Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One shot DRTs are the norm for this rifle. It is become my go to gal for darn near everything.

The young man that was with us chose to use my 870 slug gun instead of the 336, 35 Rem so it's going to be a while before it gets broke in. Of the 3 harvested (1 with a 12 ga slug, one with a in line 50 cal front stuffer and the 94, the 94 was the only one to get a DRT. The 50 actually seperated the jacket from the bullet just under the skin and blew up the shoulder it went in and didn't exit.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Loks like an awesome hunt! I can't wait to break in my 1894SS..

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Mmmmmm, bacon! Nice shooting. Gotta love a DRT Piggy. Down & Dirty is the way to do it. 8)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Excellent hunt! But there is about to be a lot of cleaning done.

·
Registered
20,300 Posts
Congrats on a great hunt!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good stuff Woody. Where'd you take it, sure doesn't look like Florida!

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Judging by the barrel band it's either a 1894C or a very early 44 Mag.

Actually the more I look at it, the more inclined I am to think it's an early 44 Mag. Looks more like a 20" barrel than the 18.5" that the 1894C would have.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The rifle is a 44 mag but I noticed something odd on the markings. It says it's a "Modle1694", it is definately not a 8, it's a 6, that's it, no C after nothing. It has a squared off lever, not a rounded one like the 336s or the 1894 I got my son in 357. I think I'm going to start calling it my Barney Fife gun, because all you need is to carry 1 bullet in your shirt pocket when you go on a hunt.
We were at Hog Heaven Ranch in Muse, Fl. This is my second year going there. I don't have the time to invest in, or money for a lease to hog hunt proper here in Fl. I also live in the very south east corner of the state so even a good WMA is 250 miles away and you aren't likly to get drawn for one near you anyway. This is a good happy medium for some good meat, a great day out with the guys and some great hospility from the ranch staff and owner. If any of you fellas want a good meat hog, don't want to have to dismantle the stinkin critter after the fact (they clean an quarter them for you)and want a decent little stalk for a very reasonable price, this is the spot.
For ammo, I was using what the rifle likes best and the critters it's pointed at like least. Hornady Leverevolution 225 grain, they flat put meat on the ground and go where they are pointed. The only critters that we've had total pass throughs on were deer hit on the button in the fold behind the shoulder or back. Head shot's on hogs and bear have all stayed in the knoggin. I've got the head coming back from the bear my son took with it and will fish out the bullet after I defleshing, I really want to see what's left of it after smacking aginst the inside of his skull.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Oh yeah...........Pork chops and apple sauce!!! ;)

Nice going!!

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Good deal so you going to make head cheeze or is that and pickled pig feet out :)

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Seems you had a great time. Thanks for sharing Woody.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Buckhorn, I never have been able to shoot peep sights worth a hoot. My AR and Mini 14 both sport scopes for just that reason. I would like to get a ladder sight though. The fella on the forum here has been saying he will have them available but every time I check they aren't done yet. I can wait though

·
Registered
419 Posts
lilwoody, that's a nice rifle you have there and a good meat hog you shot. congrats... ;)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Congrats on your successfull hunt. My question is when do we eat? Take care, enjoy the pork for all of us, John.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts