Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I want to put a peep sight on my new 1894SS. Any recomendations? I am thinking I want a top mounted peep so the gun will not need to be drilled and I can use the existing holes. I'd also like to be able to keep the factory front sight too if I can.
I kind of like the looks of the skinners and I have a top mounted williams on my guide gun, any other thougths would be appreciated....

·
Registered
871 Posts
Re: peep sight questions...

I have a Skinner on my GG. Great sight and great customer service. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
233 Posts

I have a Skinner on my 1894c,had to change the front sight too.
Sorry I waited so long to do it!
Dave

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

I put a Skinner Express on my 1894. It would be hard to beat. I have a Williams on my 1895, however these are drilled just right to be wrong on a 1894. They would fit but would hang out over the rear of the action. Enough I think that you would try and thumb the sight rather than the hammer, and hang on things enough to be a bother. The standard Skinner is cheaper, but I like the lines of the Express better. The Williams is an alloy and the Skinner is steel. I've found it very easy to ding the Williams enough to remove the finish. All in all, Skinner is the way to go...Steve.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Guys,
The skinner sights look nice and of good quality.

Next questions... I have a SS rifle and am wondering going SS would be what to do or Blued so the peep matches the front sight in finish??

Also I am guessing you need a taller front sight?

Anyone got pics of their skinner sights on SS rifles?

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts

If you go with the Skinner there are a couple of things you may want to think about. I had a skinner on my 1894 that used one of the rear pairs of receiver mounting holes and one of the front pairs. This is the regular 1894 model. Then I decided I wanted to have both a scout scope and a peep and the XS scout mount rail needs the front pair of screws so the Skinner had to go. In talking with Parsons he said the 1895 Skinner will fit on the 94 and only uses the rear pair of holes so that is something to consider. I like using the scope at the range, but take it off for anything else and have just the peep. Also you will likely need a taller front sight as mine did. I had to get a taller blade style from Skinner and file it down till it was just right.

·
Registered
165 Posts

I put a WilliamsFP336 on my 1894C (96000XXX, 2004). The stock Marlin front sight was too short, but the taller Williams Fire sight that came with the kit is just right (except the hood makes things a bit cramped, the hood stays off). The Williams literature says a thumb extension is needed. I found it unnecessary. The Hammer block safety is almost occluded, but not quite. The Williams requires two different size screwdrivers to adjust and secure windage and elevation.

·
Registered
32 Posts

mattusmc said:
Guys,
The skinner sights look nice and of good quality.

Next questions... I have a SS rifle and am wondering going SS would be what to do or Blued so the peep matches the front sight in finish??

Also I am guessing you need a taller front sight?

Anyone got pics of their skinner sights on SS rifles?
I used to have skinners on my CSS, and between SS and Blued, I preferred the blued. It seemed to match better with the blue buckhorn in the rear dovetail and the blue front sights. However, if you do get a stainless skinner, I would recommend you request a blue aperture ring since this can function as a 'ghost ring' sight if the aperture is removed. Honestly, skinners are hard to beat. They're extremely durable and they match the aesthetics of the rifle well. One downside to the skinners, however, is their adjustability (or lack thereof). You can only adjust them vertically by a 1/2 turn of the aperture ring at a time, and this correlates to about an inch and a half at 100 yards (If I remember correctly). So, if your current load is .75 inch above or below point of aim, your only option (if you care enough to zero it in completely) is to change the height of the front sight. Also, there aren't really that many turns to play with to begin with. The difference in some loads of .357 in my rifle was the difference between the sight completely bottomed out and the sight almost falling out. Oh, and to answer your question, you will probably need to get a new front sight - the table that is on the skinner website matched the point of aim of my rifle pretty well.

Since I shoot several different loads out of my rifle, I eventually pulled off the skinner and replaced it with a Williams (FP336). It has tons of adjustability in all directions, and its smallest increments are probably less than a quarter of an inch at 100 yards (enough where it is difficult for me to tell the difference between one click). It does, however, hang off the end of the receiver, though I suppose you could use the front two mounting screws instead if it bothers you (it only barely interferes with cocking anyway). And also, it is not nearly as solidly built as a skinner - I wouldn't want to keep it on a 'truck gun' for this reason, I'm afraid it would not only lose some finish, but I would be surprised if it would hold point of aim after a few bumps. Also, the williams I bought came with two firesight front sights but, after realizing that the red 'dot' covers approximately a 9 inch in diameter circle at 100 yards, I promptly removed it and replaced it with a blade from skinner.

Ultimately, if you're going to be shooting one load (or a few loads that have the same point of impact) out of your gun, I would recommend a skinner between the two, just be prepared to have to grind down your front sight.

Wow. Sorry for rambling. I think I have some pictures of my skinners on my CSS on my work laptop, I will try to dig them up and get them posted.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

I have a Skinner on my 1894C and I am very pleased with it. I did not have to change the front sight.

I got it with an .090" opening and it works well. Accuracy is better than what I was getting with the standard buckhorn sight. It works well in fairly low light. I recommend it.

I also have a Browning BL-22 and I put a Williams peep on that. I did have to change the front sight on this gun.... so I bought one from Skinner.

M

·
Registered
3,887 Posts

I just installed a Skinner Express on my 1894C Cowboy Ltd. All I had to do was tighten down the
two screws and I was in business. It was hard to believe that the rifle was dead on with the factory
front sight for my loads and distances. I did not have to adjust anything.

I requested a .125 aperture, which for me is a good all around size.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Just put a Skinner express on my 357 1894 and it's a great improvement over the buckhorns. Still pondering a front sight change but there is no hurry cause the 44 mag 1894 just arrived yesterday. ;D

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I was hoping not to have to change the front sight but it sounds like most likely I will have too. I do like the looks ove the skinners. I am just not sure if I want the original or the express. Good think I'm in no hurry....

·
Registered
9,496 Posts

G'day Matt. The Skinner works perfectly on my 1894s with the factory front,( sans hood) sight.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts

mattusmc said:
I was hoping not to have to change the front sight but it sounds like most likely I will have too. I do like the looks ove the skinners. I am just not sure if I want the original or the express. Good think I'm in no hurry....
Matt,

I have an express on my .44 mag and a regular on my .357. Both are great for my purposes. Not to argue with anyone who has way more experience than me on sighting in peeps, but before I start filing down any sights I would talk to Andy at Skinner Sights (Parson on this site).

John

·
Registered
3,037 Posts

I seem to need a taller front sight with my Williams aperture sights. :eek:

If you want a post type front sight, get a Skinner. If you want a bead type front site, get a Marbles.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts

I put the Skinner peep on my 1894CB 45LC & am a happy camper. The gun shot dead on with the buckhorn sight but I wanted a peep sight. I left the buckhorn sight on & mounted the Skinner Peep. When I looked through the peep sight, all I had to do was raise the peep 1 full turn up, & everything was in line. The gun was dead nuts on so I removed the buckhorn sight put in a dovetail filler. I did not have to install a taller front sight.

I think the Skinner sight looks a lot better on a Marlin then a Williams peep sight does.444

·
Registered
233 Posts

When I changed my front sight on my 1894c I went with the Sourdough
from Skinner.Love it!
Dave

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I think I made a deal with one of our members to buy a skinner stainless sight he no longer uses. Like this one http://www.skinnersights.com/images/IMG_3332.JPG?657

I am looking forward to trying it out on my rifle. I'll post an update once I have it installed.
Thanks again for all the replys...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts