Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my local gun shop today and they had the 2005 Catalogs for Marlin and NEF..America's favorite riflemaker is trying the shotgun market again..Here are some highlights:

No changes to the Big Bores at all...though I would have loved to see the 444p come back in a stainless version.

They are dropping the 336CB in 38/55 and not replacing it with anything :oops: :shock: , this is causing a dilema in my head as I'm trying to save for an 1895GS but would hate to miss out on the 336CB as it is one of the finest feeling lever actions I ever picked up and there was one left at the shop with a $589 price tag as compared to $515 for the GS.

A new 1894 in 32/20, by the picture not the most attractive lever Marlin has made.

Now are you ready for this..the last 2 pages are filled with LC Smith Shotguns in SXS and O/U(not a LC original) made not here but Italy :oops:

NEF catalog:

3 new pump shotgun offerings and 4 auto shotgun offerings..

The good news from NEF is the Handi Rifle is being offered in the 500 S&W mag :D

I can understand that they have to make a buck, but they have never had great fortune in the shotgun market(imported no less) and did not offer their loyal customers any new offerings in what I consider their basic, go to line. :x

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Pretty pitiful to get into the shotgun market using a classic, highly regarded name like LC Smith, and then put it on an imported gun! One thing I always respected about Marlin was the fact they were American made. Guess they're headed the same way as Wrenchester.
I hoped they were gioing to bring back the Ballard single shot rifles. A year or two ago at the NRA show, the factory sales people were quite impressed with the Ballard display that MFCA put on, with the help of John Dutcher's collection, and made rumblings about maybe considering a repro of them. Guess they wimped out on that idea too.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No the RL is not in the book.

MM93..I agree totally. They state that they own the LC Smith name and are having these built to their quality standard but come on, these shotguns were "AMERICAN" Classics

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I agree as to the American Made part.. but I will wait till I see the quality before I pass judgement on the shottys.. I can tell you they start importing the rest of the Marlin line I will probably not buy another new one ..

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I with you on that one Gunjunkie

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
So does anybody really think that their "NEW FOR 2005" will be available before this time next year, when you might start seeing their "NEW FOR 2004" rifles???

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a NIB 1970 issue L.C. Smith Field Grade. A good, solid gun, but seriously lacking in the refinements of my Syracuse and Hunter Arms guns. The 1970 version has wood filler to cover up inletting "Oopsies" and the aluminum vent rib is fastened on with some sort of non-hardening adhesive. I don't know if Acra-Glass was around then, but if they were bent on using an adhesive, it might've been a better choice. The gun still utilized the original rotary locking mechanism, though. I have seen beautiful Italian guns, but I could not imagine Marlin putting their name on a Perazzi, Rizzini, or even a Beretta, and trying to make it affordable for the average 'Joe'. I heard they were going to use guns from an outfit in Turkey. Also, if they are inclined toward the CAS crowd, fine tuned pheasant or skeet guns may not be what we'll be seeing.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
You might have noticed that the new Remington Spartan line of shotguns (O/U and SxS) are the Bikails from Russia. The Bikails are pretty solid guns.

·
Registered
420 Posts
TTT, amen on the Baikals. Excellent value.

Does anyone in the US manufacture double-barrel shotguns anymore? I can understand Marlin's decision to private label some foreign shotguns over the expense of ramping up domestic production for a line of double-barrels that are unlikely to sell more than a few thousand annually. It'd take a decade to recover the startup costs.

Not that I wouldn't like to see a modestly priced American-made double-barrel of reasonable quality from Marlin (or anyone else, for that matter).

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tom G

Ib believe the Ruger is American Made. Not a bad gun for the money. I do agree there are some fine italian shotguns being made but doubt Rizzini, Perazzi or Beretta made guns are going to be in the average joe's price range :cry:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Most folks who love old LC Smiths, will agree that they went seriously downhill, when Marlin first took over the name many years ago! As Roundsworth described, the LC's from the 70's are NOT the same guns as the early ones.
I don't have a problem with Marlin importing shotguns from overseas, but why not just call them Marlin shotguns, or make up a new model name for them? Haven't they done enough damage to the old LC Smith name already? Nobody seriously expects a Marlin marked LC Smith to be anything close to the old LC's, so why use the name?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ranch Dog said:
Was the 35 Rem chambering dropped?
Don't let your heart be troubled. Marlin 336C .35 Remington is in the 2005 Catalog!

Now can anyone figure this out. Some one at Marlin on drugs! Last year they introduced the 1894CB (Cowboy) .32 H&R Magnum and botched it by making it with a loading port in the tubular magazine.

Now for this year they introduce the 1894CL (not cowboy) .32-20 with a loading gate on the side of the reciever like an 1894 should be. I just shake my head........

·
Registered
7 Posts
tubbythetuba said:
You might have noticed that the new Remington Spartan line of shotguns (O/U and SxS) are the Bikails from Russia. The Bikails are pretty solid guns.
The Spartan line is not the same gun from Baikal you may be thinking of. The Spartan IS NOT an underbreech double lock action. (Sory don't know the proper terminology for this type action) and it is striker fired....no hammer. It has a lock up just like that of NEF's Handi Rifle only the trigger guard is the operating lever, not a lever beside the hammer.

I would rather have the NEF than the Spartan.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
JPH45 said:
tubbythetuba said:
The Spartan line is not the same gun from Baikal you may be thinking of. The Spartan IS NOT an underbreech double lock action. (Sory don't know the proper terminology for this type action) and it is striker fired....no hammer. It has a lock up just like that of NEF's Handi Rifle only the trigger guard is the operating lever, not a lever beside the hammer.

I would rather have the NEF than the Spartan.

This direct from the EAA site vis-a-via Baikal.....please visit the site if you dont believe me............ http://www.eaacorp.com/news.shtml

On November 6, 2004 we let the cat out of the bag, so to speak. All of the guns we had been importing from Baikal of Russia (IZH models), will now be sold under the Spartan by Remington” name brand. We will continue to perform warranty work on the Baikal line. Spartan by Remington guns will be at a slightly higher price than similar EAA models, so buying an EAA model is a good investment since the price will only increase. If you are a dealer, stock up on all the EAA Baikal guns you can find and enjoy the profit. The change to Spartan by Remington was a positive change for the Baikal line and fully supported by EAA Corp. The Baikal plant in Russia will now be working with one of the oldest and largest names in the USA firearms business and we are proud to have had a part in this historic event.

We will keep all our IZH / Baikal models on the website for the time being while inventories are being sold off.
Whatever you're thinking about, this info from the importer would seem to be more reliable..................Sorry....ttt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry tubbythetuba, the Spartans are already in our local Walmart, I'm reporting on what I have held in my own hands, not a report, not flamin', just the facts.

·
Registered
496 Posts
To different cartridges. The .32-20 has a bigger head/rim than the .32H&R. That makes the .32-20 easier to load through a gate in the side of the receiver.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
JPH45 said:
Sorry tubbythetuba, the Spartans are already in our local Walmart, I'm reporting on what I have held in my own hands, not a report, not flamin', just the facts.
http://www.google.com/search?source...GGLD:2004-51,GGLD:en&q=spartan+shotgun+baikal

Well, everyone but you seems to know otherwise..........
They ARE Baikals. You're "facts" do not seem to be in order. I'm not flaming either......Baikal/Remington has been common knowledge for monthes. There might be a little difference in the looks, but they ARE made by Baikal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts