Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here goes, got the wife a new Nikon pocket camera. Hope I can get them uploaded! DSCN0050.JPG DSCN0049.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Nice rifle indeed!

Reactions: Deadwood Pike

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Nice looking Tom! No problems seeing your prey with that one. Don't get distracted and start counting ticks on that big buck before ya pull the trigger.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
got the wife a new Nikon pocket camera.
It looks like that Nikon takes good pics. Try them in the shade or on a cloudy day. I like my Coolpix and if that is what you bought her get a hard display cover, not one of those peel off types. They need protection.
Nice rifle, I have a 3-9 on mine but I want to get a 1-4 or maybe a low power fixed.

Reactions: Deadwood Pike

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The scope is actually a 1.5X6X42 Barska I had lying around. It will have to do for quite a while as I shelled out $4200 for a new roof recently so no mad money in the foreseeable future. It's a royal pain living on a fixed income but I do love the freedom of being retired. It does look a bit too big for the rifle but I've learned to live with it.

Had that rifle to the range yesterday shooting one of my handloads consisting of 23.5 grains of W-296 pushing a Magtech 240 grain JSN at 1765 fps. Load printed 2.64" and 4.96" at 200 yards averaging 3.80" (17" of up elevation from a 100 yards zero). Feeling lucky, I tried hitting the steel pigs at 300 yards holding over what looked like four feet. Heard the satisfying "smack" three out of five times and the "pigs" slowly fell over (much to my surprise). Definitely not a feat I'd try on a live animal!

·
Registered
20,501 Posts
Very nice!:tee:

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Hey Tom, that's a good looking rifle in a super caliber. I agree with you that a smaller scope will look good on the 1894 but for target work the one you have on the gun will work just fine.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Nice rifle brother!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, that's nice.

And seeing as it's July 4th-- THANK YOU for your service so many years ago.

Old No7

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Good lookin rifle. Sounds like you found a load that is working in that rifle. How about the 444?

·
Premium Member
17,013 Posts
Hey GA,

Fine looking 1894!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good lookin rifle. Sounds like you found a load that is working in that rifle. How about the 444?
Oh yeah! That one is shooting well too. Over on the 444 forum I recently posted range results with it out to 200 and 300 yards with 300 grain XTP's.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, that's nice.

And seeing as it's July 4th-- THANK YOU for your service so many years ago.

Old No7
Thanks, I appreciate that.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reshot the Magtech 240 grain JSN pushed by 23.5 grains of W-296. Bullets were seated out a bit farther to 1.630". Velocity averaged 1778 fps. I cranked in 8.5 inches of elevation from my 200 yard zero and put three shots into 8.5 inches at 300 yards. Point of Impact was approximately 7 inches below my point of aim. I fired six rounds and five steel pigs fell. One pig I could see the bullet splash low on the silhouette but it didn't fall over until the second shot which hit higher on the steel. I never in a million years would have expected the 44 magnum to perform like it has. I'll have to run drop and velocity tables to see what my remaining velocity looks like.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Running drop tables on the JBM site, shows velocity at 300 yards to be a sedate 1054 fps. No wonder the "pigs" fell so slowly! :laugh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts