Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local gun store picked up a sizable collection from an estate, and it contained quite a few Marlins, including the .357 1894CS I bought. While looking it over, it was obvious it had not seen much action. The wood and metal were in very good shape. However, the shell lifter/carrier was not raising the shells up. I went ahead and made a commitment to buy it because the gunshop has their own gunsmiths on hand, and one of them is a personal friend, so I knew they would make it right. I have been waiting 3 weeks at this point, and am getting a tad antsy to have some fun. I do have a Rossi 1892 in 357 to keep me content till the new one is finished.

The serial number on this CS dates it to 1989, and it has the smooth uncheckered wood I prefer. it has a weaver base already mounted, and I intend to put a small red dot on it, to help the old eyes. I paid 400$ for it, and the store is including for no charge, a lifetime warranty that includes, parts/labor and shipping to the manufacturer if needed. They usually charge 10 percent of the purchase price for this warranty. The same owner has had this store for close to 40 years, and his son has taken a very active role in the store, so I think they will be around for quite awhile to stand behind their warranty, so I think I did ok.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice gun and excellent buy. I too prefer the non checkered wood on my lever guns. Have you considered a Skinner peep sight, that fits the classic lines of this rifle?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I think you did just fine on that deal. With what most 1894 .357's go for these days, $400 isn't bad at all! :)

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
First off, Welcome to MarlinOwners! Always nice to hear some new voices around here. :)

Oh, and Nice Pickup! That one looks a great deal like my first 1894, and like you. I prefer smooth wood. Both my pistol-caliber Marlins have had t
their forends smoothed and slimmed, they feel like Winchesters but they shoot and behave like Marlins.........the best of both worlds!

Have you decided what Red Dot you want to put on it? I've never found one I liked, but I'm still looking. All my rifles wear glass these days, I can't see peeps well enough to use them well, and if I can't shoot a gun accurately, I don't have much use for it.

I predict a long and happy relationship for you two once your new friend is released to your custody. 8)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
papajohn said:
Have you decided what Red Dot you want to put on it? I've never found one I liked, but I'm still looking. All my rifles wear glass these days, I can't see peeps well enough to use them well, and if I can't shoot a gun accurately, I don't have much use for it.
I have a Gen 7 Primary Arms 3 MOA Micro Dot that used to reside on an AK47. I have found them to be reliable, yet inexpensive, and give good accuracy out to 150 yards or so. I had it mounted on my Rossi M92 for a time, but it mounted a tad too far forward on the Barrel for my taste. I cannot wait to get that Marlin in hand and mount that little Red Dot. It will allow me to shoot pretty quick, I think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well....after doing some research, I have found that the carrier assemblies are backordered till the end of October. I talked with the owner of the gunshop I bought this from, and tomorrow, I will be going in to get something else in exchange for this rifle. I am a little gun shy about adding one of these to my collection at this point. Too bad that Marlin had to get absorbed by Remington. I really dont think I want a gun with a history of problems with the Carrier assemblies and a shortage of parts that are to be manufactured by a company that doesnt seem to have it together right now......Maybe later.

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
I can't say as I blame you, but there are a ton of good guns on the used market. You can't personally inspect them, but most sellers are pretty up-front about the condition of their guns. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
papajohn said:
I can't say as I blame you, but there are a ton of good guns on the used market. You can't personally inspect them, but most sellers are pretty up-front about the condition of their guns. Might be worth a look.
Maybe I will run across another Marlin later. I might even find a nice Pre safety model at some point.

I have a brace of Rossi's that I have worked on and slicked up, and they are dead reliable with 38's or .357's, so the Marlin was more of a want than a need. I am probably gonna snag a new unused .357 New Vaquaro Montado in the morning to go with my Rossi's for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts