Marlin Firearms Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Beautiful pictures. Being from the midwest, this one would give me pause. I'm fascinated by big bears, and wouldn't pass on the opportunity to hunt in their habitat, but my head would be on a swivel.

Keith

It gets your hair up and your mind thinking when you start seeing them for sure. The reminders help a lot for people who are either unaware or get complacent and that's when you get in trouble. As long as you know of their presence and you're in their area. People continue to get in trouble over the past few years when they leave their guns out of reach. Especially once you have game down and the bears smell it and have become accustomed to the gun shot or just the scent of a downed animal.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Just took a little walk, around some of my hunting area in the southern zone, most of which is wooded, now, it was all field's 50 years ago, found a few deer signs.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
I thought I'd add two more photos.
This is my most favourite hunting area.
(I do most of my hunting here.)
It is on the edge of the Kalahari desert in our Northern Cape Province, in the Direction of Botswana/Namibia.
When you are out there, loneliness is your hump, the sun and thirst can kill you , so can the ice cold, star filled nights. A hard land!
It is an unbelievable area with amazing scenery and wildlife, kudu, eland, zebra, oryx (plenty), springbok (plenty), hartebeest, steenbok, Cape cobra's :s:, huge vultures and many more.
The treasures that the stone age and iron age peoples left behind is always an exciting find.
The hunt here is an enourmous challenge , but O, so rewarding.
The very best.

I always head for this lonely Sheppard's tree (my personal oasis) for a rest and a midday snooze.
It must be close to a 1000 years old already.... maybe 800 or so.
We know each other very well.
It is a life saver, always.... and yes, I mostly use the 30-30 here.

0TL2so3.jpg 2cl2xZO.jpg

:elefant::biggrin::elefant: ..... anybody notice the eland in the first photo? ... there are a few!

·
Registered
419 Posts
This is a picture from my tree stand with my Marlin 1894 44 magnum. The stand sits just off the top off the ridge overlooking a bottom with a creek running through it. A nice deer trail runs past the stand and I can see the top of the ridge from the back of the stand. The ridge top is covered with honey suckle vines and hickory trees. It’s a beautiful view in every direction.

2AMZrfj.jpg

Jim

·
Registered
13,437 Posts
My wife’s stand is similar terrain and cover. Overlooking two little runs that form a creek. Got her deer every year. Me I don’t like to set. On days when there is a lot of water in runs the noise would drive me to drink. The water coming over dozens of little water falls gets on my nerves after awhile. It doesn’t bother the wife. I think the water noise masks the noise she makes with the wrappers on her various snack foods. I have accused her of picking out the snacks with the “loudest” wrappers.
I got to look and see if I got pic of hunting grounds, most pics of deer hanging in barn or garage. I like the thick stuff. My favorite patch I’ve killed deer that couldn’t fall down. They just had to stand there dead. The only way through is game paths.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
This is a picture from my tree stand with my Marlin 1894 44 magnum. The stand sits just off the top off the ridge overlooking a bottom with a creek running through it. A nice deer trail runs past the stand and I can see the top of the ridge from the back of the stand. The ridge top is covered with honey suckle vines and hickory trees. It’s a beautiful view in every direction.

View attachment 801501

Jim
Nice .44! how does it perform on deer?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Nice .44! how does it perform on deer?
last year was the first time I hunted with it and did not take a deer with it. It’s very accurate with Winchester white box ammo. So I am hoping to draw blood with it this year. I know it will do well because I’ve hunted with a T/C Contender in 44 magnum for over 20 years. The caliber is just a flat out killer on deer.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
View from the loft in our cabin. As we got older, we got wiser. When we made our cabin in a clearing between two cedar swamps, we put sliding windows front, back, and in the loft. Almost feel guilty waking up to the comfort of the wood stove, in a warm sleeping bag in my skivvies in the loft, sipping a hot cup of coffee, and hunting the clearing.:biggrin: But then again... nope.:laugh:

IMG_2548.JPG

·
Super Moderator
11,761 Posts
Wow some beautiful country for sure. The views in the northern FL area are not that spectacular due to the flat topography. I'm actually going to look at a couple of properties after work today. Hoping to buy my own little piece of heaven this year.

·
Registered
19,669 Posts
A few more shots of the huntin' area and one of the stands:
IMG_1355.JPG IMG_1373.JPG IMG_1362.JPG IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1381.JPG

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Just took my quad around the back side of my swamp, not as bad as I thought it would be, with blow down trees and tree limbs across my quad trail, opened up a couple deer crossing's .
20200904_145958.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Vooch

·
Registered
44 Posts
One of the properties I hunt for foxes, goats and the occasional pig (when it isn't drought stricken). Red sand with lots of stone and thick black cypress scrub.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts