Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to the sport and have a lot to learn but I have spent some time on this forum and have learned a lot. Most importantly, I knew I wanted a lever and that I should try to avoid a Remlin. Was thinking about risking it and picking up a new 336w. That all changed this morning.

Went to my LGS to pick up some 22lr ammo and saw a beautiful lever on the rack. It turns out to be a Marlin/Glenfield 30AS. Wood was very nice and clean. No noticeable dings - a few minor scratches. Checked out the rifling and it looked great. Worked out a price of $350 and I ended up putting it on layaway with $50 down. I can not wait to pick it up and get it out into the woods behind my house.

Serial #1102****

Here are some pic's. Any feedback would be appreciated. Any idea on the year?

IMG_3033.jpg IMG_3029.jpg

·
Super Moderator
25,163 Posts
That is a Marlin Model 30AS made in 1989. My first Marlin was a 1989 Model 30AS 30-30. Great rifle--I gave it to my son who uses it in his deer hunting pursuits. You can't go wrong with that end caped Model 30.

Reactions: Click Click Boom

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Congrats! She should serve you well...

·
Premium Member
15,447 Posts
Congrats,
that’s a fine lookin’ rifle

·
Registered
179 Posts
I like mine. I put a red dot on it. Thinking about new wood for mine and maybe a barrel bob.
Good find

·
Registered
27 Posts
CONGRATZ! It looks like mine that I just picked up and I traded a value of $450 willingly for it so you are doing really well for $350 in my eyes!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info and comments. I cant wait to get it! Will post more pics when I pick her up.

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
You will Love it! Mine is a 1983 and it's a shooter! Loves the 170 grain the best. YMMV

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Congrats!! Nice looking 30AS!!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Congrats!! Now go have fun with it!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
FWIW...I picked up a 30AS five years ago initially thinking if would become a back-up camp gun. A couple of years down the road it has become a primary option for northern Wisconsin whitetail out of a tree stand. I can pull 2-inch groups at 50 yards with the factory irons with 150 grain handloads. I hope it works for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone. I am picking her up this weekend so I will get you some betterquality pics and will need some advice on sights.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts