Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was over in the next town down the road today for some business and I figured since I was there I'd check out the local pawn shops for anything interesting. They had this one sitting up on the top of the rifle rack by itself.

(sorry for only 1 picture, my camera bit the dust right after this one)

Its a waffle top 336A in 32 Special w/ 24" barrel, serial number starts with H. I looked in the reference section and dated it to 1951, making it officially the oldest Marlin I own. I was originally hoping to find a nice used 30-30 or maybe a 35 Remington, certainly wasn't expecting to find this. I've wanted a 32 Special for a while but they're rare enough that I'd pretty much given up on finding one, especially here in Oklahoma, so I just about jumped when the lady behind the counter pointed to it and said it was in 32 Win Special. I looked at a couple of Winchesters but I knew this one was coming home with me.

Its in pretty good condition considering its age. Had a little bit of freckling on the trigger guard plate and the bottom of the lever and a touch on the receiver, but very little blueing wear. No major scratches or gouges and everything functions smoothly - even the filler screws for the sight mount holes on the side are still there. Whoever had it took pretty good care of it. I'll try to get some better pictures once I either get my camera working again or find my other digital camera.

*** EDIT 2/18 - More pics added in post #24 ***

·
Registered
595 Posts
great find.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Have a 49 that resembles that. Good find, now you will feel "Special" whenever you want.

Note that under that buttstock you will find two notches to put the mainspring retainer in.

You don't have a trigger block safety.

No Marlin flop you also have a one piece trigger.

Now you need a vintage Peep sight. ;D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Okay Okay....I'll be the one to ask as I bet there are lots of us that want to know......how much did you get this jewel for? I have been looking also and haven't run into one yet.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Lovely, absolutely lovely!! Glad to hear you had no reservations about laying down the pesos on the spot (good decision), and we won't be chiding you for letting it slip through your hands while you "thought it over"! I'd bet it wouldn't have lasted long up there on the used rack all by itself! ;D

I think this is a sign of Spring!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
happypappy said:
Okay Okay....I'll be the one to ask as I bet there are lots of us that want to know......how much did you get this jewel for? I have been looking also and haven't run into one yet.
Well, I'm ashamed to say that I didn't have the nerve to drive too hard a bargain on this one. It was tagged $479 - I got them down to $450 but they wouldn't go any lower and there was no way I was going to walk away from this one. If it had been a 30-30 or 35 Rem I probably would have left it at that price, but I've also been around long enough to know that if I let this one go I'd probably spend the next several years kicking myself for not picking it up and then spend even more later on when I finally found another one. So, not the best bargain but its worth the price to me.

I certainly do feel "special" now! Gotta get some dies and components and start working up a load for it.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Congrats on a really fine old rifle that's so very pretty. They really made them back then. I have a waffle top A in .35 Remington from 1951.

I looked around here for the longest time for a .32 Special and couldn't find a one. So, I finally had to check out Gun Broker to find my SC.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
OK, I hate you. I want a 32 Spc for absolutely no logical reason whatsoever - other than I just want one... And I drug my feet cpl of yrs ago on a Win 94 at a great price and then it was gone...

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Very nice. I want a 32 special bad! :)

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Mines not a waffle top , R.C. ("K" '53) but it does have the Ballard barrel, and it's not in near as good shape as yours! VERY NICE!

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
oscarflytyer said:
OK, I hate you. I want a 32 Spc for absolutely no logical reason whatsoever - other than I just want one... And I drug my feet cpl of yrs ago on a Win 94 at a great price and then it was gone...
cody77 said:
Very nice. I want a 32 special bad! :)
I wanted one for the very logical reason that someone had given me a free set of loading dies for it. I accepted the loading dies because I really wanted a .32 Special, and I wanted it bad too, and it gave me an excuse to go looking for one, because I already had the dies. It's a circle of logic. Devious, ain't I?

I suggest Gun Broker as a place to look. Like I said, that's where I found mine.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
I have a 336A from 1951. Nice gun but previous owner had it drilled and tapped. Yours looks very nice and you were smart to buy it when you saw it.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Brian in FL said:
I wanted one for the very logical reason that someone had given me a free set of loading dies for it. I accepted the loading dies because I really wanted a .32 Special, and I wanted it bad too, and it gave me an excuse to go looking for one, because I already had the dies. It's a circle of logic. Devious, ain't I?

I suggest Gun Broker as a place to look. Like I said, that's where I found mine.
Anybody have a "free" set of 35 Remington dies? Following Brian's example above - this would be where I head next.......... 336D ;) :D ;D

BTW Anachronism, very nice find! Congrats......

·
Registered
227 Posts
Brian's way of thinking makes a lot of sense to me. I just recently found myself doing something similar. I am looking for a 22lr handgun, and can't seem to make up my mind which kind to get. The EAA Bounty Hunter started to look really attractive to me partly because it includes a 22mag cylinder along with the 22lr cylinder. I thought--well heck, it's almost like getting two guns for the price of one! Started looking to buy one. As it happens, I don't have any other guns in 22mag. Before I knew it, I was shopping for an 1984 in 22mag. Hey, if I'm gonna buy ammo to use in the revolver, I might as well get a nice companion rifle! And just think of all the useful stuff I can do with a 22mag rifle!

Sigh. I can hardly afford to buy the handgun, though I have some legitimate needs for it. And here I am, shopping for a rifle to go along with it. I've actually half given up on the EAA because I don't need that constant chatter at the back of my mind "hey, keep your eyes open for a nice 22mag rifle." ::)

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
biggog said:
I have a 336A from 1951. Nice gun but previous owner had it drilled and tapped. Yours looks very nice and you were smart to buy it when you saw it.
I, too, have a 1951 336A .35 Rem and was told by the seller who inherited his uncle's immense gun collection, that his uncle sent this one back to the factory to be D&T'd. He also said there was only a magazine full of rounds fired through it. It looks brand new and pretty cool with a vintage K4 scope and vintage Weaver rings on it. I found this rifle on Gunbroker and it was a very good buy at $480 in Jan '10.

Congratulations on your '32 Special. I think you got a fine rifle and I especially like the finish back in the good 'ole days. I had a feeling Swany would like this :).

bjm

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Is there any way to tell if my 1951 was sent back to the factory to be D&T? Did they put a stamp on it or just paper work?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Brian in FL said:

Congrats on the great find!!

Brian, you're not the only one. A friend of mine wants a 1894 cowboy with the octagon barrel so bad that he's already bought the .45 colt reloading dies.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
biggog said:
Is there any way to tell if my 1951 was sent back to the factory to be D&T? Did they put a stamp on it or just paper work?
The guy I bought mine from said his uncle told him he has sent it back to the factory. He said his uncle had sent quite a few guns back to Colt, Marlin, etc to have extra work done. Whether it was an accurate story, I do not know for sure.

bjm

1 - 20 of 37 Posts