Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
The 336 or any other long gun would definitely be a lot better than nothing but when you consider response time a loaded handgun under the pillow or concealed on ones person or otherwise immediately accessible is the way to go.
Of course the loaded/concealed handgun option might not be legal in some jurisdictions so you use what you got.
In jurisdictions like DC the loaded rifle may not be a legal option but if an armed criminal was threatening the lives of me &/or my family I'd rather as the truism goes be tried by twelve than be carried by six.

Reactions: Spanky1369

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Everybody has a choice........... A 336 in 30-30 would not be mine.

As somebody noted, if that`s all you have...It will have to do.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Everybody has a choice........... A 336 in 30-30 would not be mine.

As somebody noted, if that`s all you have...It will have to do.
Depending on the jurisdiction some Americans have more/better choices than others.
The Second Amendment guarantees the right of the individual to keep and bear arms and will continue to do so unless a liberal administration stacks the deck in SCOTUS and Heller is overturned.

Individual states & cities have their own slant on things and all else being equal I'd rather be a burglar breaking into a house in New York, New Jersey or DC than in Arizona, Vermont or Texas.

Can only think of a handful of jurisdictions where you might get arrested for defending your family & home with a 336C.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd much rather have a rifle with a detachable magazine for this scenario. For a non-semi auto a Remington 760 or 7600 pump would do better in all of Larry's tests.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Yep...I was just thinkin the other day that my short straight stocked Little Texan would be a good home defense gun! Also I can take it out hunting without people freaking out because I have a "scary black rifle"! Of course I think whatever a person has and feels comfortable with is the correct home defense gun! Happy shootin everyone!

·
Registered
300 Posts
The best self defense gun is the one you've trained with.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
For home defence ..... handgun with hps, shotgun with bird shot, rifle in that order.
Handgun with hps, shotgun is easier to aim fast and shoot fast and won't penetrate walls.
Just about anybody can hit a target with a shotgun.
Rifle isn't as quick on the aim & rifle bullets penetrate walls.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I agree with the video completely, a guide gun length 336 would be light and easy to handle in a home situation, it would not, however, be my first choice. Although we keep pistols at home we don't use those for home defense, I get far more range time with long guns and don't want to risk firing somewhere I don't intend to fire when the adrenaline is pumping. My preferred home defense is two parts, A: let my dog run at the attacker and chase them off, and if that doesn't work, it would have given me enough time to get to B: 12ga shotgun with #8 or #9 bird shot, gun of choice being the Mossberg 590a1.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I'll soon be 75 and over my lifetime I have discovered the best form of self defence is "Minding your own flippin business":biggrin:
Agreed.
But violent felons by their nature are not inclined to do that.
That's where the baseball bats, Rottweilers, Dobies, Pit Bulls and guns come in.
I prefer big dogs to guns as home defence but will use both as indicated by the circumstances.
I know from personal observation that a 200 pound Bull Mastiff can rehabilitate a home invader better than any mollycoddling prison treatment program run by "hug a thug" social workers in the world.
A mastiffs jaws are so powerful that the teeth stop only on solid bone and sometimes not even then.......sure sucks to be a burglar cornered in a home by a guard dog.
I got caught up in the heat of the moment and "forgot" to call the dog off right away.......GRIN.
The guy looked like s stitched leather baseball when he got out of the hospital

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
820/1000 ... then you subtract 500 for not being able to carry it on your belt or in your pocket. Doesn't go-over well stuck down in your britches at your local Mexican restaurant.

The you subtract 200 for low cap mags. And then another 100 for slow reloads.

:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
For home defence ..... handgun with hps, shotgun with bird shot, rifle in that order.
Handgun with hps, shotgun is easier to aim fast and shoot fast and won't penetrate walls.
Just about anybody can hit a target with a shotgun.
Rifle isn't as quick on the aim & rifle bullets penetrate walls.
Hand gun perhaps yes but that a shotgun is easier to aim than a small carbine such as a 1894C for example is just a myth, at inside distances of up to 10 yards prob at max the spread of a shotgun is so small that you have to aim it just as much as a carbine...I'd say a 1894c with 38 special loaded in it is just as good if not better. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts