Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I bought a new Marlin 336SS a couple of days ago and its about to arrive at my FFL and I was wondering what I should really check on it. This will be my first Marlin so I'm not 100% sure what to check besides how the action feels and other basic things. Any detailed tips you guys can give me would be great. I really excited to get it and I just want to make sure everything on it checks out. Thanks!

Steven ;D

·
Registered
821 Posts
Make sure your sights aren't canted, barrel droop, wood to metal fit( personal pref). Boogered up screw heads, centered sling swivel stud. Those are good starters

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
mebe007 said:
Make sure your sights aren't canted, barrel droop, wood to metal fit( personal pref). Boogered up screw heads, centered sling swivel stud. Those are good starters

Yup...cycle the action too. If your gun pusher will let you cycle ammo through it ( mine does ) ;D that would be great! Most likely the serial# prefix will be MR thats a remington built Marlin even though it may say North Haven, Conn on the barrel. If the front sight is canted to the right it has problems! The barrel is not indexed properly. If there is no MR prefix on the serial # then run with it like you stole it! ;D

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Welcome to MO!! Enjoy your new Marlin and remember you have already contracted Marlinitis. Take care, John.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what people are saying, I'm concerned that about the "MR" series of these rifles. More than likely it seems that this is what I will be getting. I pick it up today so I'll check, but I really hope I don't have any issues. If I do, I hope that I can at least spot them. I am really looking forward to getting it but now I'm more worried about it's quality issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I picked up the gun today and it seems to have issues. It is a "MR" series and here are my issues with it:

1) The butt stock is loose even though the bolt is tight
2) The rear sight seems to be off a little left although the barrel seems to be fine, like it was just put on wrong.

The guy I bought it from online says I can return it for another one and he will pay for the shipping, or that he will credit me $40 for me to ship it to Marlin to get it fixed which is about the price of shipping plus a little. I still want the same model gun 336SS, but I'm not sure what to do. I figure even if I get another one from him, it still might have issues. How long is the turn around time at Marlin? What should I do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick Update:

I called a repair center and described my issue and they said it would be about 7-10 days to fix (obviously an estimate just based on what I said) and that most likely that Marlin would take care of the shipping for me. So basically I would just wait 2 weeks and then I'd get $40 off, assuming they fix it properly.

Still disappointed though. The gf and I were gonna go to the range tomorrow and test it out. :mad:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
sent it directly to malin in ilion ny. When you look down the receiver at the sights the rear site will be off center either left or right. Not just offset in the dovetail but kinda like twisted to the left or right on a slight angle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally got my gun back this week. I sent it into repair at J&G Gunsmithing (one of the licensed places) and they got it back to me in about 2-3 weeks including shipping/non-working days. They fixed the butt stock, redid the rear sight, and fixed the lever from being so tight initially (you had to really tug to get it out). Everything looks amazing on it now and it was worth the wait. Still don't understand how a gun like that leaves the factory but oh well, its fixed. Now just to actually shoot the thing.

;D

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
That's a nice looking gun. I especially like the butt stock. Could we get a close-up photo of it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Butt/stock. It was loose and wouldn't tighten. However, if you want a picture of the now tightened butt/stock, I think we can work something out.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
If it were my gun I would be curious to see how he tightened the butt stock. I would remove it, and check it out.

I have a 1952, 336 with a butt stock so tight, I have a hard time installing the tang screw.

If your gun shoots half as good as it looks, you have a winner.

Now all we need is a range report. ;D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts