Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite aperture sight is a Williams FP, because I can repeat settings if I change out ammo and such.

But the big question is, as I understand it, the FP overhangs the hammer and requires the hammer spur be installed. Not so big of a deal, but I'm curious.

1. does it really require the hammer spur?
2. are there other brands or models that would have the adjustability without having to add the hammer spur?

Here's the admittedly OCD reason. I did an experiment with my 39A and the Williams FP. I had the hammer spur mounted since I'd just removed the scope. I shot the crud out of it at the range. Fun stuff. A couple of weeks later, I'd removed the hammer spur and went back to the range. Shot the crud out of it again. I noticed that this time, my accuracy seemed to be much better than the last trip to the range, so I allowed my OCD brain to kick in.... :eek:

Force = Mass x Acceleration. 8)

Force is constant and is the force of the hammer spring. Mass is increased by the hammer spur, so acceleration goes down. Slower acceleration means longer lock time.

Here's my thoughts: I believe the added weight of the hammer spur increases lock time. I tried to do some math to compute the difference. It was ugly. I had to assume so many parameters that I'm sure my results have no real meaning, other than showing that the lock time indeed increased.

Anyway, it seemed quite noticable to me on my 39A. ;D

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is an 1894C with a Williams 70222 FP-336, it uses the two rearmost scope base holes on the receiver. Williams' product description says a hammer extension is required. I have not found that to be true. The hammer block safety gets a bit crowded

I don't think a hammer extension would affect accuracy. With me, at least, it's the jerk behind the trigger ;D

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I use a Lyman 66 unit, which, yes, requires the dreaded drill and tap on the side. Wasn't hard to do and positions the sight far enough forward to avoid interference with either the safety or the hammer. Since the rear sight doesn't have to clear the mounting on the top, it can be that much lower as can the front sight. Lyman sights have a pushbutton that lets the user pull the whole slider off, if desired, and also has a setscrew stop so it can be replaced with no lose of zero. I've got a Redfield unit on another rifle, I prefer the Lyman, myself. Downside is the price has about doubled since I bought mine.

Stan S.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
I've got a Williams on my FG, much like 5Wire's... it does not need the extension and works quite well.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I've been thinking about a FP for Mrs Willy's 1894C. It's a '82 vintage and the side of the reciever is drilled and tapped for a reciever sight. No CBS to get in the way either.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
I haven't tried the FP sight but I didn't care for the looks of it hanging off the side anyway so, I tried the Williams WRGS top mount on my 1894. I had to turn it around and set the aperture to the front but it still looked good, just different. I did have a problem with running out of adjustment with my factory front and I could have went with a taller front sight but, I decided to go with the Skinner Lo Profile and I like it much better and still used my factory front sight. It looks much cleaner and like it was suppose to be there.

I mounted a WRGS on my Henry 22lr. and it worked great and it was made with the 3/8 dove tail mount so it was low enough to work with my front sight. Williams makes a good sight for the price but sometimes fitting is tricky or the looks aren't what I like.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I was looking at the FP over at Midway earlier and Mrs Willy caught me. She wants one so it looks like a done deal.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have an FP on my 1894C. In order to give better hammer clearance, I had one more hole drilled and tapped and used the forward hole of the rear pair of scope mount holes.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Lucas McCain said:
I have an FP on my 1894C. In order to give better hammer clearance, I had one more hole drilled and tapped and used the forward hole of the rear pair of scope mount holes.
Now thats a good idea!

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
I have a set of XS sights on my 44, front and rear, they are pricey, but excellent sights. DP

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
FredT said:
Any consideration on a tang sight?
I keep thinking about one, may try one out on my Henry 22 first. Wish Skinner would make one, I really like their products!

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I put a Marbles tang sight on my 22 and love it. The 1894C has it's serial number on the upper tang, so that shot the idea of a tang sight for it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
FredT said:
Any consideration on a tang sight?

My first Cowboy rifle had a LYMAN tang sight mounted on it. It's ok, but a MARBLES has windage and elevation. Not a big thing if you're a "set it and forget it" shooter. I really prefer the LYMAN 66...an all steel version if I can find one. The aluminum parts don't do much for me. I have installed WILLIAMS 5-D models on the "loaner" rifles...you can get them relatively cheap on eBay.

The receiver sight really helps with practical accuracy. I consider it as fast to acquire as a scope and not near as bulky. My preferred front sight is a LYMAN 17...pick an insert you like and install the yellow shader also. I live in a wooded area and the yellow really shows up in dim light or shady areas. The Merit adjustable aperture (from BROWNELLS) is on my "to do list."

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a FP on my early 90s 1894cl 32-20 and it looks different and mounts at least 3/4 in. further forward than the one in the photo, plenty enough far from the hammer. The rearmost scope hole screw is visible and I know that no extra holes were drilled. Wish I could figure the part number, ordered it in a set with a Firesight front ( way too short, using OE front ). I got a Merit adjustable aperture for it and recommend it highly for variable light levels, adjusts in a jiffy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts