Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to install replacement factory iron sights on my Marlin 336W, but am having trouble fitting it. Not sure if I need to do some more filing or just need to keep tapping it and force it in there. Any gunsmiths out there have any advice on how to make it fit in flat and not crooked? Which side of the sight should I file? The bottom part of the triangle, or the right side in which it's having trouble fitting in?

IMG_4637.JPG

·
Registered
20,272 Posts
whoh! that looks terrible. i would say that either the barrel has a bad dovetail cut or the sight is not correct. most are 3/8'' dovetails & dont require much, if any fitting. wished i could help more.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You have to make the sight fit the dovetail, if you ruin the sigt is less dramatic as when you ruin the barrel. It;s all a matter of patiently filing till it fits. It could be that the dove tail is only fitting from one side, so the two sides are not paralell , sometimes this was done to make the fit more tight.
Just take your time, and don't force too much. Good luck

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Can't tell from pics if the angles are right. They should be and sanding the bottom of the sight until it fits should work. Have sandpaper on a flat surface and rub the sight dovetail on it.

·
Wrangler
395 Posts
From the butt, do your fitting to drift it in from right to left, the upward spring tension can be a little difficult but don't take it out of the sight or the elevaor won't stay put. Patience, it will reward you in this endevour.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I have a small triangular file I use to slowly and carefully file down one side of the dovetail. Take your time.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have a small triangular file I use to slowly and carefully file down one side of the dovetail. Take your time.
I do it the same way, tap it in from right to left, and i also use a small triangular file. i fit (file) on the front bevel of the sight insert(not file a little on the front bevel then the rear bevel then the bottom) and do very little filing and a whole lot of fitting.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Can't tell from pics if the angles are right. They should be and sanding the bottom of the sight until it fits should work. Have sandpaper on a flat surface and rub the sight dovetail on it.
This is how I've found works best. Left to right drift is not likely to matter but many people swear it still holds true and it doesn't hurt to practice it.

From what I can see, there doesn't appear to be much of an angle on the rear of the sight's dovetail. That may need some attention. The sight should fit in flat and snug to about half way and then get tapped in.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Did you file on the Barrel Dovetail? If not, then that word to the left of U.S.A. may be part of the problem.

·
Registered
140 Posts
According to the pic, your problem is the spring curve of the sight body, it has the dovetail tipped toward the muzzle as it should from the spring pressure. I've installed tons of 'em, push down on the dovetail part till it lines up and tap it in to place at the same time. As was pointed out, if you straighten the sight body out you won't have any pressure to keep the elevator in place. GW

·
Wrangler
395 Posts
From a second look, after considering the angles on the sight, it appears the rear dovetail is at an incorrect angle and probably been filed beyond fixing. It will never be right if the bottom flats are not mated, if the sight won't snug up with the flats mated, the dovetail on the sight is to small. as it sets right now, it looks like a Bubba butcher job. Unless of course there is something the picture isn't showing, like two or three separate angles of view, it has gone beyond fixing, and another sight is in order.

If what I see, from one picture, and a poorly worded description, doesn't match the facts, explain "having trouble fitting it." better, and add some pictures that we can use to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update. I ended up getting a new sight as I had filed off too much slope on the original sight. This time what really helped me was to hammer down flat the edge of the sight once I started putting it into the barrel first before hammering it all the way in with a brass punch. I'm guessing I might of ruined the barrel dovetail cut trying to make the old one fit and I didn't want to file the barrel dovetail cut itself. This way I was able to get it nice and straight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts