Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As promised a photo and range report. Here is my new to me Model 36 RC in .30/30.
Looks good and shoots great. I was able to put six shots in a 3 inch bull at 50 yards, off hand.
I think I'll keep it.
Andy

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Andy, I'd be an awfully small deer not to be in big trouble it would seem to me. Congratulations on the new gun, and that's a nice photo. Steve.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve. My wife should get credit for showing me how to save and post photo's.
Andy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cornbread,
Thanks. The knife is a 1890's "Green River Butcher" pattern from England. The maker is Christopher Johnson and Son's.
These were imported by Atlanta Cutlery in the 1970's.
Andy

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thats a very nice looking rifle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Andy nice rifle looks in excellant shape. I picked one up myself last week also in excellant shape mine does not have the Bullseye in the stock though. Serial number starts with D manufactured in 1946 I believe, curious when yours was manufactured. Glen

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mike. I think so too. Whoever had it before me took good care of it. It was made in 1947.
Andy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glen,
Thanks. It sure was well looked after. The rifle's serial # is D 170** it was made in 1947.
SDR, Thanks. Andy

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Andy* - That is a nice model 36 you have. Also an interesting case. Just wondering, do you shoot black powder? My model 36 was made in 1947 also. D 56X It really likes a 180 grain cast bullet over 9.7 grains of Unique powder. Shenandoah

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
00buck, Thanks, I am pretty happy with my first Marlin.
Shenandoah, Thanks for the load information. I do shoot black powder, only through my muzzleloaders however.
The case is made from some large pieces of chamois skin I got from an auto parts store. I was trying to get the look and feel of Brain tan leather, without the expense.
Andy

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
So that's what my model 36 was supposed to look like. Very nice, I've tried mine with cast and squib loads and find it very accurate.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Swany,
Thanks. I sure got lucky in my find. Most of the 36's I've seen were either abused or had a scope mounted on them.
Finding one that was well taken care of was a long search.
Andy

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Here is mine as bought with extroadinary wood abuse to the nth degree, but that stock is being used by a Marlin Owners members child. I then abused it a bit myself and added a crescent butt plated stock. I also thinned the fore stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Swany,
I like what you did. Looks a lot like a 1893 at first glance. Nice job.
Andy

·
Registered
278 Posts
Andy and Swanny, very nice rifles indeed. I really like the non checkered look of the older 36's and 336's, and that slimmed down forend looks nice and sleek. Wouldnt have the heart to do that to my '09 model, but Ive thought about getting an '86 336CS thats hanging around locally that the wood has seen a bit of abuse and having a "play" with it.

Thanks for sharing guys. ;)

Cheers, Scott.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scott,
Thanks. If my 36 was a mess, I think I would do what Swany did. That turned out pretty neat.
Nothing wrong with "playing" with a gun that needs a little help...
Andy

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
First i would like to say congrats on the new family member and boy is it a beauty ;) looks like she was well taken care of :eek: good luck with er.DCH. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts