Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a 1894 .357 in local pawn shop today. Previous owner let it rattle around behind seat of his truck for years. Missing some bluing few light rust spots but solid action and good bore just dirty. Took it home for $300 otd. Could some one tell me how old it is. Ser#20024xxx. She may not be very pretty and some may say I paid too much but I have been looking for over 4 years and she has a good home now. Oh yeah cleaned her up and she shoots great. Thanks. Cyclone64

·
Super Moderator
26,090 Posts
Your rifle was made in 1980 according to the serial number.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Great price even with a little blue missing and some rust. I agree it appears to be a 1980 rifle. To confirm, it should not have a cross-bolt safety which was added in 1983. Great caliber and no way did you overpay if it shoots well. Mine prefers 357 mag cases which I load anywhere from mild 38 Special loads up to fairly hot 357 Magnum loads. You will enjoy this one!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Found a 1894 .357 in local pawn shop today. Previous owner let it rattle around behind seat of his truck for years. Missing some bluing few light rust spots but solid action and good bore just dirty. Took it home for $300 otd. Could some one tell me how old it is. Ser#20024xxx. She may not be very pretty and some may say I paid too much but I have been looking for over 4 years and she has a good home now. Oh yeah cleaned her up and she shoots great. Thanks. Cyclone64
Cyclone64,

I'd pay $300 for a 1894 in .357 that'd been used primarily as a hammer.

In other words - You done real good.

By the way, we sure like to see PICS!!!

Regards,

B

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
I wouldn't take less than $950 for my 1980 1894 .357 Carbine!

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
At least you don't have to sweat getting that first scratch on her:biggrin: and you won't be posting should I shoot her or not threads because you already have :congrats: You have room to fix her up to your satisfaction and not be stuck with a high $ gun you can't get your money out of. I think prices will come down like the cost of AR clones in a few years when the JM stamp does not drive the cost of a Marlin. I would be tempted to give her that veteran trail drive look

·
Registered
924 Posts
Ya done stole it. I paid a bit over twice that the other day for a minty 1979, and I'm tickled to death. Mine shoots .38 or .357 just fine, I hope yours does too.

Ya done good.

Reactions: WV Mountaineer

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ret_Eng, Thanks so much I was hoping it was around the late 70's or early 80's it should be a good one. thanks , Yeah Valkman I have waited a long time for this one and just stumbled up on it. have been checking and calling every GS and Pawn shop in the state and then saw a local shop owner in Burger King and he sais he had just taken some out to put on self and to check them out so I did and it was there. Pine cone, nope no cross bolt safety and it shoots anything up put in it .357 or .38. bbri4570, I know what you mean at first I couldn't believe someone would treat it this way but then again I forget that sometimes some people just don't appreciate the beauty of a fine firearm. it has a good home now. Steve_In all my firearms are shooters even the S&W F-comp my wonderful wife bought me gets shot regularly, I like them like me with a little wear around the edges. I kind of like my k-frame S&W's 38/357 and j-frames, carried one too long in one of my former lives. 48vintage, I know what you mean my wife has already said she will bury me with it and my 66 so ........but my new grand son has first dibs., thanks everyone you have been a great help, that is why I like this forum so much don't post much but read everyday. now if I can just figure out how to post picture will put it up.

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Erimort, yeah I kind of felt like I did to, but the feeling passed when it was marked 339 and the shop owner said he could take no less than $300 cash. It was hard not to whip out the cash and start smiling like an idiot, but hey Christmas in June. colonel 26 not minty but she looks just fine to me, yep shoots anything I put in it. now only problem is I have to break out the reloader again, the wife say she wants to try it. The last time that happened my LNIB 19-2 moved from my side of the bed to hers and lives there now.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
The S&W 66 is one of my favorite guns and it should be a fine companion to your new find. I shoot mine well and it always goes off, former police duty gun. Thanks for the picture, it is much better than you described.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
661 Posts
Cyclone, I traded away a 1981 vintage .357 cal 1894 that would feed just about anything. Had to watch the OAL on SWC.
Was a very slick little rifle, wish I had it back.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
[QUOTE the wife say she wants to try it. The last time that happened my LNIB 19-2 moved from my side of the bed to hers and lives there now.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean!!! Lost a 336 like that.

Nice rifle you stole! VERY NICE!

Mop

·
Registered
924 Posts
Erimort, yeah I kind of felt like I did to, but the feeling passed when it was marked 339 and the shop owner said he could take no less than $300 cash. It was hard not to whip out the cash and start smiling like an idiot, but hey Christmas in June. colonel 26 not minty but she looks just fine to me, yep shoots anything I put in it. now only problem is I have to break out the reloader again, the wife say she wants to try it. The last time that happened my LNIB 19-2 moved from my side of the bed to hers and lives there now.
There's something quite sad about a minty old gun, be it a rifle or shotgun. Now I treat mine very good, no rust allowed, kept nice and clean, always wiped down when handled, etc..... But for an old gun to have no character, that's sad. There is a beauty to worn blueing, patina, scratched wood. It makes you wonder where the old gun has been, who it's been there with, and what memories it holds. Minty guns have none of that character, no stories to tell. That's sad in a way.

I have a S&W model 65. I'm thinking it and the 1894 are going to be real fun in the woods together!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,977 Posts
Thanks a lot Cyclone, you just made me drool all over my keyboard. If I had found that gun at that price I would have jumped and screamed so loud as soon as the deal was final it would have pissed off the seller.:biggrin:

·
Registered
287 Posts
It doesn't appear to have rattled around in the truck TOO much.
Yep, ya done good. Dang Fine. Good job on the rescue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.