Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:questionmark:

Was out clipping some fields and ran across this pictured below. Can anyone tell what creature built it? It is about Six foot in diameter at the base and three feet in height.

Grass Plant community Grass family Plant Shrubland

Grass Plant community Shrubland Grass family Plant

Also, the third picture is of some rooting / digging that started happening within the last 18 months. It is about five feet across and one foot deep with dirt pilled all around the edges. There are at least four dozen or more of these diggings within 100 feet of the above nest.

Grass Vegetation Tree Grass family Plant

I believe this is Feral Hog sign, am I right?
Armadillo have been a problem as long as I can remember, this larger scale digging is new to me.

:questionmark:

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Chupacabra:questionmark::ahhhhh:

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
Hard to tell from the pics but the rooting/digging might be hogs. The pile of dead grass wouldn't likely be from hogs though.

Get a ten foot pole and flip it over. And have a buddy with a gun waiting in case it is a chupacabra. LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I have seen my pigs (domestic) sense a weather change and root out a hole to fit them. Then the pig would scratch up grass with the front feet, balling it up under himself. The grass was pushed over the hole and the pig inserted himself in the hole with the grass over his back..............Nice and warm.........As it is not winter time, I cant imagine what or why. Maybe to get away from bugs?

Papalote

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it close to any water?....?.......... I was thinkin Muskrat, but need more info of area...
Yes water is nearby, 50 to 100 yards in almost any direction. In the second picture the tree line is the ditch / mini-bayou. They hold water around 7 to 8 months of the year
The property is on the Northern edge of the Atchafalaya swamp in Louisiana.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Looks a little big for any muskrats I've seen, as for the beavers and gators wouldn't they want it a little closer to the water? Seems a little more pig like to I. Any tracks?

Reactions: rhett

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Muskrat

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks a little big for any muskrats I've seen, as for the beavers and gators wouldn't they want it a little closer to the water? Seems a little more pig like to I. Any tracks?
It is supposed to rain for a couple of days, I will go out and check for fresh tracks. After running the brush clipper it was hard to see any tracks from the tractor. I've got hundreds of the rooting / diggings so I'm sure I'll find some tracks. I've seen deer, bear, bobcat, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, raccoon, coyote, etc, just not Feral Hawgs yet. Honestly I do not want them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses.

Well, researched Muskrat, that lead to Nutria and by chance this photo showed up. Just might be the architect.

Bird Stork Ciconiiformes White stork Beak

I guess after I get some fresh tracks from around some fresh rooting I can confirm that.
Thanks again

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Are there a lot of European Storks in Louisiana?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are there a lot of European Storks in Louisiana?
No, however there are Cranes. The above picture was labeled "Kranich auf dem Nest", I thought it best represented the nest size. I do remember seeing a very large white bird flying while I was clipping the next field over. I will pay more attention my next time out.

Sheesh, first the "Chupacabra" and now a "Rougarou". Muskrat was the best response except the nest has no entry opening.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Try your local DNR (Dept of Natural Resources) or whatever they call themselves in La. They usually have a wildlife biologist familiar with the local wildlife and I bet the can answer your question lickety-split.

Also your local agricultural extension agents are pretty knowledgeable about wildlife in their areas too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.