Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i picked up this today from a friend. he got it from an old farmhouse here in SC he called it a fish fryer, i don't think so. dose anyone know what it was originally used for? it has 2 gate marks that should put it pre 1900, do ya'll think it originally had a cover? it is about 10 1/2 in. deep,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
425 Posts
My guess would be back in the day a roaster, and yes it should have had a lid.

As for the buddy calling it a fish fryer, in today's world that's what it would likely be sold as, with a dual burner propane set up. Lodge currently sells one very similar to it, and lists it as a Roaster/Deep Fish Fryer.

Few images of similar new and vintage cast iron ware here...

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i don't know about a roaster. this thing is 21in long! and 10 1/2in deep. and it is designed to sit on the legs and the way the inside is curved with a sump in the bottom. it sits on the bottom and the legs supports it and keeps it from rocking. i just don't think it would have been in an oven. it would have took one large oven! most kettles/pots with legs were made to use on a campfire. it has me stumped, but i am going to use it on my gas outside cooker to fry whatever i want,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well having said that, I find no reference to the dual burner propane set up. Lodge sold their's with a charcoal burner.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you also have to keep in mind this piece was made before 1900, i know that because it has 2 gate marks on the bottom,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: 308/338 and JohnD13

·
Registered
425 Posts
Cool old piece regardless, and yeah it'll fry up anything you want to fry if you can afford the oil to fill it.

See a few of these pieces, Lodge being one of them, but I found a few others, that had an accompanying griddle that was used as the lid. Most have a ring around the bottom of the griddle allowing one to stack coals on them and use it as Dutch Oven. Given the age, the feet, and its size, I wonder if it wouldn't have been set in the fireplace, rather than on top of the stove.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That looks like a wonderful piece of history. I always wonder what an antique item such as yours would say if it could talk. Congratulations on your new piece of cookware, OLSKOOL!

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
well i don't know about a roaster. this thing is 21in long! and 10 1/2in deep. and it is designed to sit on the legs and the way the inside is curved with a sump in the bottom. it sits on the bottom and the legs supports it and keeps it from rocking. i just don't think it would have been in an oven. it would have took one large oven! most kettles/pots with legs were made to use on a campfire. it has me stumped, but i am going to use it on my gas outside cooker to fry whatever i want,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
It is possible it was designed to sit on top of a old wood stove and work as a roaster.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I think the fireplace/wood stove would be the idea for something that large. Momma could make a pot FULL of something in that. Neat piece, never seen cast iron that large.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is possible it was designed to sit on top of a old wood stove and work as a roaster.
I think the fireplace/wood stove would be the idea for something that large. Momma could make a pot FULL of something in that. Neat piece, never seen cast iron that large.
yep, that is what we are thinking, on top of a wood stove or fireplace,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i posted this on the cast iron cook forum. one of the men that answered is the resident expert. he says this

That would be a ham boiler. Popular enough in their time that toy versions are seen. Made both footed and flat-bottomed. Usually no lid, but Lodge made one with a two-part (think coffin) lid. Popularity waned after the 1930s.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I have one the same shape but only about 3" deep. Belonged to my grandpa and all he ever cooked in it was fish and hush puppies. By the way who come up with calling fried corn meal hush puppies?

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Olskool,
I think it's a bread loaf pan. If it's not, I would at least try making bread in it.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
33,728 Posts
Wow! talk about Rob's bathtub!
I've never seen one that big! That's awesome find right there!
I had the opportunity to pick up a large pot with cover, but the handle was broken off the top! Should have took it but!

ca'jun56

1 - 20 of 29 Posts