Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped in one of the local pawn shops today and spotted a well used Glenny in 30-30 and ask the guy if this was all he had in lever guns. Well he says I got one more in the back that's $500 if you want to see it and of course I said yes and bring it out here. So he comes out with a really nice 63 texan in 30-30. It had nice bluing with a few spots and stock had a few dings but was pretty nice for it's age. I ask what the cash otd price was and he said $500, I ask if he would take any less for cash and he said that was it ...$500. Well I said it's nice but I wouldn't go the 5 on it. He said it's a $750 gun. Now I'm getting a little aggravated. He said it was his birth year and if I didn't take it that it was going home with him at the end of the day. So I walked.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
D - That is my birth year rifle - it would have had to come home with me - you gonna be back by there anytime soon?
I doubt it. He said if it was still their the next day he would stand by his price with me but then he also said if it were there at the end of the day it was going home with him as it was his birth year. Why ? Do you want me to check on it for you.

·
Super Moderator
26,125 Posts
I got a '57 Texan in 35 Rem for 500 bucks--they are getting hard to find. A 30-30 Texan is much more common and isn't worth what he is asking.

Reactions: Desparodo

·
Registered
267 Posts
A buddy of my late brother-in-law had a Marlin Marauder in 35 Remington. Even 40 years ago, I understood the rarity of that specific configuration even if he didn't.

Since retirement and getting into cowboy action shooting, Mary and I have been making a trip around gun and pawn shops almost weekly. One common reply when we asked to see any Marlin lever action guns is, "The owner takes any that come in home with him.".

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to mention this guy started the big spill about how it had the JM stamp on the barrel and how important the was and so on. I told him they all had that stamp on them before they left the factory and a rarer gun would be one that didn't have it. Oh well, no biggy here.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a 1963 Texan I bought at a LGS a couple of years ago for $325 OTD. Granted my has not been a closet queen and certainly is used but that may give you some reference.
Appreciate your response and comparison and I myself have 3 other Texan models to compare to and the guy was asking just a little to much. If it had been a $550 gun and he came down to $500 and I thought it was worth it he would have had a sale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.