Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this on layaway since the first of April, I picked it up today. Ruger LC9 .

They had just gotten it in when I was there in April. The person that pawn it, bought it from Cabela's for $360.00, 02/27/2014, the
receipt was still with the gun.

What you see is what came with the gun, I paid $300.00 for it. It doesn't look like it has ever been fired. Gun Airsoft gun Starting pistol Revolver Everyday carry

·
Super Moderator
13,981 Posts
I have never owned one but I know they are popular for people that want a pocket size carry gun. I have owned a Taurus slim 9 and still own a S&W Shield 9. They are both in the same category as the Ruger. Let us know how it shoots and how you like the trigger.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Ruger makes great pistols should be a great conceal carry gun!!!!

·
Banned
457 Posts
38 cal nice. I used to carry a Keltec38 for a CC for years. Trouble is that after 8-10 feet they lose accuracy

·
Registered
761 Posts
Congratulations on the LC9! I think you got a good deal.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took my LC9 out this afternoon and shot it, The trigger pull could be a little lighter, but it is acceptable.
The long trigger pull took a little getting use to, after a couple of magazine loads I knew how far to pull it back
and how much I had left before it broke.
At 10 yds I was able to put groups together in a 12'' circle. This is my first semi-auto pistol and bigger caliber than a 22lr.
I have shot a lot with a 22lr revolver, this one is going to take a little more practice to get good with it, so far I really like it
it going to make a good carry gun when I get my cwp.
The only thing I had a problem with is getting that 7th round into the magazine, the spring gets stronger the more shells you put in and is hard
for me to press down.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way JIC, but I consider that level of accuracy unacceptable, even in a "pocket-sized" pistol. I can't speak to the inherent accuracy of the LC9, but I have had plenty of experience with double action shooting and I do have a suggestion.

These compact striker-fired and DA-only autos seldom have a trigger pull that's conducive to staging (pulling the trigger back to just before sear release, refining the sight picture, then breaking the shot). The difficulty of a heavy, mushy, sometimes gritty, trigger pull, often with large amounts of overtravel, is compounded by the light weight of the pistol, making accurate fire by that method a tough proposition.

Instead, try a smooth, straight-to-the-rear pull, with no pause, no hesitation. For this method to be effective, a firm grip is needed to hold a small pistol steady against the weight of the pull that is often more than the weight of the gun itself. Some call it a crush grip, Ayoob calls it the "stressfire grip"...the bottom line is...this is no place for the light target shooting grip many have been taught. Don't be afraid to exert some force, you're not going to crush the gun (if you do, you don't need a gun for self defense anyhow). A very firm two handed grip, with thumbs turned down...your support hand putting isometric upward pressure against the downward force of the strong hand gives very good results for the vast majority of folks.

One other focus is necessary along with this firm two handed grip...the position of your index finger on the trigger. With compact pistols such as this, it's all too easy to get too much finger into the trigger guard, causing a push to the side as the trigger is pulled through it arc. It's vital to find a finger position that allows as straight a pull to the rear as possible. I prefer the middle of the pad of the finger...some prefer the first joint...it really doesn't matter as long as the end result is a straight through pull with little disturbance to the aim.

Experiment with your grip and finger position until you find the combination that works for you. Sounds like work, but all this can be accomplished through dry fire practice without an expenditure of ammo, further increasing your gun handling skills in the process. Once you feel you have the technique down, use live fire to confirm you're there.

Roe

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Barenjager, Roe, Thanks for the advice. I agree with you on the accuracy, but it was not the guns fault, but of the shooter me.

I have watched videos of people shooting this make and model of pistol with great accuracy.

Like I stated before this is my first semi-auto, it will take some practice to get good with it.

jic

ps I realize this is a compact pistol and the accuracy at longer range is going to suffer,but from 7-30 feet it should do the job

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.