Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've beeen checking the pawn shops in my area for a few months now and come across some nice Marlin 336s in different models at great prices ($275 to $350) but all have mostly issues with the wood. I find rifles with good bluing but the wood is all scratched up or dented. I could go out tomorrow and buy 1/2 dozen of these but would have to refinish the wood on them and from what I've gathered here on this site the refinishing would ruin the value. What say ye !

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd like directions to those pawn shops! ;-)

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Refinishing the wood is not going to hurt the value of a $300. rifle. You are not dealing with highly collectible guns that are going to be worth thousands of dollars. If you find the gun that Gen. Grant carried in the Civil War, then no I would not refinish the wood.
What he said.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Rifles in that price range with good metal, will only increase in value with good wood. IMHO.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've beeen checking the pawn shops in my area for a few months now and come across some nice Marlin 336s in different models at great prices ($275 to $350) but all have mostly issues with the wood. I find rifles with good bluing but the wood is all scratched up or dented. I could go out tomorrow and buy 1/2 dozen of these but would have to refinish the wood on them and from what I've gathered here on this site the refinishing would ruin the value. What say ye !
are you gonna shoot it, or look at it ??? that is the question at hand here..

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I've been bitten by the bug or caught the Marlinitis virus. I find the different models interesting but don't think I want to become a big time collector. Iwouldn't mind spending some time refinishing the wood and then selling them foe what I have in them but don't want to wind up with a bunch of rifles that I can't sell. This would be just a hobby and something to enjoy. I've been a building remodeling contractor most of my life and have always appreciated nice wood work. I may go back and look at the one with the walnut wood and see if I can make a deal on it for now. I appereciate the advice and info you guy's give.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
The value on a used Marlin will keep going up. I prefer the pre CBS Marlins, but I scooped up a 94 model 336 for $250 this week, it's worth more than that already. So anytime you can get a deal on a Marlin, pull the trigger!!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I guess I've been bitten by the bug or caught the Marlinitis virus. I find the different models interesting but don't think I want to become a big time collector. Iwouldn't mind spending some time refinishing the wood and then selling them foe what I have in them but don't want to wind up with a bunch of rifles that I can't sell. This would be just a hobby and something to enjoy. I've been a building remodeling contractor most of my life and have always appreciated nice wood work. I may go back and look at the one with the walnut wood and see if I can make a deal on it for now. I appereciate the advice and info you guy's give.
refinishing the wood is like putting fresh green paint on an old JD 40 AV.. all depends on the who wants it bad enough when it comes to selling it..

Gun Bicycle saddle Shotgun Revolver Trigger
String instrument Plucked string instruments Musical instrument Wood
do you know how old this is?? fresh body work through out..

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The value on a used Marlin will keep going up. I prefer the pre CBS Marlins, but I scooped up a 94 model 336 for $250 this week, it's worth more than that already. So anytime you can get a deal on a Marlin, pull the trigger!!
OK. I've got a couple in my sights.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Refinished as long as you don't under cut and make the wood smaller than the matching metal. Often even with a deep scratch the fore ends have enough wood.

Stripping a marshield gun, refinishing with say BLO making the walnut stand out enhances the value.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well I am glad to see your not hoarding Marlin's .......

I just wish pawn shops around me could sell long arms ...... I'll just scourer gun buy backs when they come around ........

·
Registered
672 Posts
Never been a fan of Marshield or whatever they called it anyway. You can sand, wool, finish wood. Pitted freckled metal, not so much!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
If they were for me, then the value would only matter to me, and I'd refinish 'em. $.02

·
Registered
3,383 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
If you get it, we'll need before and after pictures! :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.