Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I traded into this S&W 625-2 today. Swapped out the grips for some custom Culinas i had on hand. Should be a fantastic shooter. Anybody else have a .45 ACP wheel gun?

0707-2019-0914204250633969573294.jpeg

0707-2019-0948593250548357728431.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
I had a 1917 S&W that shot fantastic! and with my excellent judgement and super mental capacity and great wisdom that I possess,,,i traded it off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:bawling:

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 3" S&W 625 "Model of 1989." Very robust pistol and probably one of the better big bore combat handguns. I load with .45 Auto Rim so as not bother with half moon clips.
Pics requested, Ray.... Full moon clips work best. Quick reloads.

·
Super Moderator
11,669 Posts
Nice gun, man. I have owned a half dozen or so 45 ACP revolvers but the only one I still have is a Redhawk that also shoots 45 colt.

·
Premium Member
11,521 Posts
I did have a Model of 1989. Good gun, but I liked my 44 cal 629 better and had a chance to make an excellent profit by selling the 45 ACP 1989, so off it went. Good gun.

Yours looks great! :) Enjoy.

Here's a photo of my old one. Kinda fuzzy photo, sorry 'bout that:

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
625/m 25........

Hey Shark,

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

(yes, I have a couple....):eek:

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
I only have one presently a 25-2, my keeper. I hate moons and load all 45ar. I had a lot of Colt and S&W 1917s when I was a kid and shot nothing in them but GI 45acp, wasn't impressed until I got a 25-2 years later. image.jpeg

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
That is one beautiful pistol and I know you're going to love it.

I've owned a Colt M1917, a S&W 1950, and a S&W 1955. They are wonderful guns and highly under-rated. Years ago I used one of the Smiths to take third place in a statewide police combat pistol competition. It had a course of fire that required running to and fro around obstacles and into various types of cover to engage a variety of "bad guys". The score was based on a formula that factored in both accuracy and total time. I don't remember how many rounds it took but it required lots of reloading, at least for me. I was the only one using a revolver. All the other competitors were using high capacity autos. So, considering all the reloading my Smith required, I was very proud to earn third place. And boy, you should have seen the faces of all the wonder-nine shooters I bested. That was a reward in itself.

I no longer have those guns. I've been into autos for years now. If I were to find a nice stainless N-frame in 10mm that takes moon clips I might be temped buy it. But I don't know if Smith even makes one.

FWIW, I used belt mounted cartridge carriers made for .357 Mag ammo in speed loaders. They worked out perfectly for holding a stack of two moon clips of .45 acp. You stack two clips in, nose down, and you can pull them out very easily with a forefinger in the clip center hole. When I carried concealed I carried eighteen rounds - one clip of 6 in the pistol and two clips of 6 on my belt. For practice and competition I used two, three, or four of the those carriers on my belt to give me a total of 30, 42, or 54 rounds depending on the practice session or course of fire.

·
Premium Member
11,521 Posts
Grenadier - OUTSTANDING!

Have a fellow here who uses one of the newer 45 ACP S&W revolvers in Speed Steel shoots - and he does reasonably well. He's a good guy who's paid his dues to the country many times over. It's nice seeing him enjoying the big S&W revolver so much.

Guy

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I were to find a nice stainless N-frame in 10mm that takes moon clips I might be temped buy it. But I don't know if Smith even makes one.
That would be a model 610. I hear they are making them again. This gun may get me looking at them too.

Your avatar suggests that you would understand "De Opresso Liber". Me too, 7th, 12th, & 19th.

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
I just sold a Colt GI 45acp that had a decent job of a ramp front and adjustable rear that had been dove tailed into top strap. I couldn't get it to shoot. I think it are to many hard balls in last 100yrs.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts