Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello MarlinOwner folks!

First post here. I must say that I gained a wealth of information over the past week doing research on a new rifle purchase. Looks like a great community with great members!

I'll try to get right to the point with my question. I have narrowed down my search and feel fairly confident in purchasing a 336BL. Why the large loop you ask? Well I have a nasty case of RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) and without going into the gory details of the disease, I find the large loop much easier on my hand and fingers.

Now down to my concern. I handled the 336BL plus a Henry H009 30-30 this week at the gun shop. I fell in love with the Marlin because of the pistol grip and the beautiful although laminated stock. I checked the fit and finish and it looked to be fine by my standards. But the action seemed a bit rough and jerky. Then when I tried the action on the Henry it was so much smoother. That made me lean toward the Henry, but some of the other features of the rifle turned me off a bit.

My only concern at this point is if the action will loosen up on the Marlin. I kind of expect the action to be a bit rough for a new gun out of the box - the Henry really surprised me with how smooth it was.

There are 2 fairly large gun shops that are having competing sales this weekend and I am going to buy myself a 30-30 lever action rifle on Friday. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance that the action on the 336 will loosen up and smooth out with some use.

Thanks!
Stan

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
welcome from Texas

the action should loosen up as it wears in

·
Registered
221 Posts
Howdy Coaltrain
The 336BL will smooth out over time. Sit and work it while watching TV or reading the forums. I am also considering a BL to go along with my 1895ABL.

Henry is nice, but I am a Marlin fan so I never really picked on up.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Or, you could get a regular ole 336 and buy a big loop lever for it.
I've handled a new Henery, and it is pretty nice, but I like Marlin better.
If you get the 336BL, there's a Gunsmithing section here that will take you thru the steps of polishing the action that will make it slick as glass.
Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome folks!

Kind of funny - I am glad you mentioned working the action while watching TV or something as that is exactly what I had in mind. I've had to do that with a couple new folding knives in the past to get them loosened up so I could open them.

The Marlin has a huge fan base and with good reason. I was actually quite surprised when I visited the local gun shop on Monday, I first looked to see what they had on the used rack. I was quite surprised when the guy behind the counter told me he had no used lever action 30-30's at all. And there had to have been more than 400 used rifles and shotguns on the racks. I know I am not knowledgeable at all when it comes to firearms, but I thought the lever action 30-30 was a big seller over the many years and thought I would see quite a few on the used rack.

Anyway, thanks for the reassurance - it's that final little push I need to finalize my research to make my purchase on Friday. Can't wait now!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or, you could get a regular ole 336 and buy a big loop lever for it.
I've handled a new Henery, and it is pretty nice, but I like Marlin better.
If you get the 336BL, there's a Gunsmithing section here that will take you thru the steps of polishing the action that will make it slick as glass.
Good luck on your decision.
You must have been posting the same time I was.

Now I feel even better about buying the 336BL - if I can get the step by step for polishing the action that would be perfect. Heading over there now to read up on it.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Older Marlins are smooth as butter. I am looking for a big loop too. I'll find one one day. Enjoy yours, slicking up the action is good clean fun.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
The action will smooth up a little with use, but waiting for a real smooth action by working it will take half a life time.
There are many tips in the "Gun Smith Section" on this forum that will help you get there quicker.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners! I too find the pistol grip more comfortable to shoot most days. Gettin' old ain't fer sissys.:vollkommenauf: DP

Reactions: farmboy

·
Banned
651 Posts
Welcome coaltrain!!! I purchased a marlin 1895GBL 45-70 a couple months ago and the action is getting smoother. I also was down to the Henry or the Marlin. Just seems strange loading anything larger than a .22 by removing a rod to load my rifle. I personally like to load my rifle from the side. Just old fashioned I guess. Have fun shootin!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The action will smooth up a little with use, but waiting for a real smooth action by working it will take half a life time.
There are many tips in the "Gun Smith Section" on this forum that will help you get there quicker.
I took a look at the Gunsmith section last night and found the instructions/video for smoothing the action. Looks simple enough and a nice project to do some disassembly and learn more about the rifle.

Welcome to Marlin Owners! I too find the pistol grip more comfortable to shoot most days. Gettin' old ain't fer sissys.:vollkommenauf: DP
With my problem hands/fingers, the pistol grip on the Marlin felt so much better in my hands for sure.

Welcome coaltrain!!! I purchased a marlin 1895GBL 45-70 a couple months ago and the action is getting smoother. I also was down to the Henry or the Marlin. Just seems strange loading anything larger than a .22 by removing a rod to load my rifle. I personally like to load my rifle from the side. Just old fashioned I guess. Have fun shootin!!!
It's been a tough decision. As I get older I really obsess about things like this. $500 is a lot of money to me, and I want to be sure I am getting exactly what I want.

There are pros and cons to each rifle (Marlin vs. Henry) and I could easily do with either one. One major deciding factor in my decision is the support available here at this forum.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Hope you're on the board for a long time Stan. Lots of knowledge and good fun.

ONce the action is smooth you will really appreicate the Marlin. I had a heck of a time smoothing the action on my 338 MXLR and 308 MX. But it can be done with a little lapping and polishing, then it's a real pleasure.

give us a range report!

Ss

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am now the proud owner of a new 336BL! After a couple weeks of obsessing over this purchase, I am very happy with it. This is a huge purchase for me and one that will have to last me the rest of my life. I had to be sure of what I wanted and get a good price.

First I want to share a couple words about the gun shop I go to. It is in the next small city to me (I live in the boonies) and they have no real competition. But I will say that they stay competitive which I give them credit for. Also, they have a huge inventory - I've never gone in there to look at something that they didn't have in stock. Plus a big selection of at least 400 used rifles and shotguns - of course no 30-30 lever guns....

At times when I go in there I don't like the salesman that much. There seems to be 5-6 different guys behind the counter at different times. Most of the time I am treated the way I want to be - as a customer. There are a couple that I feel are a bit condescending. In this area, if you don't wear a flannel shirt with the sleeves cut off, and a dirty baseball cap with a fishing license hanging off it, you are not considered an outdoorsman by some. I mean no disrespect to anyone - I myself look like a grumpy old man with wild long half grey hair and I don't like being around people at all.

I got what I think was one of the owners this morning - super polite and treated me as a paying customer. To me that makes a big purchase like this feel all that much better.

When I was in there on Monday, I looked at the 336BL and the Henry 30-30. As I stated earlier the action on the 336BL was rough at best. Then the Henry action was so smooth it blew me away. I was really torn at that point. But the pistol grip on the Marlin was a huge plus holding it in my arthritic hands. And of course the side gate loading. And I have lots of reassurance from everyone here that I could easily polish the action to get it smooth.

This time I looked at the regular 336CS which was on sale (walnut stock). Tried the action and it was way better than the BL I tried on Monday. Fit and finish were very good to my novice eyes. But I had my mind set on the BL version - something about the carbine(?) models with the short barrel do something to me. Also, the CS version with the walnut stock was a bit thinner feeling in my hands as far as the stock. The laminate stock on the BL just seems to be a little thicker and gave me just a little more purchase - again with my arthritic hands it felt much more comfortable.

So I said I would take the BL. The salesman went to the storeroom and got a new one in the box out. I asked to inspect it which he was fine with. Even said he had 5 more in the back and I can look at all of them if I want - great! First inspected the fit and finish - very good all over with just the most minor gap and the end of the lower tang. Then I checked the action - oh man.......it was as smooth as could be! Not quite the action of the Henry, but so close. I just couldn't believe it. The only stiff part is coming off the closed position takes a little effort, but I am sure that will wear in quickly. It is not enough that I will worry about for sure. And here I was studying the take down and polishing of the action - as far as right now I don't need that at all.

So I am very happy with it - just so happy that the action is so smooth on this one. I know I made the right decision now for sure.

And of course - pics or it didn't happen........

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well folks, I don't know what to do now.

I finally had some nice weather yesterday afternoon and took the rifle out on the deck with the intention of putting a couple rounds through it. Before I got started, I wanted to cycle the action a couple times. I couldn't even move the lever from the closed position. I had to turn the gun and actually pull on the lever from the bottom of the loop to get it off the closed position. With a couple cycles it was the same each time.

So with the great instructions I found here, I removed the lever and bolt to clean it up and lube it lightly with some gun oil. Still the same.

After doing some more research, I found where others have had the same problem:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/p...1798-lever-plunger-how-take-out-slick-up.html

Also in the first couple minutes of this video it is explained quite well:

That repair is well beyond my capabilities. So now I am really frustrated with it. I feel my only option is to return it - I feel I shouldn't have to pay someone to fix the action on a brand new gun.

At this point I feel my only option is to return it. I'm not sure of the gun shop's return/exchange policy, so this should be interesting. Another option would be to send it to Marlin, but I really hate the idea of having to pay for the shipping to them according to their warranty policy.

I'm not trying to make this into a rant. I want this rifle to work for me - I really do. I agonized over the decision to buy this or the Henry for over a week. I realize my hands/fingers are kind of weak due to the RA, but I just can't operate this gun the way it is. My fingers are all swollen and painful this morning just from working the lever a few times yesterday. I think maybe the Henry would be a better fit for me.

I'm going to town tomorrow to visit the gun shop with the gun. I would really appreciate any input from you folks. Part of the reason I choose the Marlin in the first place was the great support of the forum members. Now I need a little guidance before I decide to take it back tomorrow.

Thanks!

·
Registered
262 Posts
You are on a Marlin forum asking if you should buy a Henry, come on you know what the answer is going to be. I had 0 lever actions in January. I am now the proud owner of 4 such guns. I also prefer the looks and feel of the pistol grip guns. I also came here first before buying my first lever action, also I had no preference other than I wanted an AMERICAN made gun and a new gun.

I fondled a lot of new Marlins and unlike you I never found one worth spending my money on. I also read about the Henry's on this forum, there is a page down near the bottom of the main list. Mostly good reading except for the few Marlin owners who stop by to complain about the tube feed, that is just plain lame. I do own 3 Henry's now and the Red and black 1955 Marlin 336SC .35. From using the guns the few times I have been able to get out I prefer the tube feed vs the finger pinching side gate. Anyhow I purchased my first lever gun sight unseen, ordered it from a LGS and had it a few days later. The second gun from the bottom is it, a Henry 30-30.

This gun operates as good as it looks. The lever operates smoothly, it has a good trigger, the checkering is real not roll stamped and it looks great, the furniture is beautiful and it's not plywood, it comes with very nice XS ghost ring sights and it has a lifetime warranty. Absolutely love it.

My second gun that I purchase a couple weeks later is the 55 SC. I changed it a wee bit but it is a great gun also. The Big Boy .44 Mag is a blast and the 22 LR Goldenboy is for my grand daughter. I posted the pic with the Big Boy so you could see the Henry big loop on a gun, the Goldenboy was feeling left out besides I wanted to show the whole gang. I do understand the grip of the gun being an issue because when I shoot mine I keep my pinkie outside the loop. Just wanted to give you a different somewhat unbiased opinion. If you want a Big bore Henry has a 45-70 with the pistol grip, my next gun.
Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Coaltrain, sorry about the Marlin issues. These new Remlins can be like that. ..but, take it back, you are correct that you shouldn't have to tune a new gun just to make it operable. You can try another Remlin, there ARE good ones out there I am told, or grab tne Henry. Folks that own them seem to generally like them, the tube loading is what keeps me from buying one. But that's just me, I don't like tube loaders on any rifle :biggrin:.
See what you can work out with your LGS...should be able to return it....you couldn't even shoot it! Oh....and I'd skip telling them that you had it apart....
Let us know how you make out.
Cheers!
Mazer

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your input Dave and mazer.

I'm not trying to turn this into a rant thread - there is a section for that already. I'm merely sharing my experience. One thing to keep in mind also is that I have a nasty case of RA so any action problems or even slight roughness is really amplified for me.

Anyway, a good story for me comes out of all this. After doing some more research, I saw that a lot of gun shops will not take any returns - period. My receipt doesn't mention returns at all good or bad. So before I got myslef too worked up I called them yesterday and explained the problem. The guy I talked to on the phone remembered me - I think as he was the one who originally showed me the Marlin and Henry a couple weeks ago. After verifying that I was local, that I had not shot it, and had the box and all the goodies, told me it would be fine to exchange it for the Henry (plus the money difference of course). That was a relief.

Went this morning and the counter guy saw me coming, took the Marlin from me, and already had the Henry there behind the counter. Quick paperwork and out the door I went.

I was relieved that they did this for me, and they now have a customer for life. Service like this is uncommon around here especially when they have no competition. First class shop for sure!

So as I reflect on all this on the way home, one of the first simple pieces of advise I got here came to the top of my mind:

If you are buying a new rifle - get the Henry.
If you are buying a used rifle - get the Marlin (pre-Remlin).

But I didn't listen. I wanted the Marlin to work for me so much. I've been looking in this shop for almost a year now for a used one, but one never showed. I then got anxious and bought the new one.

So the story ends well for me. I haven't given up on that used pre-Remlin and will own one eventually. Thank you everyone for your help and opinions going through this. I have faced many challenges the past couple years trying to find things that I can do and/or modify them so I can comfortably work with them.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm glad that things worked out for you. Sounds like a very good shop. I hope that you don't, but should you ever have a problem with your Henry their customer service is beyond compare.

Good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A big welcome from Georgia!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts