Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
66 Marlin 336RC 003.JPG Working on the looks of the 66 Marlin 336RC. No need to break it down any further as she works and shoots fine. Metal is cleaned up with the Kroil oil and 0000 steel wool and bluing looks great. The wood had been cleaned with Murphy's oil and will be followed up with hand rubbed tung oil. I thought washing the wood down I wood find a dent or at least a small ding somewhere but none. This should turn out to be a real beauty when I get er done. Finished pics in a couple days I hope.

·
Administrator
23,797 Posts
You likely found some 48 year old crud. It is amazing how a lot of once a year big game rifles fare for 50 years or so without a good complete tear down and cleaning.

I would recommend pulling the bolt, tear it down and soak it while you are working the wood.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I second what Swany suggested. Pull it all apart, clean it and then give everything a good polishing. Follow up with a light coat of oil on everything. There's a good video posted in the Gunsmithing section that will walk you through the entire tear-down plus you have a group of members here that will all be glad to help out.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I second what Swany suggested. Pull it all apart, clean it and then give everything a good polishing. Follow up with a light coat of oil on everything. There's a good video posted in the Gunsmithing section that will walk you through the entire tear-down plus you have a group of members here that will all be glad to help out.
+1 on that! Trust us, you won't regret it. Besides, its is an educational experience for the curious. And you'll truly know what you've got.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK been reading some post and looking at a couple videos and have decided to do the tear down. It can't be any worse than the first engine I did. They all ran good and never blew up so I guess I can figure this out. Seem's like I'm always able to handle the large stuff but get easily frustrated with the small things. Nothing I hate worse then a darn lawnmower that won't run. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
You likely found some 48 year old crud. It is amazing how a lot of once a year big game rifles fare for 50 years or so without a good complete tear down and cleaning.

Hey Swany
I resemble that comment as this is the one i am looking for
one as old as me :congrats:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts