Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I think this is for the law that didn't pass last year. Not sure though.

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
It would be nice. I am lucky that many states honor Florida's permit. It is still a gamble though on how you are going to be treated out of your own state. I don't worry about the southern states so much but would not even drive through NJ NY or DC. Of course this law would not help with those places anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Just the way it should be. No different than a driver's license except that a driver's license is not a Right! Shame it has more privilege. just something wrong with that.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
NH has almost no States that reciprocate because all we need to get a CCW is to
go to the local Cop Station, fill out a form, wait 2 weeks and if we aren't
a criminal we pay $10 and get our 4 year permit.

Most States put a lot of criteria to qualify for a CCW.

So unless they include NH in the petitions for these laws I won't sign them.
They need to not make it harder for the States that actually follow the
Constitution.

In other words we should get reciprocation based on how we get a CCW now
and not have to make new tougher laws to get a CCW.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Wow, that's a bargain. I believe our CC Permits in my county are $30 for 5 years. It just got ridiculous. So I went the PA Senior Lifetime Hunting license route. After going to the required Safety Training course and passing the written test, I went to the County Treasurer and paid $51.70 for the license. Then, I bought a Sportsman Permit that allows me to carry a side arm while hunting. $5.00 for a 5 year permit. I had a CC permit for 10 years and never carried it concealed one time, so it was throwing money away. I only have any kind of firearm (99% of the time a rifle) when I go to the range, or go scouting/hunting in the state forest or state game lands. The hunting license covers the use of any state owned firing range. That fits what I want to do and is all nice and legal. A permit to use the range is $30 a year, for those folks without a hunting license. PA also has tons of private clubs that have their own shooting ranges too, but the state owned range is 10 miles from my house.

I found the Hunter's safety program very beneficial, I learned a lot. It was worth doing, and its free.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have to retake my Hunters safety course this June. I haven't hunted in long enough
that the laws have all changed.
Thankfully the course isn't expensive and my wife wants to take it as well.
It's good to take the course at least every 10 years.
No idea how much hunting licenses are in NH now because they are now requiring them
to be fully computerized and linked to the State.

Our Gun clubs in NH are pricey and many are all filled up with no new
members allowed. Public land to shoot on isn't easy to find either.
This is why we didn't want all those people from Mass moving up here!

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
In Florida to get your conceal carry you are required to take a class and then also shoot on a range. Once you have done that then you have to complete the application and submit it with fingerprints and $117.00. That is good for 7 years. To renew it cost $65.00. As of Feb. 28th 2014 there are 1,277,877 active Florida concealed carry permits.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Florida is seweeet!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
NH has almost no States that reciprocate because all we need to get a CCW is to
go to the local Cop Station, fill out a form, wait 2 weeks and if we aren't
a criminal we pay $10 and get our 4 year permit.

Most States put a lot of criteria to qualify for a CCW.

So unless they include NH in the petitions for these laws I won't sign them.
They need to not make it harder for the States that actually follow the
Constitution.

In other words we should get reciprocation based on how we get a CCW now
and not have to make new tougher laws to get a CCW.
I used to have a NH permit, back in the day everyone reciprocated with NH, that's why it was so good to have one.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Very few States reciprocate with NH but NH does reciprocate with many other States.
I see nothing in the Constitution that requires people to have a test before they
can exercise their rights.
Nor do I see anywhere where the Govt is allowed to tax us or require a fee for
us to exercise our rights.

Maybe they should give a test before you can vote and then charge a fee for
voting rights.

Nah, they wouldn't do that then the stupid and the poor couldn't vote and
that would be the end of the Democrat party!

·
Registered
422 Posts
There should be no need for a CCW. I own the gun, I have a right to use it as I see fit within the law. "We The People" (citizens) have a right to self protection. To carry or not is not an issue to be decided by politicians or fools who don't represent me or our ideals. (I signed, it's a start)

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
One thing for sure, the state should give people a test before they are allowed to bear children. Some people should not reproduce.

The charges for a CC permit in Florida sounds pretty expensive.

Mike T.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just my thoughts, I would like to see a national reciprocity for CCWs. I'd also like to see lower application fees, most states that charge anything over $50 are doing it to help offset some other shortfall in their budgets. My belief is that of most gun-owners, in that the 2nd Amendment guarantees my right to keep and bear arms, however I still think that doing a class with range time, and showing a competency in your being able to handle a revolver and/or semi-auto (name the basic parts, field strip it for cleaning, put it back together, know and show proper operation including loading, unloading, engage and disengage any safety mechanism of your firearm) should be required, not just where you show up at the class, pass the written portion, then go to the range to shoot and qualify.

I've seen too many people who are at the range doing the qualification phase and they fumble around so much with trying to load or unload/reload their weapon of choice, that they need assistance from the instructor or another class-mate to get through it. This is where I'd like to see some changes made. I've seen more than a handful of folks load ammo into the magazine backwards. As for renewals, a quick range trip to show you still can handle the firearm and it still functions like it's supposed to, is all that should be needed every few years.

We wouldn't want to just toss a newbie a set of keys to a random vehicle of their choice and send them on a road-trip without any training or knowledge of how to operate that vehicle. Think it should be the same for firearms when it comes to CCW. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
@ Husker Leverman
I'd vote strongly against anything like you suggest. I am a range Officer and I see
my share of idiots. That said the liberals believe you can mandate safety through
policy and laws and you cannot.
Where does the Constitution say you need a class and test to exercise your rights?
That is infringing on our rights.
People have the right to be ignorant or stupid or take a class but to mandate
it is not in the spirit of the Constitution.

I'm all for safety but that safety cannot trump or rights and more importantly
our freedoms.

For the record, during stress tests I've seen cops tray and load their shotguns
backwards, drop their guns and miss the targets by so much it's hard to believe
they are facing the right way.

So that means none of those cops should carry guns, right?

Driving a car is not a right, the right to own a gun and carry it is not a suggestion
it is a mandate in the Constitution.

Reactions: miket156

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't want this and you shouldn't either. I guess it's no big deal if you live in a state that requires training and high fees. In PA it cost me $20, it wasn't much more if I'm wrong, and the fifteen minutes to fill out the paperwork(no fingerprints) and wait for them to print out the license. License is good for five years and it takes all of fifteen minutes to renew. You walk in w/out one and walk out w/ the license in your hand. The analogy to a drivers license isn't correct. You are comparing a privilege to a god given right. I don't think I should have to get a CCW to begin w/. But the last thing I want is for other states to say I need training to exercise this right. You can bet w/ the government involved costs would skyrocket and their would be strict training requirements. This helps no one that lives in a free state already. My vote is always no on this issue and I contact my representatives letting them know this.

however I still think that doing a class with range time, and showing a competency in your being able to handle a revolver and/or semi-auto (name the basic parts, field strip it for cleaning, put it back together, know and show proper operation including loading, unloading, engage and disengage any safety mechanism of your firearm) should be required, not just where you show up at the class, pass the written portion, then go to the range to shoot and qualify.
Why not make everyone go through all that before they can even purchase a firearm? After all we want everyone to be safe, right? Your thoughts are why we are fighting for our rights to begin w/. You want restrictions on a right in the name of safety. Sounds a lot like the Left doesn't it? It does because it is their main pitch, do it for the children(in the name of safety).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Condition 1 & dragon813gt, just to clarify - my analogy is valid, as I am not comparing a right to a privilege, it is comparing the competency aspects of operating a firearm with little to no knowledge in respect to operating a motor vehicle with little to no knowledge, now that isn't a perfect comparison however it is close enough. I am not for more restrictions, however I believe if you are going to take on a responsibility such as a CCW then one should learn or seek training to the best of their ability in how to handle and operate the firearm they've selected. Most folks getting a CCW are doing so to abide by the current laws on the books in their area, so that they can defend themselves or someone else. I would love to see current impediments to CCW cleared away so that anyone wanting to carry can, unfortunately there are a few too many folks out there that do not take the responsibility seriously and those are the ones that when I see them, get me to thinking about the current requirements for CCW and whether they are sufficient enough in the training aspect.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have quite a bit of training. I took it because I wanted to and felt that it would
be good for me to get it.
What you want is to require training in order to exercise your God given rights.
You will never be up on all the laws unless you are a lawyer.
People would be better off if they had firearms training, but they didn't have
firearms training classes 200 years ago and people still owned and carried guns.

What you are advocating Husker is the same as what the Left wants, it's on their
agenda and they have wet dreams over gun owners like yourself who support
their cause even if it's indirectly.

The Govt should not be this involved in our lives, period.
There is no legal justification for requiring a CCW under the Constitution as it
is.

Reactions: BubbaJon

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I have quite a bit of training. I took it because I wanted to and felt that it would
be good for me to get it.
What you want is to require training in order to exercise your God given rights.
You will never be up on all the laws unless you are a lawyer.
People would be better off if they had firearms training, but they didn't have
firearms training classes 200 years ago and people still owned and carried guns.

What you are advocating Husker is the same as what the Left wants, it's on their
agenda and they have wet dreams over gun owners like yourself who support
their cause even if it's indirectly.

The Govt should not be this involved in our lives, period.
There is no legal justification for requiring a CCW under the Constitution as it
is.
I agree 100%. Not all people need to know how to break down a handgun "Field Strip" and reassemble, etc etc. I know a lot of married couples that have husbands that travel during the week and the wife and family are home while he is away. Some of these folks are not exactly "poor" and the wife needs to be able to protect herself and the family while the husband is away. I have seen couples on the hand gun range, and the husband is working with the wife to help her get comfortable with operating a handgun and improve her shooting skills for "Just in case". With the amount of suburbs in our country, solo women and wives need to be able to defend themselves against intruders that are usually armed and trying to rob them.

Don't anyone fall for the Liberal "End around" the 2nd Amendment.

People reproduce without taking a test, and many of them have diseases that can be passed genetically, but they reproduce anyway.

Don't give the Liberals the option of side stepping the Constitution. They have already doing that and Liberal Judges make sure those bogus laws stay on the books.

Mike T.

Reactions: Condition 1

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Well said Mike!

I've been to gun clubs where the older guys don't own any Black guns and
are just fine with the Govt limiting or taking them away because THEY
don't own any and never will.
What they don't get is that the Govt will come around for their O/U
shotguns not long after.

I'm not welcome at club that's not near me because I stood up to
a Senior member who said just that. I pointed out they want all
our guns.
I guess that wore out my welcome, which is ok by me.

Some people never learn, Gun control is about Control, period.
if it wasn't guns it'd be something else.

Reactions: BubbaJon
1 - 20 of 22 Posts