Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jus got done with our first trout fishing trip. Had a good time. Did alot of hiking haha. It was tons different than the lake fishing I am used too.

Right as we got in the park I found this random guy in the middle of the walk way lol.

Also found this weird guy down by the river.

I fished a little in this small pool. It was quite the challenge with a 9ft rod. I wish I had my shorter setup done.

Caught my first trout ever there. Tiny little guy. Didn't even realize I got him. Could barely feel the rod wiggle lol. Caught one other little trout. Maybe an inch bigger than the first but that was it. Trout fishing is quite different and we really didn't know what we were doing haha.

Also saw some falls. Pretty nice. The pictures don't do it justice.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it was pretty good. We are tired from hiking up the mountain. Then back to work tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
here's some of my saltwater fish that me & my step brother caught recently. i also attended the Def Leopard/ KISS concert in houston last night. both of the bands support our military! i bet you didnt know that!
Trout fish'n and hard rock!!! Love it! :tee:

·
Super Moderator
13,472 Posts
here's some of my saltwater fish that me & my step brother caught recently. i also attended the Def Leopard/ KISS concert in houston last night. both of the bands support our military! i bet you didnt know that! View attachment 117183 View attachment 117184 View attachment 117185 View attachment 117186 View attachment 117187
I hope it's just perspective and those trout are around 20" because those red's don't look like they're slot reds. Slot limit in Texas is 20-28".

Please forgive me if I'm wrong and they are 20+" reds... just making an observation.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
A trout is a trout! Ya gotta start somewhere. Those mountain streams are fantastic. You need to put the good sneak on the plunge pools. If the fish see you or your shadow, you're done. Dipping the fly or short casts from cover work best with very small flies. You'd be surprised what lurks in those pools.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was probably most of our problem. We weren't being quite as stealthy as we should have. A few instances we had a few nibbles but they all stopped suddenly. I'm guessing because we got spotted. Oh well, still had a good time.

Reactions: AlaskaDawg

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
A good day is fishing. Looks like a great one for the experience.

·
Registered
205 Posts
ponycarmen,

Trout don't live in ugly places. Always take time to smell the flowers and enjoy. Glad you had a good time. I have had numerous days where I didn't catch a fish, but enjoyed being out and enjoying the outdoors.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats something that I have had to learn quite well since I started fly fishing. Not always catching stuff but there is always neat stuff to see out in the woods around the water. That is the reason for some of the non fishy critters in my pics haha.

·
Registered
20,272 Posts
guys, those trout are speckled sea trout i caught in chocolate bay near galveston/freeport tx. not freshwater. one of the best tasting saltwater fish! pound for pound those redfish are some of the best fighting fish. we dont have to be real sneaky. we drift fish over oyster reefs & catch a couple, then go back & do it again & again. that was the keepers in 2 hrs of fishing. if it didnt rain, it would have been limits easily! photo (71).JPG this is my best speckled trout. last year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts