Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Pig hunting photos

57K views 269 replies 83 participants last post by  Dansken 
#1 ·
#2 ·
B-dog,

I haven't looked thru the pics yet but want to let you know we are glad to have ya here in this new forum. You should add value and most of the folks here would really like to have the opportunity to hunt hawgs.

The Kiwi's in Nam were tough enough!!! :wink:

Dave 8)

#3 ·
#10 ·
B-dog, I use the Hornady 240 gr. xtp hollow point and 23 gr. of hogdon h110, I have taken a good few Deer and Hogs with that load, within 100 yds it is devastating, I didn't notice any guns in your pics are ya'll stickin em some folks here won't shoot that close to their dogs and some will, really enjoyed the pics.
Fred.

#11 ·
Fred,when the dogs are holding I'll use a knife and if they're standing of bailing I'll shoot. You've got to be paitient when shooting around the dogs, the last thing you want to do is shoot one as a result of being to hasty. I carry a 45/70 (1895) or a 12 gauge (short barreled bolt action Marlin) and just lately I've been carrying a Rossi 357.

B-dog

#16 ·
Yes, he was in good shape. Big but kinda short :? Not too much fat on him, he was just short and "stubby".
Tusks were a bit small though, only 6 inches.

Next boar will be hit by Ranch-dogs 350grains boolit.....have been getting some really promising groups with those boolits, should work equally well on boars.

#20 ·
Yeah, my buddy put out the sent, I don't know what it was. This hawg came in sniffing
and looking for what he was smelling. His attention was diverted to say the least.
Danny, I shot that hog under the red led lights after dark; could see him fine, ofcourse it was
in a pasture.

VTDW can you tell what the sent was?

SS

G
#22 ·
SwampSniper said:
Yeah, my buddy put out the sent, I don't know what it was. This hawg came in sniffing
and looking for what he was smelling. His attention was diverted to say the least.
Danny, I shot that hog under the red led lights after dark; could see him fine, ofcourse it was
in a pasture.

VTDW can you tell what the sent was?

SS
His attention was diverted to say the least.
He sure was distracted! Snout in the air he walked right past the feeder and corn on the ground. The red LED lights made everything easy to see too, and then there was the satisfying "boom!" of the 45-70 going off, followed by a high five and big smiles! ;D

G
#24 ·
I don't remember the name of it, but after opening you hung the bottle in a tree and the hogs came for it more out of curiosity than a food source. You could also dribble it on a tree trunk too.

edit- I looked up Texasboars and they have changed the name of it to "Grim Reaper". It's an attractant and different from their hoginheat forumula. It contained anise oil and some other sweet smelling stuff.