Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,612 Posts
And Wyoming... I treat myself to a hunt in Wyoming, about every other year, for the past 20 years. I've hunted western Wyoming, in the mountains, for elk and mule deer and did well. The past 10 years or so though I've been concentrating on private land in northeast Wyoming, right along the Montana border. It's been great for antelope & mule deer:

Hunting elk in September, in the Wind River Mountains, up about 10,000 - 11,000' or so. Elk was already down, we were just seeing some country. Had a 44 mag on my belt, 'cause it's grizzly country:

More of western Wyoming, not far from Yellowstone:

Northeastern Wyoming, where I hunt these guys and mule deer:

Parts of it get pretty wide open, but I haven't had to make any real long range shots on antelope. Two at about 160 yards, two at about 250 yards:

Guy

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I already posted pics of where I deer and turkey hunt locally (also rabbit/squirrel). My out-of-state hunting trips are for birds. One pic is of a favorite pheasant field in Hand County SD, and the other was taken in (and is typical of) my grouse/woodcock cover in Dickinson County in MI’s UP. Something tells me you can determine which is MI and which is SD!
That's a great comparison, Judson , thanks

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I don’t have any real good pics. You can see just behind the bird how it falls off. Most of this area is like this.

Where the bird is sitting is flat, about 40 feet across and it runs down hill fit a few hundred yards. It’s very steep on the sides. If you’re in bad shape you can’t hunt it, there are no roads to the tops. The other bird is in a similar spot, it’s just higher up on the other side. A view from near the top during deer season also.
Beautiful woods, thanks

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Unless I missed a post, haven't seen any cactus ain't they
In the US, seen lots of videos of deer hunts in dusty open
Places with cactus. Must be we don't have members around there.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
And Wyoming... I treat myself to a hunt in Wyoming, about every other year, for the past 20 years. I've hunted western Wyoming, in the mountains, for elk and mule deer and did well. The past 10 years or so though I've been concentrating on private land in northeast Wyoming, right along the Montana border. It's been great for antelope & mule deer:

Hunting elk in September, in the Wind River Mountains, up about 10,000 - 11,000' or so. Elk was already down, we were just seeing some country. Had a 44 mag on my belt, 'cause it's grizzly country:

More of western Wyoming, not far from Yellowstone:

Northeastern Wyoming, where I hunt these guys and mule deer:

Parts of it get pretty wide open, but I haven't had to make any real long range shots on antelope. Two at about 160 yards, two at about 250 yards:

Guy
What's those funny looking deer taste like

·
Premium Member
11,612 Posts
What's those funny looking deer taste like
My family all love antelope meat! My wife isn't much of one for steaks 'n such, but the first time I cooked some antelope backstrap steak, she cleaned her plate and asked if I'd cooked more!

Then she said "you can hunt those anytime you want!"

The rest of us like it too. Some folks will tell you that antelope is awful. And I suppose it can be, I wasn't real thrilled the first time I tried some that a buddy was serving. But - all four of mine have tasted great. I wait until October to hunt them, so the weather is cooler. And I hunt on 40,000 acres of private land, no more than three hunters afield any given day, so they're not pressured. Maybe those things help?

Whatever the reason, I think antelope is terrific, right up there with elk for quality.

Guy

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
I hunt in a different part of the world. All across southern Africa.
My favourite areas are, the shores of the Zambezi river in Mozambique , the plains of the Orange Free State , the semi desert of the Kalahari in our Northern Cape Province and then the rolling grassy hills, dense ravines (Albany thickets) and bushveld shrub of KwaZulu Natal where I stay.
Usyy8U7.jpg QgEzSQL.jpg gSOgkFq.jpg vnFYvq4.jpg 0FhtGXD.jpg yuToeIp.jpg CIpjmH3.jpg NBsnTTM.jpg wtisMrr.jpg

:elefant::beer::elefant:

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Northwest Colorado where I grew up elk hunting and guiding. You can drive directly to the base of the jeep trail, it's then 5 miles up to the end of the road. As long as it's dry, the road isn't bad. As soon as any snow or rain comes, the mud gets deep and trail gets tire ruts very fast. Chains are requires if any chance of snow in the fall. Once at the end of the jeep road, all motorized traffic is done and it's only foot or animal traffic. We kept base camp at the end of the jeep trail, then had a few drop camps 2-5 miles back from base camp that we accessed by horses and pack trains. Great area for black bears, mule deer, elk and grouse; just need the means to access the animals with your own horses, rent them, or use a guide service.

Early fall August/September setting up base camp and the drop camps along with scouting:

Base camp: 8k feet
IMG_0991.JPG

Overlook near a drop camp: 10k ft
IMG_1011.JPG

Overlook
IMG_1012.JPG

Base camp: End of the Jeep road
IMG_1110.JPG

Peak: 11k ft
IMG_1100.JPG

Rifle Season October:

View attachment IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

Bringing the pack horses down:
IMG_1115.JPG

·
Registered
979 Posts
The new hunting grounds in Northwest Wyoming:

IMG_2595.JPG

Grizzly country
IMG_2592.JPG

Mule deer (whitetails just out of the image but in the same field)
IMG_2590.JPG

IMG_2600.JPG

Elk at the far side of the river and inside the trees:
IMG_2601.JPG

Supposed to be quail, chucker, and pheasants in this area
IMG_2682.JPG

Found the quail
IMG_2681.JPG

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
This has turned out better than I could imagine, thanks everyone. Were else can you go, and see the best hunting
areas in the county, with out popup commercials every 3 minutes

41 - 60 of 85 Posts