Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped by a local pawn shop yesterday and went to the gun racks. My heart skipped a beat when I spotted a 30TK and 336 Texan side by side on the rack. Upon closer inspection, my glee turned to disgust.

The 30TK was rusted pretty badly on the outside with rust evident on the crown. A closer inspection of the bore revealed that it was rusted pretty badly too (although the rifling still looked pretty sharp). Someone must have put it up wet and left it for years. Too bad, because that was one well balanced little rifle.

The 336 Texan was a late 1970s model that looked pretty good upon initial inspection. Upon closer inspection, the entire receiver and most of the barrel and magazine tube were freckled with light rust. Some indiot had screwed in a rear swivel stud at about 20 degree angle, and had obviously drilled through the bullseye in another attempt. The wood at the tang looked ever so slightly shrunken, but I could not tell if it had been refinished. The guy was willing to sell it for $200 out the door. I was tempted, but passed.

The good news was that I found 3 boxes of 30 Remington ammo lying in a dust covered corner.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
The texan with new wood from shum would have been ok if the surface rust would have cleaned up. the other.. I have run across a few like that and just keep walkin as you did..

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bman, this one was all the way up in Jasper. I live on the north end of town so it is about 20 minutes from me. There are two or three little shops up there. I cant remember the name of the shop, but it is on the main highway 78 through Jasper on the left past Wal Mart. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I think you did right by walking away. It would be nice to save the second gun, but not at that price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts