Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Williams fire sight set came today in the mail, im taking my scope off to give the peep a try. And before y'all blow blow gasket pics will be up when I get home from work and switch things over. Question is how many of you take the aperture out and run a ghost ring set up and why? Thanks guys
Jesse

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have several Williams and use the aperture on all. Better accuracy in my mind, but thats just me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never shot a rifle with peep sights, so just looking for peoples opinion and why. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Aperture size is low light vs light for me. I can take out and put in a insert and have the same Point of aim. Just my .02 cents

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
You will be looking for a place to store that peep/aperture when its removed... Please check out our Aperture Storage Dovetail Slot Blank on our APERTURE page at Marlin peep sights

Andy

Reactions: Jonny V

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
I am new to peeps myself but have recently bought three rifles with peep sights. I have been shooting with them and find that they work great for me. I can shoot either way. I think for target shooting the aperture is going to give a closer group. I like shooting without it because I can pick up the target faster and still shoot accurate. I think hunting I will not use the aperture , but again I am still very new to peeps and learning myself so try it both ways and see what you like the best.

·
Registered
163 Posts
In the classic "Shots At Whitetails" (1970 edition), and arguably the greatest book ever written about whitetail deer hunting, Chapter 14/Sights-Open, Peep, and Scope, Larry Koller has an entire section dealing with peep vs. open sights, including references to how the use of a small aperture or a large aperture makes very little if any difference in potential accuracy. But to your point, I defer to the master…."If you find that the use of the peep disk, even with large aperture, seems to slow down your sighting, don't hesitate to remove the disk and the stem hole only for sighting. This might seem to be a very wide peep hole at first glance, but rest assured that very accurate shooting, and the very fastest shooting, can be done with the peephole only, without disk." The paragraph continues " The peep outline will seem fuzzy and indistinct…..but if you look through this ring, not at it, and hold your front sight on the target, you'll do a good job of hitting your game." I have shot enough high power rifle competition with AR15s and M1 Garands to know that a large peep will not effect accuracy and gives you a brighter image. Have fun.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a ton guys. To switch thw front sight does it need to slide out to the left or right? Or does it matter?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And is there anything special i need to door be aware of when I change it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
In the classic "Shots At Whitetails" (1970 edition), and arguably the greatest book ever written about whitetail deer hunting, Chapter 14/Sights-Open, Peep, and Scope, Larry Koller has an entire section dealing with peep vs. open sights, including references to how the use of a small aperture or a large aperture makes very little if any difference in potential accuracy. But to your point, I defer to the master…."If you find that the use of the peep disk, even with large aperture, seems to slow down your sighting, don't hesitate to remove the disk and the stem hole only for sighting. This might seem to be a very wide peep hole at first glance, but rest assured that very accurate shooting, and the very fastest shooting, can be done with the peephole only, without disk." The paragraph continues " The peep outline will seem fuzzy and indistinct…..but if you look through this ring, not at it, and hold your front sight on the target, you'll do a good job of hitting your game." I have shot enough high power rifle competition with AR15s and M1 Garands to know that a large peep will not effect accuracy and gives you a brighter image. Have fun.
I agree, it's all about the speed and low light conditions, thats why I like Ghost rings hunting in the north east where it gets dark quick fairly quickly and the deer show up and disappear very fast and usually well within 100 yards.But at the range on a sunny day the peeps are more focused for target practice and plinking. My XS (my fav) sight isn't even threaded for peep disks, although you can order them that way.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Thanks a ton guys. To switch thw front sight does it need to slide out to the left or right? Or does it matter?
Front sight is removed to the right from the shooters viewpoint..............yes, it matters.

Reactions: Jonny V and jesse82

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im just taking my boy to floor hockey then the transformation begins. Pics this evening.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Remove dovetailed sights to the right, as you are looking down range. Neither the rifle nor the sights are tapered, but if you drive them in (from the right), the leading edge gets compressed more than the trailing edge. Most of the holding power derives from the trailing edge. It is customary to file the sights on the left so that you can insert them about half way by hand. To that extent, they are tapered, or at least beveled on the leading edge.

I don't care to remove the insert. Having a larger aperture doesn't affect the accuracy much, but I find the thin shell hard to see. When using Skinner sights, I use the .040" aperture on the receiver, but have replaced some with a .125" aperture, like used on the barrel mounted Skinners. I would probably use a smaller front bead and aperture for long range shooting with a .45-70 (or M1A).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well here she is before
uploadfromtaptalk1401152530893.jpg
And after
uploadfromtaptalk1401152559798.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1401152577524.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1401152596436.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1401152678225.jpg

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And a couple more. . . Isnt she a beauty
uploadfromtaptalk1401152958208.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1401152973931.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1401152987334.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1401153001565.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1401153036239.jpg

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Range report hopefully Wednesday or Thursday. I coach my sons tball team tomorrow if its not raining then do some reloading so I can go to the range the next day after work. Oh man I cant wait. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use skinner peep sights and carry my extra rings on dog tags type chain and carry as needed. last fall I dropped dead a doe at 88 yards with my Henry 357 cast 158 gr. Did find it very hard at that range to find the Deer in the woods with the peep sight. Brown deer in brown fall woods. But once I found my target. Hit where I aimed at.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts