Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about removing the scope and going to a Skinner peep sight. Any advice on options, I see there are also other sights available such as XS ghost ring sights? What is available out there and will I have to change my front sight post if I go with peep sights?

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
It you get the XS ghost ring and rail setup, you can use your scope, too.
I have quick mount rings and can pop the scope on or off in about 30 seconds.
Not sure about using the existing front bead because I swapped it out with the wide white ramp that came with it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the XS Ghost Ring Sights and Scout Scope Rail on my Marlin 1894C and love it. I use the scout scope to develop loads. with XS Sights comes with Ghost Ring and White outline front sights. The white outline front sight stands out and very visible shooting in dim light. I love shooting with the Ghost Ring sights. Fast and easy to get on target.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
ATF_1894_Day.jpg
Here's mine.
You can also mount a scope at the standard eye relief position.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I use the original sights that came on my 1894c, 2009 birthdate. Works just fine for my hunting needs. Anything out to 100 yards I can handle. I do better with the original sights on my M1 Carbine, getting groups the size of my fist on a target at 200.

On the other hand I have a cheap Barska on my All-Weather 10/22 and a cheap Simmons on my 1980s walnut/blued 10/22 and I can't qualify at Appleseed with them. Of course, that might be a function of the Remington Golden Bullet ammo I used in the 10/22s.

I have a genuine original K-Mart Scope on my 336 and I can get groups I can cover with my fist out at 100 yards (never had a chance to shoot longer distances with it) using PPU ammo.

My advice? Just leave it alone. :beer:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Check out midway usa to see what they offer in peep sights for the 1894, I went with a Willians FP, and a Lyman front globe 17a.. I would suggest to buy a front sight one step higher than your current sight just in case you need it, they are cheap from marbles or other similar manufactures... the globe sights are a little more expensive, but sure make a difference for shooting.

Hope this helps I have posted pictures of my 1894c with peeps in several threads you can search for peep sights... I will flaunt it again, but remember I'm be forced to :captain:

IMG_1363.JPG IMG_1365.JPG IMG_1366.JPG IMG_1367.JPG

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
I use an XS rear peep and a Skinner skinny blade front. Excellent sight picture. I had to file the blade down a little to bring POI where I wanted it. A Q-tip with cold blue finished the job.

Rob

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
A Williams 94/36 (attaches to the side of the receiver) should work fine with the factory front sight. Have used it on several 1894s, no problem. A Skinner or XS will sit higher on the receiver than that model of Williams, so will usually require a higher front sight. Individual guns can vary, though, so can't say 100% of the time which sight will or won't work.

As for me, even when using the FP 94/36, I usually replace the factory front, anyway. Not a fan of the factory bead.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Seems all been said.. Just to add I run a Skinner rear sight on my 1894c, mostly without inserts as a ghost, factory front sight and works fine.. Out to 50 anyway. I shoot it at 100 but use an insert for added accuracy..

Reactions: rclint

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have both Skinner and XS.Both are quality but I like the XS front sight a tad more.OB
Me too! The XS front sight stands out more to me. My co-worker has a Henry Steel Boy with the Skinner sights and he painted front sight with paint pen. He said the XS front sight stood out better then his.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Irons.... Dont fog up, battery never an issue, scratch proof, fov at 100yds: the horizon, true 1:1 magnification.... What I say, whats not to like?

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
Skinner on my 44 mag. Simple, sleek and bulletproof.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts