Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was in a pawn shop out in the country yesterday and I spotted a 336 on the rack. I asked to see it and it was an RC in 35 rem with a serial number M15XXX. It says $325 on the tag. I look at it and man is it dirty, not so much from shooting but just dirty. I give it back and look around for a few more minutes and then I ask him what can do on the price, cash out the door. He says $300. I wanted another one in 35 since I gave the one I use back to my dad. Needless to say I bought it. It needs a new front sight, I haven't taken it out yet. Is it 1/2"? I also think i'd like to put a more user friendly rear sight on it. Also are the holes d/t'd in the left side of the receiver for a peep sight (see picture)? Would this have been done at the factory? I ran a patch down the bore and it looks like new. I also completely tore it down and gave it a deep cleaning. I have been on a bit of a lever gun binge in the past week. I also picked up a 1975 win 94 in 30/30 about a week ago. It's not a pre '64, but it has some beautiful wood and don't think more than a box of shells have been through it. I also picked it up for $300.

I'm sure I'll have questions in the future and thanks for all the good info on here.

Excuse the picture quality, I used my phone.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Your pictures are of two different rifles. You have pictures of a Marlin 336 and than a Winchester model 94.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Why don't you show complete pictures of the whole rifle? I'd like to see the whole shebang. :D

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Yes, the holes on the left side of the receiver are for mounting a peep sight.
Looks to me like you did OK on it, congrats and welcome to MO's.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Looks like it cleaned up nicely. The "perch belly" look has really grown on me over the years! 8)
Nice score!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Snaildarter said:
So I was in a pawn shop out in the country yesterday and I spotted a 336 on the rack. I asked to see it and it was an RC in 35 rem with a serial number M15XXX. It says $325 on the tag. I look at it and man is it dirty, not so much from shooting but just dirty. I give it back and look around for a few more minutes and then I ask him what can do on the price, cash out the door. He says $300. I wanted another one in 35 since I gave the one I use back to my dad. Needless to say I bought it. It needs a new front sight, I haven't taken it out yet. Is it 1/2"? I also think i'd like to put a more user friendly rear sight on it. Also are the holes d/t'd in the left side of the receiver for a peep sight (see picture)? Would this have been done at the factory? I ran a patch down the bore and it looks like new. I also completely tore it down and gave it a deep cleaning. I have been on a bit of a lever gun binge in the past week. I also picked up a 1975 win 94 in 30/30 about a week ago. It's not a pre '64, but it has some beautiful wood and don't think more than a box of shells have been through it. I also picked it up for $300.

I'm sure I'll have questions in the future and thanks for all the good info on here.

Excuse the picture quality, I used my phone.
Those last two pics must be Marlinchesters.... Seriously, that is a great looking Marlin made in 1955.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Littlemarlin said:
Looks like it cleaned up nicely. The "perch belly" look has really grown on me over the years! 8)
Nice score!
I agree about the perch bellys. Straight fore-end stocks do nothing for me. I also love the RC's. The SC's just don't look right to me. IMHO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike Leck said:
What's your Marlin's serial number? The stock is a newer replacement. The front sight's dovetail is the standard 3/8"
M15XXX, how can you tell it's a replacement stock?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Snaildarter said:
M15XXX, how can you tell it's a replacement stock?

I think your's is a 1956 manufacture - might be the original, wasn't the black pistol grip cap added in the early 50's - 1952 or 53? I may be wrong on this but hopefully someone will help us! :D

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Nice find, good for you. Looks like it was made in 1955, the screw holes on the left are factory for a receiver sight, and to me the stock looks right. At least it is the same as is on my 1957 model. It should be factory D & T for a scope mount if my memory hasn't slipped a cog. Enjoy and welcome. Jack

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Nice rifle! In much better shape than my 57, congrats. DP

·
Registered
797 Posts
That's a very nice 55 model RC you have there.

I'm not sure when Marlin came out with the blk. plastic pistol grip cap, but I know of an SC in .35 Rem. with the letter prefix "J" (52 model) that doesn't have one... but I don't believe your buttstock is a replacement.
Not a big fan of perch belly stocks, but they do look better with the barrel bands, than the forend cap rifles. I am the opposite on this with the slimmer forend stocks.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Snaildarter, welcome to MO. nice 336 you got yourself there and at a good price also. take care, John.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Looks like you picked up a couple of old fashioned game getters ;D, Very cool. That 35 cleaned up nice, hope it shoots as well as it looks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Is the front sight damaged? It looks OK - that bead front sight is my favorite! I pick it up much faster than a ramp-type front sight and if you rub that brass bead with your thumb it will shine like a light. ;)

Cedar Creek

1 - 20 of 23 Posts