Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find a pistol cartridge rifle for Lever Action Silhouette in .357. I was hoping to buy a Rossi with a 24" barrel but I can not find one anywhere. Marlin cowboys are hard to find and are usually overpriced when I find one soooo I have been looking at a Henry Big Boy with a 20" barrel. My question is does anybody know of a good adjustable peep sight that will fit on a Henry.

·
Premium Member
4,633 Posts
I have a skinner peep on a Henry 45 colt carbine. Not super adjustable, but it can be adjusted. It's in the same dovetail that the rear sight was in, which makes it a bit far from my old eyes to adjust to. Thinking about putting the original sight back in actually.

Reactions: Lever Jac

·
Read Only
1,036 Posts
I have been trying to find a pistol cartridge rifle for Lever Action Silhouette in .357. I was hoping to buy a Rossi with a 24" barrel but I can not find one anywhere. Marlin cowboys are hard to find and are usually overpriced when I find one soooo I have been looking at a Henry Big Boy with a 20" barrel. My question is does anybody know of a good adjustable peep sight that will fit on a Henry.
Jac,

For your intended use, I would suggest a sight that is easy to adjust. The Big Boy is D&T on the top. I would wager that Williams has one that will fit. I would suggest the Fool Proof with target knobs. The vertical adjustment is longer and more clicks per revolution for smaller increments per click.

Take a look at Buffalo Arms. They usually have a very wide selection. They also have the Fool Proof thumb screw target knob you can use for quick release and retighten of the elevation lock screw. You will need to cut, file, or belt sand it shorter.

If you can't find one at Buffalo Arms you can call and speak to Williams direct to find out if they have one. I have purchased a few over the years direct from Williams.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jac,

For your intended use, I would suggest a sight that is easy to adjust. The Big Boy is D&T on the top. I would wager that Williams has one that will fit. I would suggest the Fool Proof with target knobs. The vertical adjustment is longer and more clicks per revolution for smaller increments per click.

Take a look at Buffalo Arms. They usually have a very wide selection. They also have the Fool Proof thumb screw target knob you can use for quick release and retighten of the elevation lock screw. You will need to cut, file, or belt sand it shorter.

If you can't find one at Buffalo Arms you can call and speak to Williams direct to find out if they have one. I have purchased a few over the years direct from Williams.
Looks like if I want an easy adjustable sight I will have to go with a Williams that fits on a Weaver base. I am thinking of a weaver split base and only using the back portion. That set up will look tacky but will probably get the job done.

·
Registered
987 Posts
A Williuams 336 receiver sight will fit a BBS with a bit of hang over the hammer.
If that bothers you mount the sight backwards.
Did that for my BBB in 357 and never noticed the difference.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Nothing wrong with Skinner or RPP sights. As set it and forget it sights, they are unobtrusive and sturdy.
But LJ is looking for easy and repeatable sight changes.
Targets are at 50, 100, 150 and 200 meters. When called to the line shooters have only 30 seconds to change settings and load, and then get off their 5 shots in 2 1/2 minutes.

·
Registered
987 Posts
One can figure out the MOA adjustment for Williams receiver sights.
Measure the sight radius.
Plug the sight radius into an online MOA calculater.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.indecorous.com/bullseye/moacalc.html&ved=2ahUKEwiOt-nIxIvoAhXOIDQIHX95C-QQFjAGegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw0AWZYR1oQEPZyMqvfl_cKj

Use 1/2 inch as the hight.
Divide that number by 20 to give you the MOA per line or one turn of the target knob.
Divide that by 20 and that will give you the MOA per click.

The 24" to 26" rum 6-7 clicks per MOA.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've posted this before on other forums.

The Williams WGRS 336 works very well with the windage slider reversed and the sight mounted in reverse so it does not hang off the rear of the receiver.

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am not a fan of the RPP aperture design, and I don't care for the ones that re-use the factory rear sight dovetail on the barrel. I would go with a Skinner sight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts