Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back I made it to the local pawn shop and usually it's a walk in walk out deal because their used guns are higher than new. Occasionally they have beaters for really good prices and I stumbled into one.
This is a 1969 Remington Wingmaster with factory extended tube and a 20" barrel. Walnut furniture. The gun was in horrible condition. Filthy! The end of the barrel, receiver and slide bars had red rust on them and the wood was heavily scratched and gouged. But she cycled and the internals looked fine. The price was $60.00. Yea, I had a moral obligation at that point.

So she went home and I detail stripped her, hit the stocks with a palm sander and worked her down smooth, then 5 coats of BLO. All steel parts got a scrubbing with break free and steel wool and are still pitted but no longer rusty. Then I Oxpho Blued the steel back to a dull black color and reassembled. Here are some pics.
Thanks for looking.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394939691.934880.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394939718.267318.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394939738.917574.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394939754.067340.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394939769.750291.jpg

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Very nice save, Mike! How's the inside of the barrel? Have you shot it yet?

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She shoots and cycles just fine. The inside of the barrel is bright and shiny. Looks brand new. The action is very nice. Not glass smooth but better than most new express guns.

I have been seeing more and more of these guns and am at a loss to explain how a gun can be totally thrashed on the outside and look almost new on the inside.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Nice job on that shottie! Congrats on a good find (after some work on your part)!:biggrin: John

·
Premium Member
16,812 Posts
Hey Mike,

$60.00, for an 870? A little TLC?

You did very well!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nice resurrection Mike. :tee:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I hate to see any firearm get in the shape that one was in! That's sacrilege!! Good job on bringing it back to usable condition. Looked like someone left it in a boat when they got thru duck huntin.

·
Registered
20,306 Posts
Nice save!:tee:

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
nice restore... :congrats:

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Nice work on that 870. Always a good thing when you can save something like that from a scrap heap. It never ceases to amaze me how badly some people treat their guns.

Stu

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great price and nice restoration!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Great job saving her! :congrats:

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
If I'd have found that poor thing I'd have been forced to rescue it as well, I'm looking for another 12 gauge that I can abuse, the one I have that I'd modify has a poly-choke on it, and I've decided to leave it as-is.

You did a nice job of making it presentable without overdoing it. Perfect for a truck/canoe gun!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Nice job, That''s the way to rescue one.I love projects like that myself .

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Blessed is he who resurrects an 870!:congrats: I bought a Remington 870 12 gauge from a friend at work back in 1980. Had the plain 24" barrel on it with fixed modified choke and my research on it says it was made in 1956. I put a 20" barrel on it with the screw in choke system and rifle sights. The action was and still is like butter. Point the muzzle skyward and press the action opening button and it opens nearly half way. When I bought it, no TLC was required. The bluing was worn at the carry point on the receiver only.

I owned it 33 years before I took it all apart to clean the innards. To this day I don't know what kept the old girl shooting after all the debris I found inside! Sticks, leaves, grass, gunk, you name it I found it inside the receiver. It was like a timex watch though, she just kept on ticking. My 1979 rechambered 760 carbine in .358 Win was the same way when I tore that one down also.

358 Win

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
She shoots and cycles just fine. The inside of the barrel is bright and shiny. Looks brand new. The action is very nice. Not glass smooth but better than most new express guns.

I have been seeing more and more of these guns and am at a loss to explain how a gun can be totally thrashed on the outside and look almost new on the inside.
I once ran across an old police gun, it was a rough looking 870. I'd say some of them rode around in a trunk for years and were seldom shot. Nice Save!

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Nice job! I just bought A pawn shop 870 that is going to get some home defense mods. I thought the price was right at $275. Can't beat $60.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts