Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gun was on Gunbrokers.com and looks in pristine condition. This is my first centerfire gun. i've been a traditional bow archer for years...that means I've done a lot of hunting with no results. Now I'd like to go deer hunting and be able to reach out farther than 15 -20 yards. The gun is tapped for a scope so all i have to do is get the right mounting devices. I'm writing this post because I'm sure this particular combination has probably been done by other Marlin 336W owners and just in case there may be an "ideal" set up. Or, there may not be an "ideal" set up and any mounting plate and rings that fit will do. But i would just hate to find out after I ordered the least correct combination there was a better solution. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Get a Weaver style base, I think the Weaver base number for the Marlin is 63B. Lots of rings will work. I like the Burris Zee rings or the Burris Signature rings for Weaver style bases. Weaver rings will also work well. My guess is the medium rings will work but you might need high rings with that scope, I am not sure about the objective diameter.

·
Super Moderator
25,173 Posts
This is what my Model 336A 35 Rem looks like with the Weaver 63B base and Quad-lock Weaver rings. The scope is a Bushnell Banner 3-9X40mm--about the same size as your Nikon. Using this set-up, I was able to get the scope low mounted which promotes proper check to stock weld, clear sight picture, and helps with the rifles handling characteristics. There are other mounts and rings that will work too. I have always had great luck with Weaver products--so that's what I use mostly.

DSCN0281.JPG

·
Super Moderator
25,173 Posts
I moved this thread to the 336 Forum since we are posting about a 336W--not a Model 36.

·
Super Moderator
17,247 Posts
I'm with Herman... 63B Weaver mount and Burris Z rings ( medium high to clear 40mm apateur ) ride on my 336W... 3 x 9 x 40 scope also... Even though a 30-30 doesn't use all of a 3 x 9 I'm using a 40 because my old eyes need all the help they can get...

·
Registered
787 Posts
Your 3x9 might need med high rings. I ONLY use steel one piece bases from Leupold or Burris and either's solid rings, with either you cannot go wrong.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I use the Leupold base and medium rings on my 336 for a 3x9 40mm Nikon Prostaff it's the perfect combination!!!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Another Good Option is a set of Warne Steel 2 peice Bases.
I Realy Like the way they Look & They're Solid Steel.
As for Rings, I Agree 100% on the Ole Weaver Steel Rings.
I have this Setup on All 3 of my Marlin Lever Guns.
And for Scopes, Take a Look at Weaver's Kaspa Line.
Very Nice Scopes for the Money.
I have one on each of My Marlins.
UncleSarge58

PS: If you Need a Weaver one peice Base, I have 2 that I took Off my rifles.
I'm Not using them. PM me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks people for the recommendations. Been out of town for a couple days haven't had opportunity to check back. When I got back, my Weaver 63B and Burris Signature Steel rings were here. Now to follow the post on mounting the scope. Will do that slowly and carefully. Looking forward to the experience. Thanks again for taking your time and the offer of the base too, that seems to be typical of the help offered on this site. Kudos to ya'all.

Don M

1 - 10 of 10 Posts