to get your bullets after you ordered them?

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooops, I meant "Alliant"! :D
I ordered the .460" diameter, and got them in 3 days! I live in Utah, so it's not that far from Marshall's place up in Idaho. Big, big meplat! Sheboygin!

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
preacher said:
Ooops, I meant "Alliant"! :D
I ordered the .460" diameter, and got them in 3 days! I live in Utah, so it's not that far from Marshall's place up in Idaho. Big, big meplat! Sheboygin!
preacher ;D

24-26grs of 2400 is a “Trapdoor” starting load, it’ll run ~1400fps…And a fun load to spend the day at the range with….Trapdoor loads were also responsible for the killing of just a few buffs too!! :)

That new 350gr bullet Marshall’s offering didn’t exist when I was buying bullets…It should be a good one.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Rowdy, I will probably work up to between 1500 and 1650, depending upon the accuracy. I like a thumper, but with that hard cast, and where & the way I hunt with a levergun, I just don't need more than that. Like you said, fun to shoot too! I use 22.5gr behind a 265 BT in my Win BB94 .375..very pleasent and hits hard. Plus, that 2400 burns up in the barrel, practically no muzzleflash.
I have 420 PDJr's going 1650, they are not bad to shoot either! I may have to test this Lite 350 ( almost an oxymoron ain't it?) on a big hog's shoulder bones to see what it does. Hogs are great bullet tests for elk size critters, so solid, so fun too,ha!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just started experimenting with them (350’s). I loaded some going about 1800fps using H-335. This is my first time shooting cast out of a 45-70, but they seem to be ok. My guide gun seems to shoot them better than my buddies 1895 made in 78 with micro grooving. I have only shot my first round of tester loads focusing on bullet speeds/ leading more than accuracy. I have loaded 30 up for the accuracy testing, we should be doing soon. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Zip, this rifle I have coming is a MicroGroove I'm pretty sure. It was a "Pre-Guide gun" the fellow converted to a Guide Gun Configuration, but he also added a full length mag tube, ala GBL. I have found if I shoot the biggest diameter available, I can get any MG barrel to shoot it, with the right powder combo. I sure love that big Meplat...I think I'll name this rifle 'Ol Stump Blower",ha. I'll report later, I think the rifle will ship out this coming Monday. Meantime, I'm playing with a new to me Mark X '06 and a Tanker Garand in .308...life is "always" good! Have a good 'un.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just finished loading 50 of these. H322 50 to 56.0 grains. Have to wait till next week to go to the range. :(

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Start at 44gr and work up to about 46/47 with H4198. I base this on what I use behind the Hornady 350 RN ( I usually end up around 46gr for 1900+) I don't want that much speed with these BT, that's why I am settling on 2400, but H4198 is a great powder in a 45-70 or 444.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts