Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has QC really gotten that bad(Marlin1895SBL issues)

So I am having issues with a new purchase.

I picked up a brand new Marlin 1895 SBL and all in all I am happy except for one thing. When you load a single round into the tube and try to chamber it the bullet will get locked up for a second but then it will slide into place. What it weird is I've loaded 4 rounds in the tube and they all cycle fine multiple times but when you put a single round in it will jam up.

Is it possible the most likely culprit is the extractor needs to be bent out some?

This gentleman's video shows what I am dealing with.

(UPDATE)
Update
So as you guys know I picked up one of the guns on my short list a few days ago a Marlin 1895SBL. Now I will say its a beautiful gun but beauty doesn't mean squat when its not working 100% out of the gate.

The first issue was it was hanging up when chambering a round. Well that is usually fixed by bending out the extractor some. I did it once myself which helped but it still wasn't solid. So I took it to a local smith who bent out the extractor more and it started feeding Federal 300 grain Powershok ammo fine. The strange thing was it was still getting bound up issues on Hornady Lever Evolution ammo. Took it back to the smith and we agreed to let him take it for a few hours and work on it. He did notice the loading issue still and also noticed there were some brass flakes (From the ammo)

When I got it back the gun was working 100% Finally! He cleaned up a couple of burrs inside, polished the ramp and even lightened up the trigger a hair. That cost me a box of 30 carbine and 2 surplus carbine mags I didn't need. The peace of mind of having it fixed locally vs sending it off was important to me.

where the rant comes in is the fact this gun is over a grand new. The thing shouldn't require any kind of tweaking to run reliably. And when I called Marlin this was the response I got.

We recommend a break in of 50 to 100 rounds and honestly each gun is a little different. You can have two of the same gun on the same line. One will feed anything and the one right after that may be finicky .

....Uh............

Has QC really gone to pot with a lot of the gun companies or is it here and there?

·
Super Moderator
15,200 Posts
My 336W did something similar but did it with every round... No matter how many were loaded in the tube... And it was the extractor... Maybe yours has a sticky magazine tube follower? Kinda strange it doesn't do it on the last round if you load two or more...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 336W did something similar but did it with every round... No matter how many were loaded in the tube... And it was the extractor... Maybe yours has a sticky magazine tube follower? Kinda strange it doesn't do it on the last round if you load two or more...

That's what I thought it was strange it would only do it on single rounds.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Cycle the action like a man and not a 3yr old girl and it might work!
Yanking and forcing a lever action mechanism to force it to work is foolishness and prone to break something. The gun should feed, fire, extract and eject whether the action is operated fast or slow as long as the lever and related parts reach their operational design movement limits.

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
New guns, like any man made product not functioning out of the box is to be occasionaly encountered. It does seems that Remlin is making more than their fair share of bad product. As a result they're catching the brunt of the complaints.

Me personally, I'll NEVER buy one until they firmly establish a proven track record.

AC

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cycle it like normal instead of slowing watching the loaded round going about and it more than likely it would work as designed. Tipping it to the side and cycling it to see it catch on the rim or end of the bullet and act all surprised when it catches on a corner, OMG!. Cycle an AR slow with the charging handle while peaking and get back to me with what you see, then fire it normal. Some kids shouldn't have guns to play with, they are made to shoot not watch in slow motion.
Yanking and forcing a lever action mechanism to force it to work is foolishness and prone to break something. The gun should feed, fire, extract and eject whether the action is operated fast or slow as long as the lever and related parts reach their operational design movement limits.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You mentioned it was doing this with the LevEverlution stuff. I had that issue with my Pre Remington Marlin Guide Gun, with the first (or last depending on your perspective) round. I stopped trying to used the gummy tips after that in that gun.

But, I still think the quality of the Remington Marlins is horrible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts