Marlin Firearms Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
My old hunting grounds (deer/elk) are partially eaten up by the forest wildfires destroying Lane County Oregon. Some of the side roads off of Oregon Hwy 126 to the East of Eugene, OR that follows the once scenic McKinsey River lead to several places I have hunted in the past. Look up the "Holiday Farm Wildfire, Oregon" on a Google search. It is still burning and uncontained as I write. It is approaching over 200,000 acres of timber burned. Here in Eugene we have been dealing with "Hazardous to Your Health" air quality since last Tuesday, with smoke, ash and soot layering on tops of cars, lawn shrubs, driveways, window sills; and if you left a window open you will have a dust mess on everything in the room. Hazardous to Your Health rating kicks in and around a score of 200 ---- we were exceeding 400 last Wednesday.

The loss of homes, livestock, and lives in addition to the devastation to our National Forests lands just a few miles East of us is heart breaking. And it is not over yet! Keep us in your prayers!

CJ

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Nice, thanks
Pray for some heavy Rain

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mine has changed quite a bit since our fires over last summer here in Australia, we were in the middle of a fire that burnt over 1 million acres and the majority of that in less than a day. Found a few deer dead but have been pleasantly surprised by how many actually survived. Moved a camera a few weeks ago and had 5 young stags past it in a week. Normally only get 3 or 4 different stags on camera a season. Bit harder to tell the girls apart but at least 2 with youngsters at foot and I shot the biggest stag I have ever seen a few months back.
Fire has actually made the hunting far easier, the deer are more concentrated in the areas with feed and visibility is dramatically increased.

These couple of pictures show the difference

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
Prayers sent for all those effected by the fires and a rain dance about to commence.

220, looks like a neat place. How's fishing in that crick?

·
Registered
281 Posts
220, looks like a neat place. How's fishing in that crick?

My parents place, only 150acres but almost a mile of creek frontage, brother has 200acres next door with a bit over a mile of creek that I look after for him. 2 species of deer, the odd hog and other ferals, trout and a little gold in the creek. Not much else you could hope for really.

Trout season opens in 2 weeks, plenty of pan sized browns and rainbows.
When they are really on the bite 10 fish per hour just walking the banks flicking spinners and small hardbody lures. When they dont want to co operate it can be a long time between fish.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts