Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a marlin cowboy 45/70 i would like to know which sight would be better i like to target practice n hunt any suggestions i have a lyman #2 tang sight but i heard some stories about tang sights on big bore rifles so i dont know which site to use any suggestions out there
thank you
gary

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would recommend the Lyman reciever sight. It has click-adjustable windage and elevation, with coin-slotted adjustments. The Williams FP is also a good one. I like the looks of the tang sights, but they get in the way of my grip when mounted on a Marlin or winchester. Also the Lyman tang doesn't have windage adjustment, you have to shim the base or drift the front sight.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Gary,

I don't know if you have seen over on the Big Bore forum where I asked the same question that you just asked here but there is a ton of good info the guys posted over there.

I just got my Williams FP receiver sight today. It does indeed use the two rear scope mount screws to mount to the receiver so it is super easy to install. I have only barely used it (25 rounds) but I can already tell that I REALLY like it.

I had wasted over $100 on a Marbles tang sight. Marbles are SUPER quality sights but I honestly disliked the one they make for the 1895 Cowboy and because of the long bolt throw of that action the sight has to be mounted so far rearward that it totally fouls up a proper grip along with having sharp edges that make for nice scatches on your nose when the recoil shoves the rifle backward. For all the other Marlin models I think Marbles tang sights are VERY NICE and also for Winchester 1894's but I would definitely stay away from them for the 1895.

Hope this helps, its sure nice and cheaper to learn from other peoples mistakes and experiences.

Geoff

·
Registered
111 Posts
gary said:
i have a marlin cowboy 45/70 i would like to know which sight would be better i like to target practice n hunt any suggestions i have a lyman #2 tang sight but i heard some stories about tang sights on big bore rifles so i dont know which site to use any suggestions out there
thank you
gary
You don't say if you are going to be playing the silly "Cowboy Games". If you are, unfortunately the tang-type sights are the only ones that meet the silly rules. If you aren't, then the Lyman or Williams sights are much safer on a heavy recoiling rifle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
gary said:
no silly cowboy games just plinking n hunting bear
Gary, the Williams 5D will probably serve your purpose. If you want "click" adjustments, then go with the Williams Foolproof or the Lyman. If your rifle doesn't have the two sight mounting holes on the left rear of the receiver, you are stuck with the new-style Williams sights that attach in the two rear scope base holes or having the receiver drilled and tapped for the old style sights. Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok that what i would be looking for because the marlin 1895 cowboy doesnt come with side mounts screws like they did before on the recever i will look at those sights you memtion but how ever i do have a 66la lyman comming but that could go on my other lever action lol

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I got the .191 AO (XO?) Ghost Ring and a HiViz front sight. I also have a Leupold and AO scout mount. I like the Ring well enough that I might hunt with it this year instead of the Scout Scope. At around 100yd, I can't tell the difference between the scope and the ring.....but quite a few, I should imagine, shoot better than I do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts