Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my second Marlin (1st one is my XS7 7-08). The new one is a XT-22 blued with wood stock. Looks real nice, but will likley be awhile before I can get out with it. Any suggestions on things to do before hand, things to look out for, must have upgrades, break in procedure etc...

One thing I notice is the rear sight looks like it has been bent over to the the right side just a bit. Probably would like to put some better sights on it anyway. I would like to keep iron sights on this one for now. Any suggestions, maybe a fiber optic?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've owned a Marlin XT 22 since last March. I've shot the thing thousands of times this year. I use it for training, target shooting and hunting. The factory sights are rubbish. I mounted a BSA sweet 22 3-9x40 scope on it. Now it shoots 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. But, mostly shoot it at 50 yards.

I also use a Beartooth comb raiser.

My Mossberg 340 BD has a 24 inch barrel and rear aperture sight mounted back in the receiver. The gun can be shot at least as accurately that the Marlin with a scope. Practicing iron sights makes all my shooting better. I wonder if there's a rear aperture sight for the XT 22.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've owned a Marlin XT 22 since last March. I've shot the thing thousands of times this year. I use it for training, target shooting and hunting. The factory sights are rubbish. I mounted a BSA sweet 22 3-9x40 scope on it. Now it shoots 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. But, mostly shoot it at 50 yards.

I also use a Beartooth comb raiser.

My Mossberg 340 BD has a 24 inch barrel and rear aperture sight mounted back in the receiver. The gun can be shot at least as accurately that the Marlin with a scope. Practicing iron sights makes all my shooting better. I wonder if there's a rear aperture sight for the XT 22.
Thanks for replying, looks like it is going to be a fun gun for sure. Do recommend any break in technique/procedure for the 22?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thanks for replying, looks like it is going to be a fun gun for sure. Do recommend any break in technique/procedure for the 22?
I didn't go through any formal break-in. However, mine is a little finicky with HV bulk ammo. Winchester bulk was particularly bad. CCI mini-mags and SV are all I use when I'm shooting for accuracy. For shooting practice and informal plinking, Remington a Golden Bullets are the best of the bulk ammo.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Depends on how far you want to go. I did a trigger job, bolt polishing-striker inside plus the outside(not recommended, a bear to get back together), re-crown, glass bedded it into a Boyd's Rimfire Hunter stock, and topped it with a BSA Contender 4-16 scope.
It'll put 10 rounds of CCI SV under a dime all day long at 50 yards off bags-pretty good for a light barreled sporter.
As far as break in, shoot it a while then clean the bore. After that just dry patches, the oiled, then dry. The Micro-Groove barrels don't need much unless they lead fowl, which they usually don't.

Best of luck with your project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts