Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
cjhollic said:
I see a leash around one pigs neck, were they tied to a tree? :)
Wish they were....only free and WILD hawgs here i`m afraid 8).
Had to drag the hawg some 800metres through the snow(2feet+) to get to the nearest road. Carrying the hawg over the shoulder is perhaps a bit more macho but not easily done when you got a slinged gun on the other shoulder and two leashed dogs ;D. Especially in the middle of the night...
Look at the coat on that pig and you`l notice that it looks like its fur has been combed cause of draggin through the darn snow;D.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
danny.k said:
cjhollic said:
I see a leash around one pigs neck, were they tied to a tree? :)
Wish they were....only free and WILD hawgs here i`m afraid 8).
Had to drag the hawg some 800metres through the snow(2feet+) to get to the nearest road. Carrying the hawg over the shoulder is perhaps a bit more macho but not easily done when you got a slinged gun on the other shoulder and two leashed dogs ;D. Especially in the middle of the night...
Look at the coat on that pig and you`l notice that it looks like its fur has been combed cause of draggin through the darn snow;D.
Yea, I knew it was for dragging but I gotta be me and try to be funny. I cant imagine having to drag it through two feet of snow. I dont like walking in two feet of snow. How much do those things weigh. They look smaller and different than the feral pigs where I hunt.

·
Registered
330 Posts
"Our" hawgs have the latin name Sus scrofa.
Compared to regular "farmpigs" they are shorter in length, have higher but less wide bodies, wild hairdues and a BAD temper.
Big mature boars here typically reach weights of 150-250kg(rare that they get bigger) and any sow over 100kg is big ;).

Weights for the ones above as is are-->

Hawg 1 (pic 1): 13 kg
2 (pic 2): 30 kg
3 (pic 3-4): 98 kg
4 (pic 5): 32 kg

F

·
0 Posts
danny.k said:
"Our" hawgs have the latin name Sus scrofa.
Compared to regular "farmpigs" they are shorter in length, have higher but less wide bodies, wild hairdues and a BAD temper.
Big mature boars here typically reach weights of 150-250kg(rare that they get bigger) and any sow over 100kg is big ;).

Weights for the ones above as is are-->

Hawg 1 (pic 1): 13 kg
2 (pic 2): 30 kg
3 (pic 3-4): 98 kg
4 (pic 5): 32 kg

Still the same animal genetically as a domestic or "farm" pig.

Same critters in either place, but they're probably just a generation or two farther removed from domesticity in one place than the other.

:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Snatched this from "wiki".
The ones we have here are apparently Sus scrofa scrofa but i would like to import some of the turkish "atila" version :eek:.

Wild boar (Sus scrofa) is a species of pig, including at least 16 subspecies, and part of the biological family Suidae. It is the wild ancestor of the domestic pig, an animal with which it freely hybridises.[2] Wild boar are native across much of Northern and Central Europe, the Mediterranean Region (including North Africa's Atlas Mountains) and much of Asia as far south as Indonesia. Populations have also been artificially introduced in some parts of the world, most notably the Americas and Australasia; principally for hunting. Elsewhere, populations have also become established after escapes of wild boar from captivity.[3]

Nuff bout this, lets see some piggies ;D

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
You gave my math skills a workout, been a while since I worked with metric weights. It looks like a lot of fun and doesnt seen to be a shortage of them. Wish I had a reason to travel there.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
danny.k said:
<edited for brevity>

Here is my last one. (about 200 pounds) I'm going again next week. Hopefully I will do as well as you.

Take a close look between my eyes. Any idea what that is?

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Guys, can you actually eat a wild boar? Domestic boar (the non castrated kind) IMHO are just plain nasty tasting. Even stink when you try to cook em. Smoking the meat doesn't cover the stink up either. Soon as it hits the pan it smells like a wet dog that just rolled on something decaying. I'm talking nasty stuff.
358 Win
NRA life member

·
Registered
330 Posts
I`ve heard of it but never experienced it first hand.
Could be that the big boars only taste and smell like s#!t when theyre having a sow/sows in heat nearby during "rut".
A friend of mine totaly impregnated his kitchen once whith that nasty smellin meat ;D.
When i shot a boar i cut of a piece of meat and run it at full throttle for a couple minutes in the microwawe....if it smells bad then toss the hawg. None sofar but sooner or later...

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
danny.k said:
Nice hawg! That eyething...roflmao ;D

Wish I had a reason to travel there.
In my book HUNTING is a reason.
I agree, but my wife wouldnt. I already spent Valentines day hunting hawg, booked another hunt on Easter weekend, (my wife is a devout Catholic) dont want to push the envelope any more than I am.

Now if there happens to be something for a girl from NYC to do, it might be a different story.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
358 Win said:
Guys, can you actually eat a wild boar? Domestic boar (the non castrated kind) IMHO are just plain nasty tasting. Even stink when you try to cook em. Smoking the meat doesn't cover the stink up either. Soon as it hits the pan it smells like a wet dog that just rolled on something decaying. I'm talking nasty stuff.
358 Win
NRA life member
Sure you can. It is all in the preparation, I like to hang my meat for 3 days, soak it in brine for another 2 at about 34 degrees. Winter and early spring it is easy for me, I just use my garage. You need to make sure as much blood is out of the meat as possible. Remove any fat (not much on a wild hawg) and that white filmy stuff. It tastes great.

·
Premium Member
8,311 Posts
cjhollic said:
danny.k said:
<edited for brevity>

Here is my last one. (about 200 pounds) I'm going again next week. Hopefully I will do as well as you.

Take a close look between my eyes. Any idea what that is?

Yer still standing, so I guess you didn't get shot between the eyes. ;D

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
magothy1 said:
Pig wound or scope wound ?
The story I stick to is:

I shot this mean 200 pound hawg, he laid in wait for me to come up and check him out. I kicked him in the testicles to make sure he was dead. That really made him mad, he jumped up and punched me between the eyes, I hit him, he hit me and the fur commenced to flying. About 20 minutes into the fight I prevailed. I was battle scarred and bruised, but I won and got the spoils of war.

Here is the real story as posted in another thread:

Here is how I got him. It should be good for a laugh. I wouldnt post this but everyone heard three shots and I only came back with one hog.

This hog was hanging around my stand for about 45 minutes. It was pretty dark and when I could see my cross hairs I couldnt see the hog. When I could see the hog I couldnt see the cross hairs. After awhile the stars aligned, I saw both and cut loose. I had no idea where I hit him. There was no cognizant decision on the head or shoulders, just cross hairs on a hog. When I was trying to get a good comfortable rest to shoot, I had made some noise so I was afraid to reposition. Unfortunatley my eye was right next to the scope, I knew what was going to happen but I wanted the hog. Sure enough, a laceration between the eyes. It was worth it!

I climbed down out of the stand with my cell phone and pistol to check him out. I was going to call my buddy after I checked him out. I should have taken the spot light! I was using the cell phone for light, walked up to him, gave him a small kick in the testicles and he GOT UP! I nearly soiled myself! He took a step or two towards me and then angled around a mud puddle. I now had a bead on him with my pistol, aimed as best I could in the dark for his head and shot and he fell. (shot number two) Dead right? Nope. I walked a few steps away to make my phone call and hear him rustling around, now he didnt get up this time but was still alive. I put the pistol to his ear and pulled the trigger. (shot 3)

This hog was so big, so mean, so tough, that it took 3 shots to kill him. Well, its possible so dont laugh.

Ok so the real story was that I was so excited I didnt get a good shot.....

At any rate, I had a blast, met a bunch of great people and came away with a hog...

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
I'm new here and don't want to step on toes so I'll just check back shortly to see/hear what the old dogs have to say.
I can hardly wait.

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
I like the first story better. If somebody kicked me in the testiculars, dead or not, I'd get up and poke him in the nose too! :D

F

·
0 Posts
358 Win said:
358 Win
NRA life member
It's testosterone. Gets into the meat and makes it smell really funky. I never noticed that such meat tasted way different, but they say 90% of taste is smell. If you can't get past the smell, you're not likely to put it in your mouth.

I've shot some boars that I didn't even want to handle, they smelled so bad. I've shot and processed others that I couldn't tell until I cooked the meat.

Many cultures consider such meat a delicacy. Those cultures also drink the fermented saliva of old women after they've chewed up fruits, eat the embryos of selected fowl raw from the egg, and used to bathe in the blood of pre-pubescent virgins to maintain "that youthful look."

As CJ suggested, it's all in the preparation. ;D ;)

:)

41 - 60 of 232 Posts