Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at an firearms and related estate sale today and while I didn't purchase any of the firearms I did pick up a couple of knives. While everything else seemed to go higher than I wanted no-one was really bidding on the knives at all. To be honest it probably would have been worth it to buy almost every knife there and re-sell.

Anyway, I got these two as a pair for $5.

The first is an Edge-Brand, Solingen Germany No. 54, If held just right with the light, I can see that it has Original Bowie Knife "etched?" just below the spine on the right hand side.

The second is a Mexican "Bowie" knife with Brass Eagles head that I don't really know anything about but find kind of interesting.

In addition to those two I also acquired and old Schrade-Walden 148 knife a few weeks ago at a sale in the bottom of a box that I had bought for something else.

Attachments

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice score.
Thanks, I do seem to have had a bit of luck with knives recently, last year I kept running into deals on holsters that I was able to easily turn around for a profit.

This time though, I want to keep the knives.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
Nice!

Good deal for those knives.

ca'jun56

Reactions: Mavrik

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well ain’t that interesting. You have my attention. Just something about old knives. I always wish they could speak and tell the stories. Good catch there. I believe I’d hang on to them too.

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
Nice score there! Would be cool to know there stories.

Reactions: Mavrik

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well ain’t that interesting. You have my attention. Just something about old knives. I always wish they could speak and tell the stories. Good catch there. I believe I’d hang on to them too.
Sometimes the most fun part for me starts after I buy something. I have a bad habit of impulse buying items and then have to figure out what it was that I just got. Not that it's always a bad thing, it's how I ended up with my 73 336A .35 rem, which was an Oh that's a different configuration and it's priced to sell.

The Edge-Brand above is probably fairly straightforward but I would like to know more about the Mexican Bowie.

From some brief internet searching it looks like those Eagle head Bowies were a style for a while as I can find a decent number of examples thanks to google. I haven't seen any of them with that Makers mark, assuming that's what it is, and it's not just a Home-made version. I'll probably take it past a couple of gun shows and ask some of the knife sellers if anyone knows anything.

Here's another, an old British Bayonet that I picked up a few months back and what I know about it so far..
Some info based on this page: British Pattern 1888 MkI, Type 2 Lee-Metford Bayonet

1888 Lee-Metford Bayonet, MK1 second Type (based on number of brass rivets and placement of oil holes)
Maker - Wilkinson London, that can barely be read thanks to all the issue stamps
Proofs - X (Blade Proof), Arrow over WD (War Department Proof)
Inspectors Mark (same side as X & WD proofs) Crown over 35 W

Opposite side of blade -
Issue dates (that I can make out) - (18 ) 91, 96, 99, 00, 03, 06
Additional Inspectors Marks -
Crown over 44 E (Stamped Twice)
Crown over 36 L

This thing really got around and I wonder how it wound up at an estate sale in rural eastern Missouri. I'd love to hear that story.

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
Often auctions/estate sales with a lot of guns can lead to very good finds on other items. Folks don't want to spend much until the guns have sold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts