Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.35.JPG 2.35.JPG 3.35.JPG 4.35.JPG 5.35.JPG
As promised in the other thread about copper bore cleaner, here are my pictures of my .35. Marlinitis was kicking in. lol. It needs a little TLC but overall for a 1966 model 336 RC it's not too bad. It came with a 2-7 Redfield, still not sure if I will change that. There is a crack in the stock if it shows up in the last picture. I shot it six times yesterday, and the clamp for the swivel that is pictured moved forward about an inch while shooting. I removed it this morning, and inspected, then put it back and tightened it up really good. I hope that won't be a problem again. Any suggestions on that will be welcome. I'm still on the fence about rebluing it also. Opinions? Thanks

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I like a rifle with character like the one you have there. If you are going to use it to hunt and take it with you when you hit the woods I would clean the rust off with a little oil/000 steel wool, two coats of Johnsons Paste Wax and just enjoy the rifle. If it is going to be a trophy to hang on the wall or a safe queen, re-blue it. Me, I like the way it looks. Congratulations on a great rifle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice RC!
I'm not a big fan of re bluing older guns,the way I look at it they earned that worn look,that tiny crack doesn't look like something to worry about.
I wouldn't change that old Redfield,they are a fine scope.
I have a question on the Redfield. It doesn't click at all when making adjustments like newer scopes do. Is that normal? It will just turn, not click, and I wasn't sure if was locking in the position I was trying to get it to hold on. When shooting yesterday, it seemed to move too far when I was making adjustments, but then I noticed the swivel stud in the picture above moved on me and I thought it was putting pressure on the barrel in different locations and would change my point of impact also. I need to shoot it again now after tightening that stud.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
That is a very nice rifle and one that was obviously thought enough of to be taken to the woods and used. The paste wax idea is good, also if you have a wood workers store or a boat supply near, get a can of Boeshield T-9 and use it on the outside . Let it dry and it will leave a wax coating to protect from moisture. The product was developed to protect aircraft parts from corrosion. Good shooting

·
Banned
651 Posts
Beautiful rifle!! I love the dark rich color of the wood. A seasoned look. Congrats and enjoy.

Reactions: BruceS

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
yes that is normal for the redfield not to click. i had and have a few old ones, and they are great scopes.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and BruceS

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Bruce, that is a beautiful Marlin. I think I'm with the others who say don't do anything to it. That Redfield looks good on it. If it works for you, no need to change that.

I'm a satisfied Ballistol customer. If you want something to keep your wood and metal looking beautiful, get a can and wipe them down with it before putting them away. It's an excellent cleaning and lubing product, too.

Meanwhile, enjoy that 35! :)

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
Nice lookin’ rifle

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Looks good to me just as it is. I really like the dark wood. Congrats on a nice older Marlin in a very fine caliber.:congrats:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good looking rifle. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
nice 336rc! i recently aquired a 1964 30-30 (z serial) 336rc at the tyler tx gun show. i traded a rem 742 +50.00 for it. then yesterday i traded a savage left hand bolt 22 mag for a 1950 35rem (G serial) 336sc! both are 90%+ ALL PARTIES WERE HAPPY AFTER TRADING! YES, I DO FEEL LUCKY!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
Guy's, i'm looking at buying a marlin 375win at a local gun shop. it's 95%+. the loading gate is not as blue as the rest of the rifle. thats all i see why i wouldnt give it 99% what value would you put one of those at?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I have a question on the Redfield. It doesn't click at all when making adjustments like newer scopes do. Is that normal? It will just turn, not click, and I wasn't sure if was locking in the position I was trying to get it to hold on. When shooting yesterday, it seemed to move too far when I was making adjustments, but then I noticed the swivel stud in the picture above moved on me and I thought it was putting pressure on the barrel in different locations and would change my point of impact also. I need to shoot it again now after tightening that stud.
Again I'm not a fan of the magazine swivel studs,when ever I found a Marlin 336 and bought it I took them off and went with the barrel band with the swivel stud on it,they are very easy to install and look ten times better but that's just my opinion.

Here is the barrel band swivel set up:
Marlin Rear Band Marlin 336 30-30 Winchester 35 Remington 1894C

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Guy's, i'm looking at buying a marlin 375win at a local gun shop. it's 95%+. the loading gate is not as blue as the rest of the rifle. thats all i see why i wouldnt give it 99% what value would you put one of those at?
Don't know what it's worth,I guess it all depends how bad you want it,I do know the ammo is very hard to get and will be over $50.00 a box

1 - 20 of 33 Posts