Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about using a peep sight (Williams FP) on my 39 Mountie. Does anybody know if I will have to replace my front sight for one that is taller. My existing front sight is factory ramp with a dovetail sight. From what people say, peep sights are much more accurate than standard open sights and I am very curious to try one and see. Any suggestions will help. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The factory front is adequate with the Williams 5-D 39-A, with no change required. Personally, I've found a beadless plain blade easier to use than the gold bead supplied by the factory. Some people find the 3/32" bead on the factory sight a little too big. Marble's sells a 1/16" front bead that is better suited to rimfire shooting. I'm not sure on the FP though- I've never tried it.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'm using the FP on my '56 39A Mountie with the factory front. Works but a smaller bead or sourdough (best yet) would be an improvement.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use the Lyman aperature and like it. I have used the factory bead i combo with success.

Do you guys squeeze the factory site together or something after removing the bead? Do you paint it then or something?

Thanks,

Rex

PS. If someone is interested, I have the Lyman 17A target globe front site with the extra Shavers inserts that I would sell at a reasonable rate. It is awesome for target shooting in conjuction with a peep site.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts