Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are pics of the 87 model 1895SS 45/70 that I have on hold for a couple days. Take a look and tell me what ya'll think the value of this gun is please. There are a couple of very small dings in the wood and the finish is not broken. The bluing is at least 95% and the bore looks like chrome with a scope light. Scope was removed and they put the scope mount screws in top of the reciever instead of original. Looking at the loading gate and bore on it I don't think it's been shot very much at all. Again what do ya'll think is a fair price for the gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Anywhere under 600 would be a smoking deal in my neck of the woods!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
From what I've seen in the central Virginia area, that rifle would be in the 600 to 700 range. Closer to 700 more than likely.

Regards

Team 35 #523
336 1969 35Rem
336 1979 35Rem
444 1974 444S
1895SBL 2014 45-70

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's worth exactly what you are willing to pay for it. That's how I look at firearms prices, and I find it kind of amusing to see post after post asking others to place a value on a potential purchase.
When I'm not sure about something I'm smart enough to ask those that have more experience then me to help evaluate things. Not just guns but other items also. You see I know that I don't know everything and value other peoples opinions.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
I haven't shopped around for recent pricing on 45-70's similar to the above, but if I was in the market for one I would do some hunting around online for a ballpark low/high figure. Then if I really liked the rifle, and within that ballpark, I'd buy it and not look back. Nobody wants to be ripped off, but I don't mind paying the upper edge of that ballpark for something "I really want"... maybe a touch more? For an example, I actually prefer those older rifles with the smooth walnut stocks, nice bluing, etc., over the newer models; and if as clean as the one looks above would let my heart guide my purchase. Especially if it something I planned to hold onto and not planning on selling later. To me, the rifle you have on hold would certainly catch my eye if looking for a 45-70, and be harder to pass up because of my personal preferences. Anyway, I just think sometimes we put too much emphasis on getting a "good deal" in buying and thus miss out on getting something that we "personally" would really appreciate and enjoy, vs. worrying over a few bucks and/or if we paid too much compared to what others have reportedly paid... if that makes any sense to anybody, LOL!
Well, blabbered enough... and not much help I'm sure, ha! Good luck to you.

·
Registered
594 Posts
AZsparrow; I agree with every thing you said, at least I think I do, or maybe I just read it wrong, or no I read it right.
ya I agree. LOL.

Team 45-70 #1214
cajunjohn

"This is America," "Everyone's got a bone to pick."

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With all the different models out there I felt that I might get some good opinions from those that have been doing this for a while. I'm not trying to get the gun on the cheap but like anyone else don't won't to find out later that I paid to much compared to others. When the guy said let me research and get back to you with a price I felt like doing the same.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Usefull is GunBroker, go to the Advanced tab and select guns sold, put the rifle model of interest in the search box... up comes all the final recent sale prices as well as the original auction page. Another Virginia here, this time in Northern Virginia... 6 to 7 hundred is the local market.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.