Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
Dang, that's nice! But I think that Vaquero is freakin' beautiful!

Never had a .45acp wheelgun. Just what I need, another entry on my want list.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The shot shells made from cut off brass rifle cases work best with moon clips to keep the headspace. I had a machinist friend make me a roll crimp die that works with anything from a .32 long to a .45. I find that gas-checks make good over powder and over shot wads. I use a .44 sizer for the front of the case. There is a long thread about this on the cast bullet site.

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
I had a Colt NS in 45colt with a 8" barrel and beat condition. With it I got a cigar box with 21/2" 410 shells that had been cut off to fit cylinder and sealed with candle wax. Someone also had attempted to polish the rifling out of barrel. I shot a couple of those 410s out of it and they didn't have much pizazz. I don't know if they had drawn damp or weren't much good from the get go. Still have some of those 410 cut offs and they didn't do any better in a single shot 410.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I need to take my S&W JM 625-8 .45 ACP to the range.
26219407_1568203239925079_326065878099019001_n (1).jpg

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Problem with 1917 is price. For a nice one you will pay the price of a m25 which has a lot more use as a shooter. Nice 1917s are going high $1K not uncommon for a high condition gun. Colts are about the same. There has to be tons of 1917s in the wood work. In the 60s everybody and their brother had two of them. I think they were going for $12.50 from DCM. Cheap ammo dried up in a few years and the 1917s seemed to disappear, they got to be some where. The trick is to kick them out before they get to dealers & shows.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Problem with 1917 is price. For a nice one you will pay the price of a m25 which has a lot more use as a shooter. Nice 1917s are going high $1K not uncommon for a high condition gun. Colts are about the same. There has to be tons of 1917s in the wood work. In the 60s everybody and their brother had two of them. I think they were going for $12.50 from DCM. Cheap ammo dried up in a few years and the 1917s seemed to disappear, they got to be some where. The trick is to kick them out before they get to dealers & shows.
Yeah I know buddy, I want one, just not to pay for one ;)

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
I have a 3" S&W 625 "Model of 1989." Very robust pistol and probably one of the better big bore combat handguns. I load with .45 Auto Rim so as not bother with half moon clips.
Exactly what I have. They are great shooters. Been meaning to try to get some AR brass to try in mine, so far just using the full moons. If I ever find the right holster for it, I want to try carrying it a few days. (in the winter when I can wear more clothes and I just sit at my desk)

Congratulations!

·
Banned
1,982 Posts
Mine's a Model 1917, issued to my grandfather when he served in the Army Medical Corps in WW1 and purchased by him from the armory at Camp Dodge, Iowa, when he mustered out in 1920.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's mine, purchased in the late 1990's, back when I was into modifying everything ;) This is a 3" 625. I was planning to make this a fun, customized carry gun. I had my local gunsmith pro do the following: duty tune, convert to double action only, bob hammer, radius and polish trigger face, chamfer cylinder holes. I had a set of custom Craig Spegel "boot grips" made up in coco bolo. I also had a Milt Sparks inside the waist band "Summer Special" made up...they did a double take on that phone order "uh inside the waist band holster for a N frame? Yes, please. Uh, okay then..." ;) Only carried it a few times, it is rather big and fat for IWB carry. Still a fun gun to shoot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Good looking gun there Spider. I prefer unaltered guns, but that's nicely done. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sorry if this ends up a double post, tried to respond thru an email notice first.
Here is my S&W 1950, Turnbull case hardened and an older set of Herrett walnut grips. Came with small factory grips with Tyler grip adapters. I picked this up a couple years ago at my favorite used Marlins LGS. Haven't seen any others on line to get a feel for current prices.
image.jpeg

·
Premium Member
11,547 Posts
Mine's a Model 1917, issued to my grandfather when he served in the Army Medical Corps in WW1 and purchased by him from the armory at Camp Dodge, Iowa, when he mustered out in 1920.
That's pretty doggone cool.

Guy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice 625-2 Shark Bait. Hope you got a good deal. I have a Blackhawk Convertible 5.5" bbl .45 Auto / .45 Colt. I always wished the Colt cylinder was unfluted like the N.M. Single-Six Convertible .22 WMR cylinder is. Makes for quick ID in the dark. More beef too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, a 1917 Colt that my wife inherited from her father ("Now remember, it's HERS, not yours!"). He carried in Liege, Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge and because of his work with the Belgium underground they had it engraved for him by a Master Engraver from Fabrique National. They let him keep the FN 10/22 they gave him to "use" while the big gun was being engraved. The Colt has mother-of-pearl grips, "And I don't give a [expletive deleted] what Patton said about pearl grips!"). It shoot as well as the day it was made in June, 1918 with both .45 ACP Rimmed and ACP in moon clips. Point of note: He used both a fancied up M1911A1 and this revolver when he shot on the Army's DC Pistol Team.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Yes, a 1917 Colt that my wife inherited from her father ("Now remember, it's HERS, not yours!"). He carried in Liege, Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge and because of his work with the Belgium underground they had it engraved for him by a Master Engraver from Fabrique National. They let him keep the FN 10/22 they gave him to "use" while the big gun was being engraved. The Colt has mother-of-pearl grips, "And I don't give a [expletive deleted] what Patton said about pearl grips!"). It shoot as well as the day it was made in June, 1918 with both .45 ACP Rimmed and ACP in moon clips. Point of note: He used both a fancied up M1911A1 and this revolver when he shot on the Army's DC Pistol Team.
A post such as yours demands pictures MDoellman. Great story by the way. Let's see it. :)

41 - 60 of 72 Posts