Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
My cousin in law lives in Connecticut and lives near the shore. He won a 25-20 1894CL at a Ducks Unlimited about 27 years ago. It came with commemorative box of 50 rds. He takes a deer within an 1/8 of a mile from his home every year. One neck shot to each. Bang flop. It's all about shot placement.

Pigs shot in the ear drop real quick.

At this rate he will be almost 80 when he runs out of that commemorative box of ammo.

AC
Well of course he kills deer with one shot with the .25/20, DUH!!

I'm a big advocate of Speer 62gr Gold Dot for hogs and deer.
We've been using it for past 3 seasons in our AR pistol, carbine and rifles with good success.
It gives good performance on game and very accurate.
I would like to try the 75gr verson in future.

Helicopter hunters use the 223/556 all the time however if I'm on the ground and risk being charged I would want a bit more stopping power.
A guy I know that was charged by a wounded boar was shooting a 7mm Remington Mag...it was a bad shot.
In reality he wasn't charged..boar was just trying to get the hell out of the pasture when it was shot and run back to the woods and the guy who shot shot it just happened to be in the way. The boar ran about 6 feet left of the shooter's leg and kept running. In 25+ years of hunting hogs I've never seen a hog actually charge anyone but I have seen them run away towards a direction where someone was standing.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.